Past #44: Cruize Garlett - delisted at end of 2012 season after rejecting 1yr contract extension from NM

Remove this Banner Ad

Now Mr Gus lets not turn this thread into a 'he said, so she now says' type thingy, besides the Bulldogs have had their day in the sun and unfortunately it pissed down from mid morning onwards.

Now Mr Gus lets not turn this thread into a 'he said, so she now says' type thingy, besides the Bulldogs have had their day in the sun and unfortunately it pissed down from mid morning onwards.

Still midnight for North Melbourne then.

Well played.

In all seriousness, given I contributed to this thread slightly, then just shot back at a bit of a dig at one of my players, do you think Cruize will get anything of worth?

Cruize appears to be remarkably similar to Nathan Djerrkura. Fringe midfielder who just lacks the capability to step up to AFL level. We thought with Djerrkura that it was just a matter of him not being able to break into a quality Geelong side. We gave up a 3rd or 4th round pick for him. Do you think Cruize will be worth anything given he can't even break a game in a bottom 8 side?

Yeah I knew you were just stickin' up for one of ya own, and fair enough too.

On Cruise, as you say he can't get a game with a team sitting 12th!! And was over looked by all in the draft and then got rookied.I'd think we'd get 5th's of f/all for the young fella.

So he's probably worth keeping for another season if possible.

Well played.

In all seriousness, given I contributed to this thread slightly, then just shot back at a bit of a dig at one of my players, do you think Cruize will get anything of worth?

Cruize appears to be remarkably similar to Nathan Djerrkura. Fringe midfielder who just lacks the capability to step up to AFL level. We thought with Djerrkura that it was just a matter of him not being able to break into a quality Geelong side. We gave up a 3rd or 4th round pick for him. Do you think Cruize will be worth anything given he can't even break a game in a bottom 8 side?

I think Cruize has shown that he can play at AFL level. 29 touches and close to BOG against Freo is probably his career highlight to date. He's not getting a game for us ahead of some of our young inside mids because his height and speed limits his upside. There's also a question mark over his defensive game which I'd put down to his poor endurance. He has shown a capacity to win plenty of the ball at AFL level in pretty limited game time.

I think he'd be a good chance of getting a game at Richmond, Port, Brisbane, GC, Freo, Essendon and the Saints. Not that we're better than all of those teams, just that we have more inside midfielders.

I doubt many clubs would hand over a decent draft pick. Our best chance would be a straight swap for a running player who currently can't get a game.

Does anyone know why hes not getting a run? Will he ask for a trade at seasons end?

I think he was very stiff early in the season and wasn't given a real chance. Since he's been back in the VFL our inside midfield has been functioning pretty nicely and there aren't really any spots open. I guess it is a team balance thing. In the VFL he would be working on things like fitness, spread from the contest to win more outside ball, defensive running, and disposal efficiency which was a mixed bag in his AFL games.

It's a bit strange that he is never even listed as an emergency. I really hope he somehow gets an opportunity soon.

Round 16 - BYE

Round 17 - North Ballarat VFL

STATS:
26 disposals
16 contested possessions
10 clearances

Hawthorn listed youngster Jordan Williams had the job of hard tagging him. Hawks supporters reported that he kept him quiet, but Cruize clearly still got a truck load of work done at the stoppages. A couple of goals would have capped off a really nice day, but he missed his two chances, one of them pretty disappointing going by the radio commentary.

Not sure about the eligibility rules for that. Cruize doesn't play the most eye-catching brand of footy so a lot of his work can be missed.

Round 18 - North Ballarat VFL

STATS:

20 disposals
8 contested possessions

Going by the stats it seems like he was much quieter this week, most likely due to increased opposition attention. I didn't see the game.

Brad Scott mentioned in the Brisbane post match press conference that Cruize could step into an AFL midfield right now, but he's being kept out by Swallow, Wells, Greenwood, and Ziebell for those roles right in the guts.

Not sure about the eligibility rules for that. Cruize doesn't play the most eye-catching brand of footy so a lot of his work can be missed.

39 possies certainly grabs attention. Is Cruize excess to your requirements? I imagine there'd be plenty of clubs circling.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

what would he be worth.
Can't be bothered entertaining what he is worth in terms of draft picks. What we want is a rebounding defender, under 24, with good kicking skills. I guess one who hasn't been able to cement a spot in the 22 yet. So a like for like trade. Got any?

Can't be bothered entertaining what he is worth in terms of draft picks. What we want is a rebounding defender, under 24, with good kicking skills. I guess one who hasn't been able to cement a spot in the 22 yet. So a like for like trade. Got any?

Bartlett.

Bartlett.
If we could get that deal done, I would be pretty happy, however risky it be due to Bartlett's knee issues. Bartlett would be a good addition off a wing.

Maybe but I think we would see what Barlett can do at AFL level before we would trade him. Why isn't Garlett getting a game? he has been tearing up in the reserves.
Cruize is unlucky that he plays a role in which we have an abundance of players. He is predominantly an inside mid, and a very good one at that, but he is now behind Swallow, Greenwood, Bastinac, Ziebell, Cunnington and Wells in the midfield rotations. He has performed better than some mentioned here, but the coach is working on developing that group regardless of Curize's output at VFL level, which is a little unfair really.

Garlett has had issues with endurance, intensity and spread at AFL level but has worked really hard at those, and combined with his excellent reading of the play and top class hands has now become one of the best, if not the best mid in the VFL, constantly racking up big numbers and getting in the bests. He'd be playing at most other sides in the bottom half of the comp I reckon. I feel sorry for him really, because he is very talented, just the wrong type of player for our club right now.

Cruize is unlucky that he plays a role in which we have an abundance of players. He is predominantly an inside mid, and a very good one at that, but he is now behind Swallow, Greenwood, Bastinac, Ziebell, Cunnington and Wells in the midfield rotations. He has performed better than some mentioned here, but the coach is working on developing that group regardless of Curize's output at VFL level, which is a little unfair really.

Garlett has had issues with endurance, intensity and spread at AFL level but has worked really hard at those, and combined with his excellent reading of the play and top class hands has now become one of the best, if not the best mid in the VFL, constantly racking up big numbers and getting in the bests. He'd be playing at most other sides in the bottom half of the comp I reckon. I feel sorry for him really, because he is very talented, just the wrong type of player for our club right now.

Would you do a trade for our compo pick?

Would you do a trade for our compo pick?
Is that in the late 20's to early 30's range?

If so then yep. In normal draft years that's probably a little too good considering he was a rookie listed player that can't break into the best 22. However, being a thin draft, adding a bloke at 22 who can automatically add to a midfield and who has been in the system for some time could come at that cost. Would depend on competition though.

With no disrespect intended, I'd be surprised if the Lions offered our unactivated compo pick for Garlett. It can be used any time in the next 4 drafts at the end of the first round (so from the late teens from next year). The activated compo pick is probably over-paying as well. Though as suggested it may be worth it in a light draft, but Hadley has a track record of getting diamonds from deeper in the draft and I suspect he has his eye on someone with that pick already. The Lions are otherwise pretty light-on for trade bait. Is he contracted for next year?

Is that in the late 20's to early 30's range?

If so then yep. In normal draft years that's probably a little too good considering he was a rookie listed player that can't break into the best 22. However, being a thin draft, adding a bloke at 22 who can automatically add to a midfield and who has been in the system for some time could come at that cost. Would depend on competition though.

I think it would around the mid 20s range

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #44: Cruize Garlett - delisted at end of 2012 season after rejecting 1yr contract extension from NM

Remove this Banner Ad

Back