Past 5. Sam Petrevski-Seton

Remove this Banner Ad

He's been earning a living off this game for years now.

Agreed, I'm a little over the SPS hyperbole tbh.

There's plenty of senior players who play 1 or 2 statistically big games per year, but otherwise plod along getting 20 touches most weeks. These kind of performances are outliers and not indicative of the average SPS game.

If he's feeling up to it and our opposition coach lets him run around doing what he wants this is what he produces, but that doesn't represent how much harder it usually is to generate play. If memory serves the Bulldogs played reasonably poorly for much of this game and still managed to fall over the line.

Yeh we're trading him at his lowest ebb, but that's more timing than anything else. Unfortunate, but not dumb list management/flinging the baby out with the bath water eg Garlett and Robinson while Malthouse was in charge.

The club would have a much better view of the situation - I'm not in the least surprised they don't rate the bloke.

Edit - there is a hell of a lot of 20 metres passes in that footage. Interesting this is deemed OK if this is occurring in the midfield.

I would have preferred to keep him...but if he's that keen to go, let him go. The club doesn't need players that don't buy in to the current group.

So we just roll over and cut our losses?

Why do other clubs get to demand and receive absolute top dollar from us when players want to leave them, but we just say "**** it" when ours want to leave us?

If Austin doesn't negotiate a better trade than is offered, he is going to be at the absolute top of the shit list and other clubs will see us as a joke in this area if they don't already. I'm happy to sit and wait to see how it unfolds, but 49 is an awful deal.

WTF happened since this? Man, he looks a shade of that player now. He had urgency, intensity and speed of ball movement.

Sadly I think Lloyd was rather right about what he said last week

"[Ex-Blues list boss Stephen Silvagni] spoke about him being a forward-midfielder, I look at the forwards and you look at the way [Cody] Weightman plays, [Kysaiah] Pickett plays, Tom Papley plays, they're just dynamic, hard-working forwards.

"Then you look at the midfielders. Could you imagine Petrevski-Seton going up against [Christian] Petracca and [Clayton] Oliver?"

"Maybe he was messed around a little bit, but I can see why they settled him on a halfback flank because ... it's sort of the easiest position to play."

"I don't think he competes hard enough and I don't think he's looked as fit as what some AFL players have been."

WTF happened since this? Man, he looks a shade of that player now. He had urgency, intensity and speed of ball movement.
Change of role under Teague end of 2019. Starts off well in 2020, but has a couple of poor games in defence and loses confidence. Output continues to drop. Loses all attacking components. Most games less than 15 touches. Confidence drops further. Starts shirking contests. Scared to commit turnovers. Dinky 15s creep into his game and he is lost without direction and development in an unfamiliar role. Dropped to the VFL where he plays midfield. Comes into AFL side as defender. Dropped again. Plays midfield in VFL. Comes in and plays small forward. Dropped again. Gone.

I guess it's because there's talk of Voss trying to talk him around.

Though it would seem a counter productive thing to be putting a big spiel to him about sticking around then offering him a low priced contract.

For clarity - was Voss "trying to talk him around"? I know he said he'd have a chat with him, but that may have been more fact-finding than a desperate attempt to retain him. I may have missed subsequent comments from Voss though.

On one hand, I can see that the club don't see Samo part of their plans and his value has dropped in recent years (not that low, mind you) and they just want to cut ties to get it done quickly for both clubs' sakes.

But on the other hand, from a list management pov, I hope that Austin and co. take a stand and stick fat with Pick 29 (which will be in the thirties on draft night) and put a line in the stand.

Seems other clubs think/know they can walk all over us after we rolled over on Pick 8/Saad last year.

Agreed, I'm a little over the SPS hyperbole tbh.

There's plenty of senior players who play 1 or 2 statistically big games per year, but otherwise plod along getting 20 touches most weeks. These kind of performances are outliers and not indicative of the average SPS game.

If he's feeling up to it and our opposition coach lets him run around doing what he wants this is what he produces, but that doesn't represent how much harder it usually is to generate play. If memory serves the Bulldogs played reasonably poorly for much of this game and still managed to fall over the line.

Yeh we're trading him at his lowest ebb, but that's more timing than anything else. Unfortunate, but not dumb list management/flinging the baby out with the bath water eg Garlett and Robinson while Malthouse was in charge.

