Past #44: Cruize Garlett - delisted at end of 2012 season after rejecting 1yr contract extension from NM

Remove this Banner Ad

Great decision maker, clean disposal, quick in close and actually has good pace (which a lot on here don't seem to think so). He's in our best 22, whist that be in the middle, across half back or used as a super sub.

But with the depth of our midfield resulting in a lack of game time over the course of the year, unfortunately I reckon another club might pick him up. That would be a shame because he adds to our stocks.

Cruize at half back??? No chance, he is an in and under midfielder.

That's his problem. He is undersized and not quick which makes him a one position player. So he is either good enough to be part of the first string on-ballers or he is not in the team at all.

I suggested across half back because another dimension to his game is his polished field kicking in space. I know how good he is as an in and under type player but we have plenty of those types already and since he's finding it difficult to break in to our midfield, another option would be to use him out of defense given we lack class and quality decision makers under pressure.

He is a bit undersized and isn't lightning quick, but he does have pace, so think its every bit a possibility providing he doesn't get a consistent gig in the middle and of course another club doesn't pick him up.

His kicking is solid but not good enough for half back. He doesn't have blistering pace and he doesn't have any overhead ability.

He's a blue collar midfielder. A bloke that can find the ball in traffic, can hand off in close, and set up his team mates. Pure and simple.

Looking at the stat sheet he did more than expected from the sub:

50% game time
6 clearances (second only to Swallow's 7)
2 goals
9 contested possies, 16 in total

:thumbsu:

will he start against the saints or be our new "super-sub"?

Looking at the stat sheet he did more than expected from the sub:

50% game time
6 clearances (second only to Swallow's 7)
2 goals
9 contested possies, 16 in total

:thumbsu:

will he start against the saints or be our new "super-sub"?

He's a talented kid and I love watching him in form.
Saints, he should. The speed will kill the Saints, who were outrun by a Sydney side who isn't that fast. This is what killed us last time by having too many big boys in the team. And I pray that sanity prevails after our last selection debacle.
I dunno, then where does Speighty and Wright fit in when they are fit and firing Round 1 2012?

Most subs don't play from ten minutes into the second term but still, Cruize was excellent.

If he gets dropped he needs to dedicate his week to finding a photo of Brad in an uncompromising position or he could be out.

These are only some quick suggestions, but I'm sure Bon is sweating over this.

Mullet? Maybe the intensity of the game early could show is his inexperience. We know the boy can kick and run, seems like an ideal alternative to come on 5 to 7 minutes into the last.

Bastinac? Fresh legs and skill in a heated ending could be the difference.

These are the best two candiates I could think of. I don't wanna throw LT or Flash as a sub because defensive forward pressure was where we lacked last time against them, and I'm sure the last thing the Saints rebounders would want is these two hot on their tails for 4 quarters.
Also great alternatives to goal, so I guess no dice on those two.

These are only some quick suggestions, but I'm sure Bon is sweating over this.

Mullet? Maybe the intensity of the game early could show is his inexperience. We know the boy can kick and run, seems like an ideal alternative to come on 5 to 7 minutes into the last.

Bastinac? Fresh legs and skill in a heated ending could be the difference.

Not suited to the sub role. Maybe cunnington if he plays? Garlett is the obvious tip for mine.

Not suited to the sub role. Maybe cunnington if he plays? Garlett is the obvious tip for mine.

That leaves the obvious question, who do you take out? Thoughts?
I'm leaning towards the if it 'ain't broke, don't fix it' ethos atm.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Most subs don't play from ten minutes into the second term but still, Cruize was excellent.

If he gets dropped he needs to dedicate his week to finding a photo of Brad in an uncompromising position or he could be out.

Yeah, he had his fair share of game time. He will never be a super sub because he doesn't have the tank to go 100% for a quarter.

When Speighty came on he ran and ran and ran without a break. Garlett would last 7 minutes max.

Great game by him. It's very impressive what he can do in bugger all game time.

Yeah, he had his fair share of game time. He will never be a super sub because he doesn't have the tank to go 100% for a quarter.

When Speighty came on he ran and ran and ran without a break. Garlett would last 7 minutes max.

He was, once again, "exposed" in the Etihad conditions. :eek:

Best thing was he ran forward of the play to get 2 scoring shots and absolutely drilled them. Thats the big difference between us and Coll/Geel is 95% of their mid fielders have no trouble hitting the score board.

Yeah, this week it's the opposition, last time it's the conditions. Such a lucky guy, this Cruize.

You've got it all wrong buddy..

I applauded him for his efforts against the Hawks, I just mentioned how such a contested game with very few spreads would work in his favour.

This week he played well, however it was against a rubbish side. He made the most of his opportunities coming onto the ground so early.

Don't let me stop you talking rubbish though champ :thumbsu:

You've got it all wrong buddy..

I applauded him for his efforts against the Hawks, I just mentioned how such a contested game with very few spreads would work in his favour.

This week he played well, however it was against a rubbish side. He made the most of his opportunities coming onto the ground so early.

Don't let me stop you talking rubbish though champ :thumbsu:

I wasn't talking any rubbish.

It's good that you are "applauding" him then. Your recent posts have looked an awful lot like trying to cut him down with very poorly thought out criticisms though. Fair enough.

I wasn't talking any rubbish.

It's good that you are "applauding" him then. Your recent posts have looked an awful lot like trying to cut him down with very poorly thought out criticisms though. Fair enough.

How exactly are they poorly thought out?

He struggles to spread from the contest - this wasn't a problem against Fremantle because they were undisciplined and lazy and against the Hawks it was tight and contested and suited him well.

When he can prove he has the pace and endurance to spread from the contest and play more than 60% game time he can be included in the best 22 going forward. However at the moment it's clear that Atley, Cunners, Liam Anthony etc. will have him him covered after a big pre-season.

There is only so many inside mids you can have in a team, surely you can understand that?

You would be happy NC.

I thought he made a significant impact when he was subbed on for Jack.

I'm glad he's taking his opportunities.

[YOUTUBE]xwVr_EGo1L0[/YOUTUBE]

Thought I'd put his 2 goals in here for you.

His second is a goodun', finishing off 'The Brothers' work as Teffy put it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #44: Cruize Garlett - delisted at end of 2012 season after rejecting 1yr contract extension from NM

Remove this Banner Ad

Back