Player Watch #43 Jacob Bauer

Remove this Banner Ad

Its Time Adventure GIF by Dune Movie

Reckon if the season turned into absolute crap we play all 3 (Bauer, Bradtke & Ryan) and give Riewoldt and Lynch a rest. LOL
May as well see who can play, if any.

Losing Lynch hurts because he is our only forward that consistantly crashes packs. I reckon bauer can bring that, he flys at everything and will at least bring the ball to ground where players like Bolton can do their best work. Should be strongly considering him soon

His been playing in defence in the vfl.
Only for the last week before that down front.

Wouldn't be the worst call to give him a go. He is very aggressive in his attack on the ball in the air and had 20 odd possessions in defence so has found a bit of the leather which can run you into form and confidence.

Jack for Lynch obviously.
Is it Ross for Graham or do they go a bit more aggressive and give Bauer a crack.

Losing Lynch hurts because he is our only forward that consistantly crashes packs. I reckon bauer can bring that, he flys at everything and will at least bring the ball to ground where players like Bolton can do their best work. Should be strongly considering him soon
Ryan contests well too , Bauer needs to be a sec or third tall , def worth bringing in

It’s a bit weird they played him in defence in the VFL last round. He’s been consistently kicking goals

I didn’t see the game, was it because the ball just wasn’t getting down there?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s a bit weird they played him in defence in the VFL last round. He’s been consistently kicking goals

I don’t know the answer but maybe it was forced by the injuries to Biggie and Tarrant.

I’m going to presume Biggie was in the ruck and Miller left defence to take over. Miller had 32? hit outs so our main ruck on the day.

Also weird because we have plenty of options for the backline. Young has been really good, Gibcus will be back soon, Broad will be back soon. Biggy showed signs up back.

Literally next to no options up forward. Bauer has been the best forward in the 2's and they randomly move him back 3 games in. Sorry, that's just not good development

Last edited:
Miller crashes packs.

I'd like the holy trinity of Miller, Sampson and Bauer to get a couple of games each

Bauer started the game in the backline. Great shock to those who know (obviously not MSC) his history. Played in backline for Swans, no good. Went to SA where he was tried as a backman, no good. Shifted forward where he clicked with multiple goals and attracted attention from RFC who recruited him. Played him forward with increasing success, building rapport with Bradke all looking good for future. Oh! wouldn't it be a good idea to see if he can play in the backline? No!!!!!!!!!

Also weird because we have plenty of options for the backline. Young has been really good, Gibcus will be back soon, Broad will be back soon. Biggy showed signs up back.

Literally next to no options up forward. Bauer has been the best forward in the 2's and they randomly move him back 3 games in. Sorry, that's just not good development
Imagine with only 7 listed players that we anticipated a hiding , more work to do in back half , won’t do him any harm and got ~15p I think which is up on his usual output

I haven't been watching the VFL, but it seems he was playing well up forward after being recruited as a forward, and we've decided to shift him back, as we do.

Given our lack of depth in the forwards, and our relative strength and depth with 190+cm defenders, can anyone explain this move to me?

I dont see the point, we need 190+cm goalkickers more than we need defenders.

I haven't been watching the VFL, but it seems he was playing well up forward after being recruited as a forward, and we've decided to shift him back, as we do.

Given our lack of depth in the forwards, and our relative strength and depth with 190+cm defenders, can anyone explain this move to me?

I believe they said they wanted him to work om his defence a little bit and get his hands on the ball abit more.

He was awful up forward, kicking a few easy goals was hiding the fact he had no idea how to read the ball and consistently get to contest.

Best chance of making it is a defender in a similar manner to Josh Battle.

It is a fair question. After the rd 2 match where Bauer got some goals and appeared to play alright, Steve Morris said they wanted to see more work rate to get closer to the ball more often. I presume he was 60-70m from the kicker at times when they'd have preferred to see him 40-50m from the kicker. it is pretty obvious they don't see that method of play working for Bauer at AFL level. So I guess they want to try something different with him to see if it makes some pennies drop or maybe even discover a new potential role for him. Not 100% sure but maybe they also thought he was cutting Bradtke's lunch a bit?

I think at 192cm and approaching 21 years of age, Bauer is going to need to develop a proper tank pretty smartly or he might be on shaky ground. He was injured during the pre-season though so he might have a bit of upside to come later in the season as he gathers fitness. I saw bits of the match last night and he did a couple of nice things in defence, but I wasn't watching closely enough to tell if he was doing much wrong as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #43 Jacob Bauer

Remove this Banner Ad

Back