Player Watch #44: Cameron Zurhaar - [AFL.com] CZ mgr says 'wants to see improvement' & 'team success' - CZ 4.1 vs MFC

Remove this Banner Ad

Almost at a stage where I’m happy to see him go. Loving all the young guys signing on and the genuine excitement they all seem to have.

If he’s willing to pack up and leave for an extra 50k (about 25k) after tax then so be it. He’s going to see his ex team mates winning flags.

I don’t care what people say, jumping ship and to a contender and winning a flag, means nothing compared to what Larkey, Simpkin, LDU etc will feel if they win one at north

New base salary will be around 520k under the new CBA going forward so your 500k x 3 is far too low an offer
I'd have offered more 650-700k but they might be thinking he takes TT's money or it might be enough to trigger band 1 from other clubs offers, but we can't be sure if 800k will trigger band 1 under the new CBA to be honest.
We'll see how it plays out I guess.
Is that legit? Fk the AFL, 520k base is more than the prime minister.

They have to take a serious look at gate and member fees to keep people attending. The whole industry is on the take.

Almost at a stage where I’m happy to see him go. Loving all the young guys signing on and the genuine excitement they all seem to have.

If he’s willing to pack up and leave for an extra 50k (about 25k) after tax then so be it. He’s going to see his ex team mates winning flags.

I don’t care what people say, jumping ship and to a contender and winning a flag, means nothing compared to what Larkey, Simpkin, LDU etc will feel if they win one at north

I'd be disappointed in him if he does move to Collingwood. Such a sugarhit move. There's no guarantee that we'll win a flag soon of course, but the same can easily be said about the Pies. It's a bit been there, done that right now for them. At least we have a young, emerging side that is starving for it.

Is it the crowds? Lol

Didn't he close his social media stuff cos of the abuse he copped from some fans early in the season?

That might be why he wants to go.
fwiw he’s back on now

Get a win this week and that I reckon will put the ball in his court to make a decision now as the team signs will be obvious after the last month

Blind Freddy can see we will be a force

fwiw he’s back on now

Get a win this week and that I reckon will put the ball in his court to make a decision now as the team signs will be obvious after the last month

Blind Freddy can see we will be a force

That might have been enough to sour him on things tho. At Collingwood there'd be alot of other players in the spotlight ahead of him.

But that's if he wants to go. I'm not really even convinced of that. I thought he was terrible against Adelaide in Hobart and ten time better against Port in Hobart a month later, in terms of how hard he worked off the ball etc and since then he looks like he really gives a shit. We can compare him to McKay last year and to me he doesn't look like McKay.

Yeah, I’ve always rated Zuurhar, highly and even thought he had captain material if he kept progressing about two years ago.

But now it’s getting a bit too close to the McKay situation. One in which I think we’d be silly not to explore.

I was ecstatic about the idea of Cam, Brayden, PC as a mid- forward line.

But now we’ve got to be developing Ford, Duursma, and Curtis (obviously George when he recovers).

With ford putting as much pressure and tackling the same amount, if not more than Zuurhar, let’s go down the McKay path.

All we’ve heard is waiting to see progression, 750k deal on the table and wants to open a wine bar.

They have to take a serious look at gate and member fees to keep people attending. The whole industry is on the take.
From the AFL site. I don't think they'd make it up. Average wage in 2023 was 441k. So not a stretch imo.

"By the end of the new pay deal, which runs until the end of 2027, the average AFL player salary will be about $519,000"

I'd say a large part is the cut of the new tv rights deal with CH7 and Foxtel etc.

The club better match if he does choose * or the pies, don’t care about another top 3 pick, would rather make either of them pay premium which includes a best 22 player and pick.
no way do we help these clubs fill holes for free
Don't agree. You take the top 3 pick. That could be Luke Trainor in the draft or you could split the pick and bring in two kids in the top 12 or use one of those split picks to trade for a player.
Alternatively, we go after Gruzewski from GWS with our F2 as a Cam replacement if we're after a player.
I don't think we necessarily need to do that with Duursma/Ford/Curtis, we need a crumbing forward.

I understand the sentiment of wanting that club to pay but the best 22 players would have to agree to a trade and I wouldn't expect any to leave a potential finals or premiership team for a bottom three team.
You could certainly offer Cam and our 2nd rounder for Nate Caddy and they'd probably laugh.
Perhaps you ask Pies for their 2nd rounder and Archer Reid type of kid in the VFL.
Other than that Macrae/Jo Richards/Jiath types don't really get me all that excited as a player and pick trade.
Worst case scenario the match and trade scenario could end up being a mediation session over we want their F1 vs 2nd and F2 back and forth between the teams if the Pies want to play funny buggers Dodo styles.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Didn't he close his social media stuff cos of the abuse he copped from some fans early in the season?

That might be why he wants to go.
it's a convenient out. Just like the "waiting for the team to improve" excuse. He's painted himself into a corner because of the JHF comments. Will come off looking like a bit of a hypocrite.
He's been much better since the bye - probably as we have some extra tall timber around him.

I would love to see tackle numbers increase, still my biggest annoyance with Cam is the drop off of his tackle/pressure game. Defenders used to fear him running around in the forward line.
Probably has something to do with getting tattoo's during the season. I know players can do whatever they want to their body but getting tattoo's midweek and then playing on the weekend is pretty ridiculous. before anyone says "how do you know?" - I'm friends with his tattoo artist. Probably doesn't want to throw his body in 100% just in case he scuffs a fresh tattoo on the grass.

it's a convenient out. Just like the "waiting for the team to improve" excuse. He's painted himself into a corner because of the JHF comments. Will come off looking like a bit of a hypocrite.

I'm not fully convinced he'll leave yet. He said he wanted to see improvement and its obviously there and last time he signed after the season was over as well.

He might, he might not. But I don't think we're in a position to make a call one way or the other from here.

Probably has something to do with getting tattoo's during the season. I know players can do whatever they want to their body but getting tattoo's midweek and then playing on the weekend is pretty ridiculous. before anyone says "how do you know?" - I'm friends with his tattoo artist. Probably doesn't want to throw his body in 100% just in case he scuffs a fresh tattoo on the grass.

This actually pisses me off. He's a professional athlete. If getting tattoos interferes with his responsibilities to his team mates and the supporters then I dunno ... maybe he should leave.

That lack of professionalism is tied to why we are at the bottom.

True, and the biggest take is the broadcast deal... hence the draft has to be rorted to benefit the northern clubs, hence the draw has to be rigged to suit the 'big' clubs, and so it goes on

Get your Tatts done in the offseason mate

The prime minister gets paid off for life. These players have a small window.
Apropos of politics, I’ve just seen that MP’s can claim $310 a day ‘travel allowance’ to live in their OWN INVESTMENT PROPERTIES in Canberra.

I mean, what in the **** is that.

Call bullshit on this.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back