5 best wins and 5 worst losses by your club?

Remove this Banner Ad

PuntingFanatic

Senior List
Mar 1, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
What's the best 5 wins you've experienced as a fan following your club? On the other side, what are the worst?

I'll name a few each way and then give my official 5. In 1992, the very first season I started following the great game a 14 point hard fought win against the mighty hawks felt bloody good. Played out at WAverly, rematch of the 91gf where we got absolutely belted by the boys from glenferrie. Hawks should have put the game beyond reach after the first quarter. A mistake they'd replicate in a elimination final at subi months later. 4.6 to 1.0 in the opening term , debutant Matt clape getting our only goal. We pegged them back in the next qtr, eventually triumphing 11.8 to 8.12. Sumich booted 5, Dunstall got 6 of hawthorns 8 I think. As a youngster to get one back over the hawks felt darn good at the time.

The elimination final at subi would also have to be up there. Hawks 4.6 opening term again hurt them as wce got over the line late in the game to win 14.16 to 12.15 with some freak last quarter goals. Dunstall again the star with 6 majors for the hawks but this time wce exacted sweet revenge ending the hawks season. Sumich 4 goals, MAtera 3, Langdon 2.

1992 grand final and we had laid the ghosts of season 91 officially to rest. The 4th meeting of the season against the powerhouse high scoring Geelong cats and boy did they give us a tough fight in that first half. Jumped us early leading by 4 goals in the opening term with Sumich finding a steadier right on the qtr time siren. They still managed a 4 goal lead in the 2nd but tony Evans nicked two in quick succession. By half time it was only a 2 goal deficit and peter MAtera turned the game on it's head with his 3rd quarter brilliance. Electrifying goals on the run, one a beauty from outside 50 putting wce in front and the tide had officially turned. Followed up with the opening goal of the last qtr grafting wce a 23 point lead which looked tone unassailable and duly was. 5 majors for the norm smith medallist, Sumich nailed 6, Evans 3 and Wilson 2 betting the boys from across the nullabor their first flag.

1993 - in the grand final rematch at kardiniya park we erased a 38 point 3rd qtr deficit to eclipse the cats by 8 points. We kicked the exact same score as the 92 grand final, 16.17. Norm smith medallist peter MAtera had his colours well and truly lowered by Peter Riccardi and got suspended for a couple of games.

1994 grand final go figure. 80 point demolition over Geelong . Our second flag, once again beating Gary Ablett and the star studded cats.

1999 5 point win against the western bulldogs on a Friday night at the G. Doggies were strong favourites as we fibished the season in terrible form after setting it alight in the first half of it. Dogs beat us by 2 points weeks before, it was Mick Malthouse's last game in charge for wce and he went bonkers in the coachs box breaking a bone in his hand after he belted it against the bench. 4 goals to Coleman medallist Scott Cummings vs 4 goals from the bulldogs Kolyniuk in a low scoring epic finals encounter.

2006 - 54 point comeback against the cats after getting belted for almost 3 quarters. Amazing come back. I can't recall if cousins was out. Regardless what a win by us and a monumental choke by the cats.

A week later we erased a 44 point 3rd qtr deficit vs lowly Carlton.

2006 - win vs the Adelaide Crows down 23 at half time or so at aaimi in the prelim final.

2006 grand final - revenge vs the Swannies!

2007 - beating them by a point in out round 1 opener missing so many players.

Number 1 - 1992 grand final cats
No2 - 2006 gf vs swans
No 3 - 1992 elim final vs hawks
No 4 - 2006 come back vs cats
No 5 - 1998 win vs dogs down 8 goals qtr time then kicked 8 to none in the 2nd to lead at half time.

Worst losses

1997 semi vs north - 32 point lead in the 3rd. Red hot ball magnet Jarrod schofield did his knee an there went all our momentum. Carey did nothing all day and was beaten by Jackovich and it was ironic that he would kick the sealer. Roos got up by 13 points , mckernan went berserk snagging 4 as the wasteful Phillip MAtera ( 3.5 ) and wce choked a lead and a prelim final away. That loss hurt me and infuriated me more other than any wce game. I knew we weren't goin to win in 2005 vs the swans, I knew the moment Sydney beat collingwood by a point that year keeplng alive their season they were going to beat us in the grand final. Call it intuition. The loss still hurt, but I was expecting it. I also knew we'd win it the next season.

