AFL Player #47: Jye Menzie - Signs on for 2025 - 18/7

Remove this Banner Ad

Gresham averages 15 disposals (10 effective), 1 goal assist and 5.4 score involvements a game. He had 3 games where he has had 3 goal assists and 2 games with 11 score involvements. Menzie average 8 possessions a game, hasnt had a goal assist all year and averages 1.6 score involvements, with his highest in a game being 3.

So… exactly as I said? That Gresham gets in the game more.

Bit in answering what I was responding to, listing a whole bunch of categories that Menzie doesn’t really provide (defensive/offensive pressure, speed, goals, kicking skills) - I think the valid point stands that Gresham also doesn’t tick many of these boxes.

So… exactly as I said? That Gresham gets in the game more.

Bit in answering what I was responding to, listing a whole bunch of categories that Menzie doesn’t really provide (defensive/offensive pressure, speed, goals, kicking skills) - I think the valid point stands that Gresham also doesn’t tick many of these boxes.
those stat discrepancies are a bit more than "getting involved in the game more", you can question whether its the role we need from a small forward but Gresham is doing most of whats asked of him as a high half forward, he isn't playing the close to goal crumbing/pressure forward role.
His main issue is he is not hitting scoreboard himself enough, but he is still contributing to us scoring by being involved in an above average amount of scoring links a game.

I wonder if this means Ainsworth deal has fallen through?
Don't care. Think Menzie has the potential to be better and costs about 1/3 of Ainsworth.

Would be pretty stressful playing for your career but he just needs to embrace it and realise time is on his side if things click. Needs to keep working on the ability to lose his opponent, and getting in positions to lay tackles.
Time is on his side if things click immediately

EDIT just saw he got another year. Wow. I think it’s a good idea but wasn’t expecting it.

Last edited:
I would of moved him on.. but he’s a bombers player so best of luck to him. And honestly I’d rather 1 more season of Jye over 5 seasons of wondering if Ainsworth is any good

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fine with giving him another year.

I won't be fine with it if we spend time playing him outside the forward line in some kind of backline role.

It's probably a bit harsh but it's hard to remember a small forward with worse ground ball/clean pick up skills than this guy.
He just doesn’t have the “tricks” needed to make it unfortunately, isn’t clean at ground level, can’t stick tackles, not quick enough for his height and position, doesn’t have great goal sense either.

Really not sure why we persist

My 8 year old son can see that Menzie is not best 22. When he saw him in the VFL last week, he said "good, that's where he should stay"

And I agree. It wasn't just him tonight though, Guelfi and Gresham were putrid also

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #47: Jye Menzie - Signs on for 2025 - 18/7

Remove this Banner Ad

Back