Player Watch #43: Brynn Teakle

Remove this Banner Ad

Im not a recruiter.

But someone who failed at AFL level and was proven very inadequate as a ruckman doesn’t appear to be a smart choice.

So you admittedly have no idea but you'll sit at your keyboard and sling shit? You're coming across as a bit of a campaigner in this thread.

It was a second round pick in the MSD FFS!

I think this actually gives him great upside. It's hard to get a limited tap ruckman to add other strings to their bow. But in this case he has a really interesting mix of height, bulk, agility, kicking depth and well, chutzpah. Statistically he looks like he chalks up a few tackles and finds a bit of the ball.

If we can develop his ruck craft to simply a break even standard, you just never know what he might become.
Worst case scenario he plays VFL until the end of 2025, on what you expect is a low wage, and offers a layer of protection to Goad.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

you literally have port fans saying every single game he played his opponent was best on ground and you're all expecting a good ruckman. it's comical and typical of this board.

we are the worst side of the AFL era for a reason. we continually make stupid decisions like this.

the same people here are positive every time and every single time they're proven wrong.

this forum rarely has any semblance of objectivity and realism when it comes to the decisions we make. the amount of ridiculous contracts we have given to shit footballers keeps growing.
LOL. All I said was that Collingwood must have had some interest in him because he was training with them.

I have no opinion one way or the other other than he's a round 2 MSD pick so its unlikely much will come of it. He's a tall player who can provide some structure so if he drags a defender away from Larkey and kick's the odd goal that's a win imo.

This has to be the most hilarious thread there is.

Pick 15 of a mid season draft 😆 😂 😆

And he clearly hits a big tick of a need for us (fwd who can ruck)

Is he any good at either?? Probably not.

Is he likely to play? 💯 which is why we got him. Could snag us a win with the structure he will provide.

So what if he's on our list next year we don't know what north are thinking with lists. Comben might even play fwd when logue is back, so a fwd line of larkey, comben and teakle could work tbh.

Or it might not... but who cares its pick 15 in the mid season draft 😄 🤣 😂 😆 😄

Surprised, but leaves open the possibility his best position hasn't been tried yet.

From the highlights i thought his tap worked looked the weakest of his attributes. He'll be fine as a second ruck taking 10%, but didnt look AFL no1 standard. That said he'll learn to use his strength better practicing with X who'll rag doll him if he doesn't.
Everybody says big men take longer to adjust into their roles at AFL level. This guy looks a bit thin - maybe they need to get a few chicken parmas and dim sims into him to get a bit of meat on his frame.

If he can take the forward position that Pink is currently being tried in then this would be an OK pickup. I hope the guy thrives at North.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

you literally have port fans saying every single game he played his opponent was best on ground and you're all expecting a good ruckman. it's comical and typical of this board.

we are the worst side of the AFL era for a reason. we continually make stupid decisions like this.

the same people here are positive every time and every single time they're proven wrong.

this forum rarely has any semblance of objectivity and realism when it comes to the decisions we make. the amount of ridiculous contracts we have given to shit footballers keeps growing.

This sounded like hyperbole so I thought I'd take a few minutes to investigate Brynn Teakle's AFL games:

1. Round 14, 2022 vs Sydney. He had 3 kicks, 2 handballs, 1 mark and 9 hitouts. He went off injured in the second quarter. His direct opponent was Peter Ladhams who had 7 kicks, 3 handballs, 1 mark and 23 hitotuts and did not figure in the coaches votes.
  2. Round 21, 2022 vs Richmond. He had 4 kicks, 8 handballs, 1 mark and 19 hitouts. His direct opponent was premiership ruckman Toby Nankervis who had 15 kicks, 14 handballs, 4 marks and 44 hitotuts and got 6 coaches votes.
  3. Round 6, 2023 vs West Coast. He had 6 kicks, 8 handballs, 2 marks and 34 hitouts. His direct opponent was Bailey Williams who had 10 kicks, 11 handballs, 2 marks and 37 hitouts and got 7 coaches votes.
  4. Round 7, 2023 vs StKilda. He had 0 kicks, 8 handballs, 0 marks and 18 hitouts. His direct opponent was Rowan Marshall who had 19 kicks, 7 handballs, 6 marks, and 28 hitouts and got 6 coaches votes.
  5. Round 8, 2023 vs Essendon. He had 2 kicks, 5 handballs, 3 marks and 14 hitouts. His direct opponent was Sam Draper who had 11 kicks, 5 handballs, 2 marks and 24 hitouts and got 3 coaches votes.
  6. Round 9, 2023 vs North Melbourne. He had 8 kicks, 4 handballs, 0 marks, 17 hitouts and kicked a goal. His direct opponent was Todd Goldstein who had 15 kicks, 9 handballs, 5 marks, and 56 hitouts, but no coaches votes.