Roos and Adam Simpson stung us in. 1998, the opening game of the season. Won by 2 points, may have been 4. That was the first time we saw keepers off possession footy at the end of a game, chipping it around and backwards rather than forwards. The loss in 98 vs the saints after leading by 28 in the last qtr was another wce choke job. McIntosh got done for a controversial holding the ball in the last qtr where the goal was nailed and turned out to be the winner. Unknown player Healy ( forgot his first name, Shane perhaps ) booted 6 goals on his birthday along with spider Everitt.

Anyway, worst losses.

1998 2nd semi final vs north
2005 grand final vs swans

2000 derby, blew an 8 goal lead to lose by a point where a star street fighter in dale Kickett emerged.

1992 - 31 point lead blown vs pies at water bogged subi. Darren Lehman, in fact I think it was Paul Williams kicked the winning point with seconds left. Pies kicked the last 5 goals of the game , we didn't score one in the last qtr and a half.

No 5 - bombers. Where do I start. " one goal wonder Paul salmon sinks eagles " 1993 he kicked he winning goal where sheedy unveiled the jacket wave. Won by about 4 points.

1994 - he did it again as we choked away a 33 point lead in round 1.

2007 - another one point dons win after we let slip a 37 point lead on a Friday night. Shoot Daniel Kerr shoot son.

2013 - choke vs the dons on a Thursday night I think it was

2014 - refer above. Finals chance gone.

Only started following footy in the early 2000s.

Best
There have been heaps of great wins by Essendon to be honest so hard to pick just 5, but I'll try. No finals win to mention :(

1. Essendon vs Collingwood 2009
I walked out thinking the game was done, but came back hoping for something. Got more than I expected :)

2. Essendon vs St Kilda, round 20 2009.
Speaks for itself really.

3. Fremantle vs Essendon 2013
One of my favourite games. Really set the tone for the season, with plenty of comeback wins to come.

4. Essendon vs Geelong 2011.
No Jobe, no worries. Were thrashed by Hawthorn the week before too.

5. Essendon vs Gold Coast 2011
Was standing in line to get my ticket when the game started. Score was 19-0 (or 19-1) when I checked the scores while in line. Score was 31-1 when I entered the ground. Seat was level 3 so by the time I got to my seat, it was like 54 or 56-1! Couldn't believe the scoreline. 94-1 at quarter time.

Honourable mentions
West Coast vs Essendon 2004, 2007 and 2013 (oh and 2014)
Essendon vs Carlton x2 in 2013

Worst losses

1. Essendon vs Melbourne 2012
That was just so disappointing. Were 9-1(or 10-1) for the season while Melbourne hadn't won a game all season. Started the slide

2. Essendon vs West Coast 2010
To watch Le Cras kick 12 goals at home for the wooden spooners was atrocious. Gave them half of their wins in their wooden spoon year. 3 losses if you count NAB cup as well.

3. Adelaide vs Essendon 2009 final
That was just horrible to be honest. Bloodbath.

4. Carlton vs Essendon 2007
Let a huge lead slip

5. Essendon vs Melbourne 2014
This time, we let a 33 point lead slip. Just so frustrating that we continuously lose to a team we should beat. Lost 4 out of the last 5 to this mob.

Honourable mentions
Adelaide vs Essendon 2006
Collingwood vs Essendon 2010 second game
Essendon vs Hawthorn 2012
Carlton vs Essendon 2012 second game
Carlton vs Essendon 2011 final
Collingwood vs Essendon 2013 second game

Win:
1966 granny
2009 prelim
2005 qualifying final
Round 14 2009
Robert harveys 350th

Loosing/Draw;
2009 grand final
2010 grand final
2004 prelim final
1997 grand final
daylight.

Pretty much this.

Last year against Freo was awesome, loved every minute of it. Was awesome seeing us give it to Brisbane in 05(?) with Milney kicking a bag.

