Free Agent # 6: Joe Daniher - derp Brisbane player

Remove this Banner Ad

Sydney is getting better because the nightlife is returning and there are less drive-by shootings. Or maybe they're not being reported as much. still a shit place to live though.

Drive by shootings have nothing to do with lock out laws. Or was it meant to be a joke? If so ha ha i guess

We simply must make him see out the contract and cannot relent on our hard stance - **** what every expert says.
There is not one scenario in which JD leaves and our theoretical final winning season window remains open.
Given our toxic flavour at present, no players capable of replacing Daniher will be joining us this trade period. Therefore even if two first round picks come out way for Joey, we still will have a huge gap in our forward line which we cant replace for 2020.
Fast forward 12 months, another mid table finish and we are rebuilding again. All the work from 2016 onwards to keep the likes of Hooker and Hurley in order to have a crack at it will be for nothing.
The best move for Disco is to make Joey see out 2020 with us.
I just hope everyone at the club is rowing in the same direction and we can hold our nerve.

We simply must make him see out the contract and cannot relent on our hard stance - fu** what every expert says.
There is not one scenario in which JD leaves and our theoretical final winning season window remains open.
Given our toxic flavour at present, no players capable of replacing Daniher will be joining us this trade period. Therefore even if two first round picks come out way for Joey, we still will have a huge gap in our forward line which we cant replace for 2020.
Fast forward 12 months, another mid table finish and we are rebuilding again. All the work from 2016 onwards to keep the likes of Hooker and Hurley in order to have a crack at it will be for nothing.
I just hope everyone at the club is rowing in the same direction and we can hold our nerve.
100% agree

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We simply must make him see out the contract and cannot relent on our hard stance - fu** what every expert says.

McKernan and Stewart.

Seriously would not budge until we get a big deal. Good chance he'll still go at the end of next year but he'll be fine.

If Sydney are willing to pay a fair price why keep a bloke who doesn’t want to be here? All for keeping him if the Swans don’t offer a good deal but if they do surely we let him go.

If Sydney are willing to pay a fair price why keep a bloke who doesn’t want to be here? All for keeping him if the Swans don’t offer a good deal but if they do surely we let him go.
tend to agree
But it needs to be a good deal
5 or 9 and 25 is terrible.

5 and 9 at a minimum.

Can’t remember what year it was, but mid 90s, Melbourne made a huge play for James Hird. I shit bricks and genuinely thought he was going to go. And Timmy Watson spent a year on the Eagles list but didn’t play a game. Maybe this is just Joey’s little moment. But if he stays, he’ll play out his career at Essendon. This is not a Tim Kelly situation. I’m feeling 70 he stays 30 he goes.

Because as Paul_Barnard said, he's a key to the nearest GF window we've had for more than a decade. Like Tim Kelly at the Cats this year, he can still play a role and give his team mates a shot at a flag. Our aim is to win a final at the least. If he can help us do that, he also helps get finals experience into the youngers and keeps us relevant to available trade prospects in 2020, even if he leaves. He might also change his mind. Plenty to be gained.

tend to agree
But it needs to be a good deal
5 or 9 and 25 is terrible.

5 and 9 at a minimum.
Now Fantasia has told Port and its 16 tarps thanks but no thanks, we’d surely have to take 5 and 9 if offered. Thank you mother for the rabbits. Yeah we lose Joe, but we get another decent crack at the draft. Andy McGrath is a freak, as is Hepp, but getting 5 and 6 a few years back has served us well. At least one of Parish and Francis are showing something in any given week, and when they both finally click, it will be like the 2 for 1 purchase. Another pair of 18 year old top 10 draft picks pushing each other along will more than make up for losing Joe.

if he does stay, can we please send him round to Hirdy’s for some growth hormone injections. A spray tan injection wouldn’t hurt either. Seriously though when is he going to stop being such a skinny mother chucker? Look at Grundy, Joe is like a pre-pubescent flamingo by comparison. In my mind’s eye, when thinking of the future, I always had Joe’s head on Peter Somerville’s body, but he’s 25 and still looks like Bruce Reid!!! Sorry for the late night Ambien rant, just needed to get that off my chest.

I do think the pressure on him is real. Well at least to him. His uncles made a name for themselves as tough as nails farm boys from Ungarie. Joe is an X box playing private school boy from Melbourne. Nothing wrong with that, just ask Andy McGrath, but I reckon Joey struggles living up to the family name. His uncles are such big personalities. The club had him doing the marketing for the Country Game against Geelong in the past couple of seasons, and the poor kid got asked by a numpty journo some stupid question about what it meant to him, and he basically had to say I was raised in the suburbs. Making it worse, is everyone expects him to be Dyson Heppell, knacker bags and all that, but he’s not, and when Dyson is your captain, probably compounds it. Add two years on the pine and here we are. As I said before though, we keep him, he stays. Probably be the making of him. Particularly some of the criticism ala BJ.

Because as Paul_Barnard said, he's a key to the nearest GF window we've had for more than a decade. Like Tim Kelly at the Cats this year, he can still play a role and give his team mates a shot at a flag. Our aim is to win a final at the least. If he can help us do that, he also helps get finals experience into the youngers and keeps us relevant to available trade prospects in 2020, even if he leaves. He might also change his mind. Plenty to be gained.

I personally think the Hurley, Hooker, Bellchambers and Zaharakis group is cooked in terms of winning a flag. Making decision based on trying to win now is wrong imo

I personally think the Hurley, Hooker, Bellchambers and Zaharakis group is cooked in terms of winning a flag. Making decision based on trying to win now is wrong imo

Spot on.

I’m sick of the “win a final” desperation. Like winning any final that isn’t the grand final actually means something. Our focus should be on developing a system that’s physical and relentless. The success is the byproduct of executing well for long enough, not because it was your goal was to be playing in the semis.

If Joe doesn’t want to be part of a building a physical and relentless team so be it. Bring in someone who does.

Remove this Banner Ad

Free Agent # 6: Joe Daniher - derp Brisbane player

Remove this Banner Ad

Back