Past #50: Ben Brown - Traded to Melbourne with 2020 #28 + 2021 R4 for 2020 #26 #33 + 2021 R4(Bris) - 130 gms / 287 gls - thanks Ben

Remove this Banner Ad

I actually think his marking is one of the weakest parts of his game.

Being so much taller than anyone else on the field, he should really be marking every ball that comes in, but he often fumbles the mark or misses the flight of the ball in a contested situation.

Happened many times last Friday night which drove me up the wall.

Undoubtedly he is great below his knees and at getting around the ground, just think the next step for him is to become a really strong, solid and reliable contested marking player in our forward 50 and become the dominant forward we need.

Do you know how hard it is to mark a ball when you are being tunnelled?

Sorry utility, this guy is a shocking mark and he showed it tonight.

Needs a huge preseason working on his marking and how he judges the flight of the ball. Such a gigantic player, you can't have him dropping marks like that in a big final when he has so much size on his side..

Really let us down tonight.

Sorry utility, this guy is a shocking mark and he showed it tonight.

Needs a huge preseason working on his marking and how he judges the flight of the ball. Such a gigantic player, you can't have him dropping marks like that in a big final when he has so much size on his side..

Really let us down tonight.
He's been out of touch a month of two. Made some really bad errors. Did he have a full pre-season last year? I got the impression he ran out of steam.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was very very bad....

i lost count of the amount of times he was one out against someone 10cm shorter than him and got done..... this game was setup for him to kick a bag, he should have kicked 4-5 and set up and least 3..... he totally fecked it up.....
in saying that i think he will be great next year so lets hope he gets it together.....

I don't know. Maybe play him behind the ball in the pre-season. I'm over the dropped marks.

He grabs at it twice too often. He stops some of that and he'll hold more.

He'll be better for it, it's gonna burn.

He grabs at it twice too often. He stops some of that and he'll hold more.

He'll be better for it, it's gonna burn.

He won't clunk marks just by having a good pre-season though. Send him back and he won't be under as much body pressure. He might actually learn how to use his own body. Just the pre-season, not the real games.

While that handball was bad its really just a result of confidence from others aspects falling down. His marking the main one, teams have learned to work him under the ball and he's failed to adjust. Also many times he could instigate body contact to protect the drop but doesn't - he allows his defender a free run at it.

Im not worried about him at all, he'll improve its just it was so costly on our biggest night.

I don't know. Maybe play him behind the ball in the pre-season. I'm over the dropped marks.

Too slow in my opinion to play elsewhere as a forward. He wouldn't be much use as a defender because opposition would lead to the diagonals and he wouldn't keep up.

BUT he will be a very good forward. He's already pretty much won us a final.

I know Brown started late age-wise, but Hawkins was in his 5th season when he tore apart the 2011 grand final. Before that, he was in and out of the side, and had never averaged over 1.5 goals in a season. This was in an all time great Geelong side, who didn't exactly have a heap of key forwards (Mooney, Ablett, Podsiadly all achieved something, but none were genuine stars). Brown has so much time on his side. He's already got a lot to his game, has some weaknesses yes, but you can not doubt his 1) work ethic and 2) desire to improve, so I'm confident he will go from strength to strength

Yes he's had a bad last month. He of everyone was crying out for the 'rest' week I believe.
But after a few early mistakes you could tell his confidence was down.
Can't bag him too much about tonight when he got us deep into finals last year.
He is young. Just needs consistency for a seasons worth of football

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #50: Ben Brown - Traded to Melbourne with 2020 #28 + 2021 R4 for 2020 #26 #33 + 2021 R4(Bris) - 130 gms / 287 gls - thanks Ben

Remove this Banner Ad

Back