*That I've been alive to witness (born in 1994)

Best:

1. 2014 Grand Final vs Sydney (was there)
2. 2008 Grand Final vs Geelong (was there)
3. 2001 Semi Final vs Port
4. 1999 Round 12 vs St. Kilda (was there, my 2nd ever game)
5. 2013 Preliminary Final vs Geelong (was there)

Worst:

1. 2012 Grand Final vs Sydney
2. 2011 Preliminary Final vs Collingwood
3. 2001 Preliminary Final vs Essendon
4. 2012 Round 19 vs Geelong
5. 2009 Round 22 vs Essendon

These stick in my mind.
Best
1. Frem v Syd PF 2013 - most dominant half we have played and on the big stage in an PF
2. Geel v Frem EF 2012 - everyone was predicting Haw v Geel Prelim. Pavlich didn't get the memo with 6 awesome goals and a memorable win.
3. Geel v Frem QF 2013 - brushed away Skilled Stadium talk all weak to cause a massive upset in a QF
4. NM v Frem Rd 19 2003 - sealed our first finals appearance. In our heritage jumper Pavlich dominated last quarter to drag us over the line by 1pt at the MCG.
5. Haw v Frem Rd 18 2001 - first win of the season and beating a top 3 side in Hawthorn in Melbourne is entrenched in my memory.

Worst
1. Frem v Ess EF 2003 - First ever finals appearance, at home, against 8th placed Essendon, and got absolutely smashed
2. Frem v PA SF 2014 - Still bitter about this game. Dominated first half but could not convert then Port ran over the top of us.
3. Haw v Frem GF 2013 - Missed set shots, fumbles, turnovers, dropped marks.. and to only lose by 15 still hurts.

They are the 3 that stick out, plenty of other games could fill up last 2 spots. NM game at Subi last year hurt and also when Wells kicked that miraculous goal several years ago.

(In no order)
Best
2004 Prelim vs St Kilda
2004 Grand Final vs Brisbane
2014 Elim Final vs Richmond
2013 Showdown 35
2012 vs North Melbourne

Worst
2007 Grand Final vs Geelong
2011 vs Gold Coast
2011 vs Collingwood
2011 vs Hawthorn
2012 vs GWS

Best

2013 QF vs Geelong
2013 PF vs Sydney
2012 EF vs Geelong
2003 vs North late in the season- as mentioned above to seal our spot in the finals.
2003 Round 22 vs West Coast- An intense match, a win would see us seal 5th spot and a home final, I remember Medhurst kicking one late from the pocket to seal it and giving it to the crowd.

Worst

2013 GF vs Hawthorn
2014 vs St Kilda where we were smashed all over the park and lost by 10 goals after being unbackable favourites
2008 vs Melbourne - Up by 50 at Half Time at the G and got overrun by a rampant Wonaemirri and Jurrah, I remember the commentators saying this could be Melbourne's coming of age and a sign of the future
2007 vs North - After being premiership favourites at the start of the year we'd played awfully all season and were sitting right on the edge of missing the finals in this game in about round 18 or so. Was a pretty dire, scrappy game, Scott Thornton had a set shot in the last minute but missed, we lost by 4 points, our finals hopes were over and Connolly was sacked that week
2009 vs Adelaide - The infamous game where we kicked 1.7.13 for the match. We were horrendously undermanned but it was just about the most one sided game I've ever seen. Thank god for Ryan Murphy.

Honourable mentions to the Longmuir game vs St Kilda and the Derby in 2006 for the best. Also the Geelong game in round 3 2010.

Best:
'93 GF
'01 Comeback against North
'13 against Freo
'00 GF
'93 vs Cats - Salmon 10, Ablett 14 (5 on Hird) amazing game

HM: '93 Prelim, '04 vs WC

Worst:
'99 PF
'01 GF
'90 GF
'96 PF
any of the recent Melbourne losses

I had to have a think about this. Not entirely sure about the selection but I gave it a go.

My five worst losses:

5. 1993 Preliminary Final v Essendon. We led at half time, but dreams of glory in our third season were shattered

4. 2014 Round 3 v Sydney. Our first home game at Adelaide Oval, and we lost by 63 points after Port beat us there by 55 the previous week. Really drove home the point that everything was not going to be all right. 2014 would be Sanderson's last year as coach.

3. 2004 Round 17 v Brisbane. Our biggest thrashing - 141 points.

2. 2011 Round 18 v St. Kilda. In the midst of our worst-ever season, came our lowest-ever score of 3.6 (24). An utter humiliation that led to Neil Craig's resignation as coach.