The club would have a much better view of the situation - I'm not in the least surprised they don't rate the bloke.
He doesn't even have 1 or 2 big statistical games a year, he's had 2 games over 24 possessions for his career, with a lot of it playing off half back - one of the easiest positions on the ground to rack up possessions. Basically, he's had 1 big game for his career.

He has no value right now because he hasn't actually shown a lot. The fawning over him has me a little confused, I don't really see the elite untapped potential that others see. Sure he's a nice kick over 20-40 metres, and that's about it afaic. He's not hard at it, not a goalkicking mid, not an elite runner - fitness wise or speed wise, not strong defensively.. I don't really see what he brings that gets people up and about.

For comparisons sake, at least with Dow I can see something to build around - his ability to break the first tackle and his explosiveness over 5-10 metres. There's a point of difference he brings, despite other drawbacks. What's SPS point of difference?

Imagine how funny it would be for opposition to see Carlton put all of

SPS| Fisher | Dow | Setterfield | Ramsay | Philp | Gibbons and the skinny tall bloke who lasted two quarters in he debut game in VFL as the ruck as our midfield

Not sure what you're talking about. Who said anything about putting them all in the midfield? Of what relevance is Mirkov to any discussion about our midfield?

Two of the above didn't play senior footy in 2021. One didn't feature at all in the midfield. Only one was a regular part of our midfield rotation and even that didn't happen until after mid-way through the season.

Yep Kruger goes for pick 41 and we will bend over for pick 52. Bullshit !! Austin is a friggen pushover.

I doubt it's going to be 52. But if it is sack Austin and the joke we got from Sydney who white anted SOS and is now managing our Salary cap

Come off it. How can you possibly blame Austin or Agresta for this?

It's a shit situation for sure, but neither of them have anything to do with that. They have to try and make the best of a pretty bad situation.

It sounds like it will be a very simple swap of SPS for 52. Then that will be on traded for Lewis Young, although we are trying to get him for 64.
Very disappointing, but this is not Austin's fault.
Both the club and SPS have let themselves down over the last 2-3 years. His value is at an all time low and he was the first to have his papers stamped by the incoming bosses. He was is not viewed in a positive light with those pushing the new culture shift. I guess this says a bit.
Hopefully for him he gets his attitude right. Will be hard to watch him blossom at another club, but it would be a huge shame to see his talent completely go to waste.

More excuses for Austin.

If there's anyone at the club that ought to have their papers stamped it's this imposter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If as reported Bulldogs get around pick 30 for Lipinkski and Geelong get around pick 40 for a Krueger then there are two players (Krueger and Lipinski) with less games and Brownlow Medal votes combined than SPS getting traded and their clubs getting far better deals than what’s currently being reported for SPS.

We should hold firm for pick 29 from WCE for SPS.

Agree with Matty411, as the media theatrics unfold and more warped narratives, we may see CFC just have to take a stand, a new culture slowly emerging perhaps ?
As things stand, whatever a club receives for an un -contracted payer is a bonus, but from a club's view point after years investment and development for zilch compensation it's an insult.
So if Sam's not co-operating and acting immaturely perhaps let him go to the draft.

More excuses for Austin.

If there's anyone at the club that ought to have their papers stamped it's this imposter.

Cant balme Austin for SPS demanding a trade - cant blame Voss either who apparently tried to get SPS to change his mind...
you can blame Teague and his mob though..we had a smashingly good pick 6 in hsi first year onlky to turn into a scared rabbitt by teh time Teague finished with him.

If Austin bends for 52 I'm happy for Sayers to interject on this one and do the deal.

Does sound like perhaps SPS has gone off the rails somewhat... could be a welfare issue if we're even remotely considering 52

What does 'welfare issue' mean...?

If Austin bends for 52 I'm happy for Sayers to interject on this one and do the deal.

Does sound like perhaps SPS has gone off the rails somewhat... could be a welfare issue if we're even remotely considering 52
What? Lol we’ve never heard anything about samo off field. Seems like a solid citizen to me. I think some people running the club for the last 10 years have the welfare issues.

Have they showed the Weagles this?

I was at the game with my then irish girlfriend who had never watched an AFL game before - and she asked me if the indigenous player (referring to SPS) was the best player (in the competition, I assume)

I refuse to believe SPS is done. He has low trade currency, I don't think he's worth trading unless it's for a player who fills a need - certainly not a late draft pick. How many list spots will we have to fill, really?

Remove this Banner Ad

Past 5. Sam Petrevski-Seton

Remove this Banner Ad

Back