Past #44: Cruize Garlett - delisted at end of 2012 season after rejecting 1yr contract extension from NM

Remove this Banner Ad

He doesn't have any trade value. If he's not kept on for the next year (and I really hope that's not the case) it will be one of those nothing, pick 87 trades, or he'll have to try his luck in the draft.

Round 19 - North Ballarat VFL

STATS:

39 disposals
9 clearances

He and Thomas put on a real show. Would have been a great game to watch.

Round 20 - Hawthorn

STATS:
21 disposals (9k, 12hb) @ 58% efficiency
11 contested possessions
5 clearances
6 tackles
1 behind

Cruize was finally listed as an emergency and immediately got his chance after Lachie Hansen pulled out with illness at the last minute. I haven't had a chance to watch the replay, but I thought he did well and played an important role. He was one of the best players on the ground in the first quarter and solid after that. Most people would have probably had him in our best two or three midfielders with Ziebell and Wells.

Swallow had his worst game in three years, so most of the grunt work was left up to Ziebell and Garlett. In all of the important stoppage areas he did well: he was 2nd for us in clearances and contested possessions, and equal 1st in tackles. His ball-handling looked clean in the wet, and he showed good strength breaking a couple of tackles.

In atrocious conditions for skills I thought his field kicking was better than most. He did have one disposal clanger, but I can't remember it. Kicking with the wind in the opening quarter, he almost scored a nice left-foot goal out of the stoppage, but it went through for a point.

On the negative side of things, he gave Hawthorn the automatic clearance with two or three clumsy free-kicks at the stoppages. As a team we were focused on blocking out their third-man-up, and Cruize was a bit too obvious and aggressive from memory.

I'm confident that this will be his minimum output if he's given a decent chance to find his feet in the AFL. His game time was the best he's had all year, but it was still in the bottom four for us. Something is very wrong if he doesn't hold his spot this week, considering some of the other midfield performances we had against Hawthorn.

Round 21 - BYE

Thought it was his best game for the club tonight
Got plenty of game time and really stood up.Some of his hands in close were really quick...finished off his work off with 2 nice goals!!!

It wasnt the worst new that Cunners was a late withdrawl. Cruise proved he belongs at AFL level today

2nd for us in clearances again this week despite being sub.

I am very confident he can be a quality AFL player if he's just given a proper run. Seeing him sub again was disappointing, but he got an opportunity to come on early and made the most of it.

His clearance work in close has always been good, but tonight every kick he had was a damaging, lace-out pass or a classy running goal.

Just checked his stat and he was pick 80 in the 2009 draft...if he can continue to develop he will prove to be an absolute steal!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd like to see him play in defense in the Yarran/Davis type role. Maybe eventually take over from Rawlings.
Don't know why people always suggest this. He's 172cm, not a particularly strong body and not that quick. His man would kill him. Yarran and Davis' speed helps them defend and there's also Puopolo who has a strong body. Can only play as a one-touch inside mid with link up work but he's damn good at that.

Don't know why people always suggest this. He's 172cm, not a particularly strong body and not that quick. His man would kill him. Yarran and Davis' speed helps them defend and there's also Puopolo who has a strong body. Can only play as a one-touch inside mid with link up work but he's damn good at that.

Bullshit.

He has played some pretty damaging games in a defensive sweeper role just 12 months ago, which is what Yarran, etc do.

His kicking and handball are first rate along with very good decision making. His ability to read the play and be in the right spot at the right time is second to none.

No, he doesn't have the pace of those guys, but he has the added capability of a lock down role with his exceptional tackling and defensive pressure that those boy's do not possess.

Bullshit.

His kicking and handball are first rate along with very good decision making. His ability to read the play and be in the right spot at the right time is second to none.

I agree he played well tonight, but his handball skills are very average, and for his size, he needs to get a lot quicker

Not so much for his speed but for his skills and decision making under pressure. Against a press you need guys with good skills and have good awareness and decision making under pressure. If you don't believe he can play this role then watch the last few VFL grand finals again.

Just checked his stat and he was pick 80 in the 2009 draft...if he can continue to develop he will prove to be an absolute steal!!

He was actually pick number 30 in the 2007 rookie draft, and promoted to the senior list at pick 80 in 2009. So even better, another rookie steps up.

It seems we are back to the same place we were last year with Cruize.

I think the general consensus was then, he would be a lock for best 22 this year.

Then along came Atley, Harper and Co and somehow he got shunted out of the team.

I think Scott has been a little unfair on him this year because his upside is not seen to be as great as some of the aforementioned players.

Cruize cant play in the backline cause every side would make him play fullback and he is to short for that role.
He is an inside player with the skills to find open space and to be a great link player.

He should be picked before Cunnington at the moment as he has been a greater contributor to the team

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #44: Cruize Garlett - delisted at end of 2012 season after rejecting 1yr contract extension from NM

Remove this Banner Ad

Back