1. 2006 Preliminary Final v West Coast. In Crows world, 2006 is known as 'the potential flag that got away'. It hurts a lot.

My five best wins:

5. 2014 Round 15 v Port Adelaide. Port were at the top of their game and the top of the ladder. We were 11th. They had never lost at Adelaide Oval, but we showed them. The best moment in a disappointing season, a season that led to big changes at the club.

4. 2005 Semi-Final v Port Adelaide. Never before had we met our cross-town rivals in a final. Always satisfying to beat Port, even better in a final, and better still when it's by 83 points.

3. 1997 Preliminary Final v Western Bulldogs. We lost Tony Modra early and were down by 31 points at half time, but snatched victory by 2 points and were in our first Grand Final. It was unbelievable.

2. 1998 Grand Final v North Melbourne. The Carey-led Roos were favourites and led at half time. After finishing fifth and losing our first final, the taste of winning a second-consecutive flag was almost as sweet as the first. Almost. I just love that line from Bruce McAvaney: 'They've done what we thought was impossible. They've been to Perth, to Melbourne, to Sydney, to Melbourne, and they've come back! (siren) And it's theirs!'

1. 1997 Grand Final v St. Kilda. The Saints were hot favourites and led at half time. But the dream was finally realised and the Crows were premiers! Needless to say, that was a bloody happy day in Adelaide.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Best
1- 2004 Prelim vs St Kilda
2- 2004 Grand Final vs Brisbane
3- 2013 Showdown 35
4- 2012 vs North Melbourne
5- 2009 vs Richmond

Worst
1- 2007 Grand Final vs Geelong
2- 2012 vs GWS
3- 2011 vs Gold Coast
4- 2011 vs Collingwood
5- 2011 vs Hawthorn

Not of all time, just in the past 10 years...

Best
1. 2007 Grand Final (And being at the G for it)
2. 2011 Grand Final
3. 2009 Grand Final
4. 2007 Qualifying v North (Clinic)
5. Cats v Hawks (All of the H&A wins during the Kennett Curse)

Worst
1. 2008 Grand Final loss to Hawthorn
2. 2013 Preliminary Final loss to Hawthorn
3. 2013 Qualifying loss to Fremantle
4. 2010 Prelim Final loss to Pies
5. 2004 Prelim loss to Lions (Being at G for it, even though it should have been at Gabba)

In no particular order

2008 grand final
2014 grand final
1999 comeback vs stkilda
2001 semi vs port
1996 merger match

Worst losses
2009 vs Bulldogs (88 pts)
2001 vs freo
The rest I've blocked out of my mind

Since 2003:

Worst:

5. 2011 vs Port Adelaide. Worst game I've seen us play. Disgraceful loss.
4. 2012 vs Gold Coast. Rested half the team and Karmichael Hunt kicked the sealer.
3. 2005 vs Melbourne, round 10. 7-2 and 3rd on the ladder, we go down to Melbourne by 57 points and Nathan Brown breaks his leg. We collapse to 10-12 and 12th on the ladder after that.
2. 2007 vs Geelong, round 6. 157 points. Clubs biggest ever loss.
1. 2009 vs Carlton, round 1. After all the hype we were humiliated in the worst way possible in front of a national audience.

The two finals were bad but we were in a much better place as a club and we weren't really going to threaten for a flag. They didn't hurt as much as these.

Best:

5. 2013 vs Hawthorn. Flogged them for the 2nd time in a row.
4. 2013 vs West Coast. We were written off in the lead up but that win (away from home) paved the way for our first finals birth in 12 years.
3. 2005 vs Port Adelaide. Reigning spooners vs the reigning premiers. After giving up a ~4 goal lead we kicked 13 straight and ended up winning by 50+ points. Richo's 200 and he took an absolute screamer.
2. 2005 vs Carlton. The score was 80-3 at one point. Richo booted number 600.
1. 2012 vs Hawthorn. Steam rolled them by 62 points.

Not much to choose from in the wins column.

Best.

1. 2000 PF v North
2. 1998 QF v Adelaide
3. 2006 EF v St Kilda
4. 2008 v Fremantle
5. 2012 v Essendon

Worst.

