Player Watch #5 Jack Ross

Remove this Banner Ad

Had a good game but my goodness can he do some stupid things.
He literally handballed to Baker in the middle of three converging Port players.
Deserves to hold his spot though. He just frustrates me.

We need smarter players.

This bloke is just a good solid player that you can depend on either on the wing or on ball.

Will never be a star, but doesn't need to be.
He’s a better than avg player , 26p 12 score involves 5 clearances and very efficient, should be given plenty of responsibility, we’re better for it

He’s a better than avg player , 26p 12 score involves 5 clearances and very efficient, should be given plenty of responsibility, we’re better for it
Oh absolutely better than average. My point was supposed to be a compliment that he has become a really reliable player for us.

Great game from him offensively but if I’m being picky he needs to work on defensive efforts (along with Dow)
Ports mids smashed us on the spread so it’s something that I hope he can build on

Zero tackles and the least pressure acts from our starting mids today

Baker 4 tackles 24 PA
Taranto 3 T 20PA
Dow 1 T 20PA
Ross 0T 15PA

Great game from him offensively but if I’m being picky he needs to work on defensive efforts (along with Dow)
Ports mids smashed us on the spread so it’s something that I hope he can build on

Baker 4 tackles 24 PA
Taranto 3 T 20PA
Dow 1 T 20PA
Ross 0T 15PA
Well Dow can practice that at VFL level

Baker 4 tackles 24 PA
Taranto 3 T 20PA
Dow 1 T 20PA
Ross 0T 15PA
I think his role was more an offensive one as he and Bolton are the only two mids that are creative enough to find space and open up the game for us. We have all become on here too focused on a defensive mindset bc of our 17-20 success and Dimma’s attack on Cumberland. The reality is the most Dangerous players are the ones with greater offensive talent such as Dusty , Bolton and Sheds. These blokes were / are relatively poor defensively , but weapons offensively. The reality is our 17-20 success wouldn’t have happened if Dusty and Sheds were absent. We have made a rod for our own backs by relying on midfielders mainly all with the one defensive attribute and failed to replace them with the Sheds and Dusty types. This is why kmac2 , Clarke and Sonsie need to come into the side so we can have more playmakers and line breakers.

That was his first game back in the guts for years. Might have passed through there, but mentally going from wing and half forward to centre mid is a big difference. He needs to get that balance back, but he is not an inside mid bull/tackler, more a first receive mop up type mid. Even when he played in the VFL he was an accumulator not a coal face mid.

He will have learned a fair bit after that game what is required defensively. I might not drop Dow for the same reason. Let him know that last weeks efforts were way off what is required and let's see how he responds. But I would add MacAuliffe to show him what is required as a mid, because he is an unsociable type of player, maybe they can both learn something off a first gamer.

I think his role was more an offensive one as he and Bolton are the only two mids that are creative enough to find space and open up the game for us. We have all become on here too focused on a defensive mindset bc of our 17-20 success and Dimma’s attack on Cumberland. The reality is the most Dangerous players are the ones with greater offensive talent such as Dusty , Bolton and Sheds. These blokes were / are relatively poor defensively , but weapons offensively. The reality is our 17-20 success wouldn’t have happened if Dusty and Sheds were absent. We have made a rod for our own backs by relying on midfielders mainly all with the one defensive attribute and failed to replace them with the Sheds and Dusty types. This is why kmac2 , Clarke and Sonsie need to come into the side so we can have more playmakers and line breakers.
Agree to a point but it also only works if we are wining the ball overall as a unit

I don’t want him focusing his entire game off defensive work but he needs to just add that extra layer to his game so as a team when things aren’t going our way we can at least stop the bleeding

Taranto was pushing shit uphill with both Dow and Ross not offering much help from a defensive standpoint

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That was his first game back in the guts for years. Might have passed through there, but mentally going from wing and half forward to centre mid is a big difference. He needs to get that balance back, but he is not an inside mid bull/tackler, more a first receive mop up type mid. Even when he played in the VFL he was an accumulator not a coal face mid.

He will have learned a fair bit after that game what is required defensively. I might not drop Dow for the same reason. Let him know that last weeks efforts were way off what is required and let's see how he responds. But I would add MacAuliffe to show him what is required as a mid, because he is an unsociable type of player, maybe they can both learn something off a first gamer.
Unsociable . I like it. Unsociable hawks is a Hawthorn trademark though.

Essendon edge

Richmond man feels dead but maybe Kmac2 is the vanguard of Richmond man 2.0

I remember his first pre season, on the GC at Bond uni they were doing a tackling drill and he was an animal. They had to stop the drill and tell him to tone it down such was his aggression.

Its fair to say, that has been trained out of him now :(

That said, I am a fan, and he should start in the middle most weeks.

Agree to a point but it also only works if we are wining the ball overall as a unit

I don’t want him focusing his entire game off defensive work but he needs to just add that extra layer to his game so as a team when things aren’t going our way we can at least stop the bleeding

Taranto was pushing s**t uphill with both Dow and Ross not offering much help from a defensive standpoint
Put MRJ in the centre with Ross and Taranto for the defensive pressure and Baker with Shai

As an aside, and I apologise in advance for being a history nuffy, but I couldn't help but notice that Jack, with his current haircut, bears an uncanny resemblance to a bloke who starred for Macedon back in the day.

Attachments

• alexander.jpg
    alexander.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 15
  • Jack Ross.jpg
    Jack Ross.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 14
As an aside, and I apologise in advance for being a history nuffy, but I couldn't help but notice that Jack, with his current haircut, bears an uncanny resemblance to a bloke who starred for Macedon back in the day.
Beats Jack the Ripper (bouffant unknown), I s'pose.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back