So in 6 games, not once was his opponent best on ground despite coming up against some very good players. The most coaches votes any direct opponent ever received was Bailey Williams and going by the stats, he appears to have acquitted himself quite well that day. In fact, statistically, it was his best game.

It's really quite sad that you throw around terms like objectivity and realism when the evidence you present are the ramblings from some nuffies from Port Adelaide. I don't know if this bloke's going to make it as an AFL player or if we have any greater intention for him than to serve as insurance for 18 months but he deserves just a little more credit than having you wipe your arse on his record without even taking the time to glance at it.

This sounded like hyperbole so I thought I'd take a few minutes to investigate Brynn Teakle's AFL games:

1. Round 14, 2022 vs Sydney. He had 3 kicks, 2 handballs, 1 mark and 9 hitouts. He went off injured in the second quarter. His direct opponent was Peter Ladhams who had 7 kicks, 3 handballs, 1 mark and 23 hitotuts and did not figure in the coaches votes.
  2. Round 21, 2022 vs Richmond. He had 4 kicks, 8 handballs, 1 mark and 19 hitouts. His direct opponent was premiership ruckman Toby Nankervis who had 15 kicks, 14 handballs, 4 marks and 44 hitotuts and got 6 coaches votes.
  3. Round 6, 2023 vs West Coast. He had 6 kicks, 8 handballs, 2 marks and 34 hitouts. His direct opponent was Bailey Williams who had 10 kicks, 11 handballs, 2 marks and 37 hitouts and got 7 coaches votes.
  4. Round 7, 2023 vs StKilda. He had 0 kicks, 8 handballs, 0 marks and 18 hitouts. His direct opponent was Rowan Marshall who had 19 kicks, 7 handballs, 6 marks, and 28 hitouts and got 6 coaches votes.
  5. Round 8, 2023 vs Essendon. He had 2 kicks, 5 handballs, 3 marks and 14 hitouts. His direct opponent was Sam Draper who had 11 kicks, 5 handballs, 2 marks and 24 hitouts and got 3 coaches votes.
  6. Round 9, 2023 vs North Melbourne. He had 8 kicks, 4 handballs, 0 marks, 17 hitouts and kicked a goal. His direct opponent was Todd Goldstein who had 15 kicks, 9 handballs, 5 marks, and 56 hitouts, but no coaches votes.

So in 6 games, not once was his opponent best on ground despite coming up against some very good players. The most coaches votes any direct opponent ever received was Bailey Williams and going by the stats, he appears to have acquitted himself quite well that day. In fact, statistically, it was his best game.

It's really quite sad that you throw around terms like objectivity and realism when the evidence you present are the ramblings from some nuffies from Port Adelaide. I don't know if this bloke's going to make it as an AFL player or if we have any greater intention for him than to serve as insurance for 18 months but he deserves just a little more credit than having you wipe your arse on his record without even taking the time to glance at it.
And he has only played 6 games. What ruckman has been best on ground in his first 6 games

I've seen the bloke play. He's a terrible ruckman. The fact that every single one of their fans is telling you he can't ruck and you're optimistic only proves you're blindly supporting the club.

The same club in its current state that is the worst in AFL history, our sustained period of being shit is unparalled because we keep making terrible decisoins like this. Again perfected by the same recruiting idiots who have got us in this position.
Yet you blindly trust them and the decisions they're making?

Says more about you than it does about me.
The same people who wonder why we're so ****ing terrible and then defend the club, the contracts, recruiting and proceed to regularly talk up about our endless stream of shit players.

And in 3 of the 6 games he played last season his opponent got more than 6 coaches votes - considering the fact Port were winning most weeks this is really something. The other game his opponent got 3.

And in terms of the ones he didn't - well Port smashed us and this is what the write up said about Goldstein

Round 9 v Goldstein - this is the write up from somewhere on the match
"Veteran Todd Goldstein was the best big man on the ground with 24 disposals, 11 clearances and a massive 56 hitouts in one of his best games in recent times."
Yep sounds like Teakle did really well. Goldstein got no votes because we got smashed. But he smashed Teakle by any objective measure.

