AFL Player #47: Jye Menzie - Signs on for 2025 - 18/7

Remove this Banner Ad

I don’t think I have ever seen a footballer with less kicking penetration. Maybe Nick Kommer.
Hmmmm.
Number 5 ;)

And then we go grab Ainsworth.

As we watch Menzie be “nearly adequate” in other roles I reckon we are watching his papers getting stamped

Snelling is a good comparison. Pretty good but not a high ceiling.
Yep and similar to Snell it looks like theyre giving him a chance at different roles to see if he can find a spot before finally making the delist call.

Sidestepped opponents a couple of times today - hadn't really seen him do that before but something I have been hoping to see as he doesn't have the raw pace to lose opponents. Also seemed to be playing a bit more "selfish" (may well have been instructed to do so) - usually looks to pass but went for it with that one near 50 on the run and nailed it, was a nice goal.

Sidestepped opponents a couple of times today - hadn't really seen him do that before but something I have been hoping to see as he doesn't have the raw pace to lose opponents. Also seemed to be playing a bit more "selfish" (may well have been instructed to do so) - usually looks to pass but went for it with that one near 50 on the run and nailed it, was a nice goal.

The time he did lower the eyes (I think an assist to Jedwab?) was awesome too

The time he did lower the eyes (I think an assist to Jedwab?) was awesome too
I didn't see that one. I think the kid just needs a bit of belief and confidence when you hear how deadly he was around goal at lower levels. Have seen him get his hands dirty too so isn't soft. Would be pretty stressful playing for your career but he just needs to embrace it and realise time is on his side if things click. Needs to keep working on the ability to lose his opponent, and getting in positions to lay tackles.

I didn't see that one. I think the kid just needs a bit of belief and confidence when you hear how deadly he was around goal at lower levels. Have seen him get his hands dirty too so isn't soft. Would be pretty stressful playing for your career but he just needs to embrace it and realise time is on his side if things click. Needs to keep working on the ability to lose his opponent, and getting in positions to lay tackles.

It was brilliant - I think early q2. Streaming forward, received a handball, could have blazed away but popped it over to Jedwab (99% sure it was him) for a goal from the goal square. I feel like a lot of fringe players would have taken the shot, with a goal looking better on the stat sheet, but he did the team thing. Was glad to see him get on the end of a few himself.

Totally agree re him having a crack - if he gets the flick, it won’t be through lack of effort.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was brilliant - I think early q2. Streaming forward, received a handball, could have blazed away but popped it over to Jedwab (99% sure it was him) for a goal from the goal square. I feel like a lot of fringe players would have taken the shot, with a goal looking better on the stat sheet, but he did the team thing. Was glad to see him get on the end of a few himself.

Totally agree re him having a crack - if he gets the flick, it won’t be through lack of effort.
Yeah it was

I've said it before but I reckon we should hang onto him for a couple more years and trade him to Tassie, they'll throw decent picks at local talent
I think we should keep him because I think he can play and be a good player for us.

I don't think he's a bad player I just think he's slow and we are already playing guelfi/gresh so I think he's surplus to requirements.

This is where I struggle to see how he fits. He is depth for Guelfi who should really be depth for somebody better.
I was probably in same boat re guelf till this year. Guelfi's ability to play a negating role and also a new found consistency this year has won me over.

I try to look at it from the perspective of 'What does Jye bring to the team overall?'
Is it Kicking skills? Goals? Defensive/Offensive pressure? Marking ability? Pace? Clearances?

And I always struggle to find an answer.....

A tad harsh perhaps.

I basically agree with all of this - and then I wonder which of these boxes Gresham ticks…and I tend to arrive at the same answer.

Gresham simply gets involved in the game a lot more, I’ll give him that. But outside of that…

I basically agree with all of this - and then I wonder which of these boxes Gresham ticks…and I tend to arrive at the same answer.

Gresham simply gets involved in the game a lot more, I’ll give him that. But outside of that…
Gresham can make things happen. I’m yet to see Menzie bring that to the table.

Gresham averages 15 disposals (10 effective), 1 goal assist and 5.4 score involvements a game. He had 3 games where he has had 3 goal assists and 2 games with 11 score involvements. Menzie average 8 possessions a game, hasnt had a goal assist all year and averages 1.6 score involvements, with his highest in a game being 3.

I try to look at it from the perspective of 'What does Jye bring to the team overall?'
Is it Kicking skills? Goals? Defensive/Offensive pressure? Marking ability? Pace? Clearances?

And I always struggle to find an answer.....

A tad harsh perhaps.
Very harsh. He's got very good kicking skills and goal sense. Yes his pressure needs work but he's not alone on that front.

People are focusing on what a 21 year old small forward can't do, instead of what he can do. He can play, let's give him time.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #47: Jye Menzie - Signs on for 2025 - 18/7

Remove this Banner Ad

Back