Player Watch #5 Isaac Heeney: 2024 All Australian

Remove this Banner Ad

Heeney 2.jpg

Isaac Heeney

Isaac Heeney is a crowd favourite and one of the best young players in the competition. The QBE Sydney Swans Academy graduate won the 2018 AFL Mark of the Year award, was selected in the AFL Players’ Association’s 22Under22 team in two of his eligible four years and played his 100th senior game in 2019. Heeney can be used in the midfield, forward line – where he booted four goals in star teammate Lance Franklin’s absence in Round 20 last year – or as a loose man in defence.

Isaac Heeney
DOB: 05 May 1996
DEBUT: 2015
DRAFT: #18, 2014 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Cardiff (NSW)

Last edited by a moderator:

Am hearing he’s fully fit, no niggles and fired up this year and wants to make a massive impact. More leadership aspirations are great signs too.

As Heeney is our best player, we need him at his best to win a flag - good signs
On Jan 30 this year - called it early.

Beyond words happy for Isaac.

JHWF - manifesting it since the get go.

Love Heeney's hero arch at the Swans so far.

Came in strong and everyone loved him. Then he never really settled plus injuries he became a bit of a whipping boy.

AA season followed by a down year, now he's one of the competitions elite.

If his playing career was written by a greek poet he'd bring home the Norm Smith in a final quarter winning performance

I hate that he got named in the forward line. It really doesn’t matter because an AA is an AA but when you’re a top three midfielder in a season I think it’s a little disrespectful to shift them to half forward. Feel like in 10 years or so people will go back and look at these sides and not respect how dominant a season he had. Have said the same about Bontempelli and Petracca in the past.
Hopefully he tops the Brownlow voting by polling enough votes in a dominant first 14 or so rounds.
We know they won’t give him any votes no matter how well he played for the games post suspension.
So it’s a matter of hiding him away in the forward line IMO.
They are also praying he just “goes away” on their show piece Brownlow night.
To think he missed a week for that action is just a reinforcement of what this manufactured competition is about after the Player’s President had his more dangerous tackle overturned.
I’m never filled with any excitement going into a finals series because I know we are ultimately just cannon fodder should we come up against a pet project team or good story team from Victoria.
First test this week against GWS.
We know the script only too well.
“It’s their time”.

What the absolute **** were Scott's comments re the coaches award for?

How about reframing it to "to think Isaac Heeney finished just 5 votes back after missing 1 game due to a bullshit suspension and resting for another because he and the Swans dominated the competition to the point he didn't need to play"

I didn't think there was much wrong with it? He was just saying it's crazy that Heeney was leading, polled a perfect ten, and still only finished third, showing how tight the chasing pack were that missing just one game to finish the season cost Heeney.

As harsh as it is, he has had a slight reputation for not being a good finals
Player apart from that elimination final against the Giants a few years ago.

Hopefully that 2 week rest has reloaded him and he will be ready to absolutely destroy the competition in the finals.

As harsh as it is, he has had a slight reputation for not being a good finals
Player apart from that elimination final against the Giants a few years ago.

Hopefully that 2 week rest has reloaded him and he will be ready to absolutely destroy the competition in the finals.

different heeney this season ... in fact, best player in the competition, the collingwood game showed what this season's heeney can do in big games

Can't believe no one has bumped this thread yet.

Extraordinary performance.

The numbers;
30 disposals, 3 goals, 7 clearances, 5 tackles, 18 contested possessions, 8 score involvements.

Yet somehow, as superb as those stats are, they still don't quite capture his magnificent game.
His absolute willpower to influence the outcome and carry the team on his back is going to live in the memory for many a day.

Brilliant.

Including this;
View attachment MUST WATCH Everyone gobsmacked as Isaac Heeney takes one of the .mp4

Last edited:
Can't believe no one has bumped this thread yet.

Extraordinary performance.

The numbers;
30 disposals, 3 goals, 7 clearances, 5 tackles, 18 contested possessions, 8 score involvements.

Yet somehow, as superb as those stats are, they still don't quite capture his magnificent game.
His absolute willpower to influence the outcome and carry the team on his back is going to live in the memory for many a day.

Brilliant.

best player in the league

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This year he really has found that "drag the team over the line" switch. Previous years there's been hints, that other final against GWS where he almost got us across from the forwardline for example, but now he's got that midfield impact his ability to truly influence has gone up several levels.

I reckon if we win the flag this year, it will almost certainly be on the back of a Heeney Norm Smith performance. Warner probably his only challenger.

That mark was special, but how about the 70m flat dart to level the scores.

30 & 3 in a come from behind win, get that JPK Gary Ayres award son
That was incredible! I almost knocked all the picture frames off my wall I was jumping so much

This is exactly why I wanted Heeney in the mids, domination all over the ground. **** me, this is better than my wildest dreams. Legit the best player in the comp.

I really wish we would have seen what Heeney's career would have been like had he been moved into the midfield at 21 years old.

I understand this thinking, but I also genuinely don't think he's had the body for it til now. He's always struggled with fitness, I think this year is the first year he's really had a chance to show what he can do.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #5 Isaac Heeney: 2024 All Australian

Remove this Banner Ad

Back