1. 186
2. 148
3. North 2012
4. 2004 EF v Essendon
5. **** you guys

Last edited:
best; in chronological order (it was hard to nail down to 5, but these were the ones I remember feeling the best about)

Rnd 12, 1992 v Hawthorn @ Waverly Park
- it was a Monday, a day off school and I got to watch the Crows beat the Hawks by 1 point - I was jumping around just like Darel Hart and Matthew Liptak were when Hart kicked the goal to put us up. It was Adelaide's first win at Waverly Park, and Andrew Jarman blew kisses to the crowd as he left the ground.

Rnd 9, 1995 v Hawthorn @ Football Park

'95 wasn't a great season for Adelaide - and after losing to Fitzroy at home in Rnd 8, Hawthorn came to town to inflict more misery. At half time, it looked like that was going to continue as Adelaide had only scored 1 goal on a wet night. However the 2nd half saw a massive turn around, and in the dieing minutes of the last quarter, a young 18 year-old Andrew McLeod sped RayJencke in the forward pocket to collect the ball, turn, shrug, evade a tackle, and dribble the ball from near the point post into goal to give the Crows a 2 point win!

Preliminary Final 1997 v Footscray @ MCG

The Grand Finals are always going to be the sweetest victories you'll remember, but this game I think still just trumps them both for that pure nail-biting, adrenlin pumping feeling that only the footy can bring. We all know how this one played out, but back in my childhood loungeroom in Adelaide, I was hyperventaliting like a special case of tragic. Mum had to tell me to calm down and to not be so silly, even though she was just as excited.

Rnd 9 2013 v North Melbourne @ Docklands

Was at the game - Sam Kerridge puts on a clinic - North choked - Adelaide capitalised. Jumped around like Darel Hart and Matthew Liptak again on level 3 directly above where Pentrenko hacked the ball out of mid air - Great times

Rnd 9 2014 v Collingwood @ Adelaide Oval

Wish I was at this game. Probably only makes the list because of how recent it was, but after such a poor start to the season (and Adelaide Oval) I felt that this was just one of those special nights. Thursday Night, 50,000 crowd, national audience. Debut of Charlie Cameron (he will be special) and crowd drowned out the siren to let Jenkins score a sneaky after the siren goal at 3/4 time. Plus the fact Adelaide's record against Collingwood has been abysmal just made it sweeter...

Honourable mentions :

Semi Final v Sydney @ SCG
Rnd 7 2000 v Port Adelaide @ Football Park
Rnd 4 2001 v Carlton @ Princess Park
Rnd 15 2014 v Port Adelaide @ Adelaide Oval

-------

Worst losses; in chronological order - (that I remember making me feel really crap)

Rnd 19 1992 v Essendon @ Football Park - Paul Salmon goes nuts kicking 9 goals as Essendon turn a 3/4 time deficit into a 44 point win after a 10 goal final term. Mum actually turned the radio off because I wouldn't stop crying...

Rnd 14 1995 v Essendon @ MCG - Chris McDermott's 100th game and Tony McGuiness' 200th game and the Crows go and celebrate in style with a 120 point loss....

Elimination Final 2007 v Hawthorn @ Docklands - First finals match I had ever attended in Melbourne - I watched from directly behind Franklin's back as he sweetly put through the goal that won the game. Gutted.

Semi Final 2009 v Collingwood @ MCG - I was there, it happened right.. in front.. of me....

Rnd 7 2011 v Melbourne @ MCG - Demons dominate to win by 90 odd points... Again, I was there - Terrible day

Best.

1. 2000 PF v North
2. 1998 QF v Adelaide
3. 2006 EF v St Kilda
4. 2008 v Fremantle
5. 2012 v Essendon

Worst.

1. 186
2. 141
3. North 2012
4. 2004 EF v Essendon
5. **** you guys
I don't want to be cruel, but if by 141 you mean the loss to Essendon, then it's actually 148.

Leaving out finals as reaction both positively and negatively would be exaggerated by importance of games.