His games last season were quite clearly shit and his opponent clearly had a big influence in all games (except for maybe the Sydney one)

I'll keep being objective and realistic. But if is funny that you're argument consisted of backing up the point that Teakle was regularly beaten and his opponent was regularly one of the best players on the ground.

Last edited:

well, well, well... I see you're a brady apologist.

keep backing up the worst list manager in the history of the afl. keep defending the terrible contracts. the terrible trades. the shit recycled players. none of it is brady's fault.

nothing the club has done and does do is wrong. we're just the shittest club in the history of the afl for no reason.

Posters complain we need a ruck/forward. We get one in the MSD. Thats a few picks after the rookie draft.
Its designed to fill needs, players on LTI etc.

Ive seen him every game this year playing for East Fremantle. Its a lower level than even the VFL.
He goes ok, not a worldbeater.

Maybe we can develop a player on the talls take longer plan.

Better than doing nothing.

Posters complain we need a ruck/forward. We get one in the MSD. Thats a few picks after the rookie draft.
Its designed to fill needs, players on LTI etc.

Ive seen him every game this year playing for East Fremantle. Its a lower level than even the VFL.
He goes ok, not a worldbeater.

Maybe we can develop a player on the talls take longer plan.

Better than doing nothing.
We're pulling out the CCJ 'talls take longer defence' for someone in his mid 20's and in his physical prime?

I think the problem here is some are talking him up as an AFL prospect and someone who will improve us.
If the talk was solely oh here's there and if Xerri gets injured can play then fine but don't ignore the fact he failed at AFL level before because he wasn't a good ruckman. Port actively went for not just the Richmond guy but also the Bulldogs second choice ruckman instead of keeping him.

Our fans need to stop doing this in every thread. Be measured. Be realistic. The fact our club routinely gets things wrong at a rate not seen before at AFL level should encourage anyone to be cautious about any decision we make.

There does seem to be a parallel on here between cluelessness and Rawlings apologism so maybe I should be more aware of who the comical ones are before getting too responsive to an opinion. If anyone is still defending Rawlings then their opinion was long since rendered irrelevant and deluded.

Everybody says big men take longer to adjust into their roles at AFL level. This guy looks a bit thin - maybe they need to get a few chicken parmas and dim sims into him to get a bit of meat on his frame.

If he can take the forward position that Pink is currently being tried in then this would be an OK pickup. I hope the guy thrives at North.
Id be almost sure we're taking him for that CCJ role, and given that, id be surprised if we weren't into Lobb for the same.

As for the 18 months people worry about, think of it as he's replacing Free for next season. He moves 100 times better than Free, not his fault just the big mans build.

I've seen the bloke play. He's a terrible ruckman. The fact that every single one of their fans is telling you he can't ruck and you're optimistic only proves you're blindly supporting the club.

The same club in its current state that is the worst in AFL history, our sustained period of being shit is unparalled because we keep making terrible decisoins like this. Again perfected by the same recruiting idiots who have got us in this position.
Yet you blindly trust them and the decisions they're making?

Says more about you than it does about me.
The same people who wonder why we're so ****ing terrible and then defend the club, the contracts, recruiting and proceed to regularly talk up about our endless stream of shit players.

And in 3 of the 6 games he played last season his opponent got more than 6 coaches votes - considering the fact Port were winning most weeks this is really something. The other game his opponent got 3.

And in terms of the ones he didn't - well Port smashed us and this is what the write up said about Goldstein

Round 9 v Goldstein - this is the write up from somewhere on the match
"Veteran Todd Goldstein was the best big man on the ground with 24 disposals, 11 clearances and a massive 56 hitouts in one of his best games in recent times."
Yep sounds like Teakle did really well. Goldstein got no votes because we got smashed. But he smashed Teakle by any objective measure.

His games last season were quite clearly shit and his opponent clearly had a big influence in all games (except for maybe the Sydney one)

I'll keep being objective and realistic. But if is funny that you're argument consisted of backing up the point that Teakle was regularly beaten and his opponent was regularly one of the best players on the ground.
Doesn't surprise me a great deal. As i said from looking at the highlights his ruck work looked the weakest of his traits and id be almost certain we're taking him as a forward/ second ruck.

It looks like he's a solid mark, technically a good kick and spotted up some nice targets while moving particularly well. I like some of the plays where he isnt afraid to play on and have a run. Look the kicking action for the 50m set shot goal, the gather and snap goal from the forward pocket.

Im very happy with this pick, at worst he's replacing Free on the list next season at best, well he has some traits that might just surprise.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back