Wins

1981 v Collingwood round 11...Queens Birthday Monday game in front of 92,935. Great performance in big occasion to belt a very strong Magpie team by 46 points.
1984 v Carlton round 8...after years of having our backsides handed to us by the Blues at Princes Park booted 10.3 in first quarter ( J Kennedy jnr 5 goals ) to blow the Baggers to smithereens on route to a 68 point win.
1989 v Geelong round 6...Princes Park classic in which Geelong played some of the most brilliantly pure football I had ever seen for a half ( 49 points up at half time ) before being overrun by a seriously good Hawthorn team. Ablett was at his absolute best in that first hour and Gavin Excell booted a lazy 9 on Langford. Great comeback victory by 8 points but a warning that the Cats were more than capable of knocking us over a bit later on. 51 goals kicked in game.
1995 v Geelong round 7....Hawks were well and truly on the wane by then but produced an incredible effort to win at Kardinia Park by 3 points with most of the gun players left at the club out injured. Darren Jarman was made Captain for the day in the absence of Dunstall, Platten and Langford and led a very young an inexperienced side to a fantastic victory.
2007 v Essendon round 7...Essendon had been beating up Hawthorn for years both physically and on the scoreboard. Their supporters used to laugh at our team and bemoan the fact that the great rivalry of the 80"s was a distant memory. This game announced a new world order was beginning to take shape and a new sheriff was in town. His name was Lance Franklin and that day was the occasion he began his career of destroying the Bombers with nine goals. The 20 year old led the Hawks to an emphatic 6 goal win and announced himself as the brightest star in the AFL constellation

Losses

1991 v Adelaide round 1...The Crows debut in the AFL at Football Park was always going to be tricky but an 86 point thrashing was a shock to say the least. Put simply, everything that could right for the Crows happened and everything wrong, our mob. Adelaide played a manic style of football that the Hawks couldn't match in any way. What a miserable night for the Hawk fans that ventured over. If the onfield atrocities weren't bad enough the experience of having thousands of overjoyed Crow fans turn and direct the middle finger salute ( after every goal ) at the 1000 or so of us sitting in the upper deck was an extra kick to to the collective nuts. Having never been to the footy in Adelaide before I had only heard about this anti Victorian inferiority complex. To experience it first hand was a painful eye opener to say the least.
1995 v Carlton round 10...The blues were extremely hot that year but this 104 point drubbing was a humiliating experience. In the second half it was obvious that Carlton were absolutely toying with us. Parkin was playing players out of position, resting guns for long periods ( not done in those days ) and generally having a fine old time embarrassing a once proud opponent. Bloody awful.
2001 v ST Kilda round 22...with a top four spot on the line and playing a team with only the then terrible Freo ( who we also lost to that year ) below them the Hawks managed to completely botch a game that shouldn't have been close, let alone lost. When Barry Hall kicked a goal after the siren for a 2 point win I don't think I have been more angrily shocked in my football watching life. How they recovered from that to win their next two finals is a miracle.
2009 v St Kilda round 19...in a terrible season this was the second worse ( worse is coming up ) performance of the year. Firmly ensconsed in first place the Saints under Ross Lyon decided to disregard this game in Tassie and rest about 12 of their best 22. Unlike Freo under these circumstances the players decided that the game could still be won and that is exactly what they did to the tune of 26 points. This had to be one of the softest performances ever put up by a Hawthorn team. The contrast in effort between a reigning Premier desperately trying to get back into the finals and group mostly made up of young kids was stark to say the least. Apalling.
2009 v Western Bulldogs round 14...The nadir of the modern era in my opinion. The half time score of 13.10 to 0.4 would be embarrassing for a bottom of the ladder team. For a reigning Premier it was as humiliatingly pitiful as can be imagined. Souless, spiritless, weak,,,it was all that. Incredibly the 88 point final margin was a little flattering given the way the game was played. We had a lot of injuries that year and it is probably true that the brilliant game plan that was so successful in 2008 had a limited lifespan. I can excuse some of the drop off in 09 but not the above two performances. Happily it is obvious that the coach and leaders of the club regrouped, retooled and set out at first redemption and later a pursuit of excellence. The terrible depths of of 2009 and some of 2010 are now a distant and best forgotten memory.

Wins
05 gf
12 gf
05 sf v geelong
05 prelim v saints
06 qualifying v wce

Losses
14 gf
06 gf
Any 3 from 1989 to 1994 there's about 100 to choose from.

I don't want to be cruel, but if by 141 you mean the loss to Essendon, then it's actually 148.

...shows how badly the booze impacted that day, I forgot a goal

Remove this Banner Ad

5 best wins and 5 worst losses by your club?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back