Past #6: Lachlan Hansen - pick 3 '06 - 151 NM games - NM life member - thanks Lachie

Remove this Banner Ad

I don’t want to get too much into this because it will just end in arguments however one thing stands out.

Hansen’s greatest attributes have always been his endurance and most importantly his sticky hands. In his first few years in particular he was a twig however could mark just about anything. What has gone wrong there?

Confidence

My 2cents. Haven't watched the replay but was at the game. I reckon lachie got his hands on the ball to clunk the grab at least 7 times, probably more, he just can't hold it. Is it time, and this is serious, for him to trial a glove?
Even if he just wore it for a few weeks, he's got little to lose. I think he positions himself well, reads the flight etc but the ball just pushes through his hands.

Gay. How many more excuses do people want to make for him, now its not Lachie but his hands, lol.

I don’t want to get too much into this because it will just end in arguments however one thing stands out.

Hansen’s greatest attributes have always been his endurance and most importantly his sticky hands. In his first few years in particular he was a twig however could mark just about anything. What has gone wrong there? Wrong role, too much running and not enough contested work? I’m not sure but his marking form is down and was to some extent even last year when he was playing a bit better.
His shoulders perhaps?

Dunno, but he needs to get those sticky mitts back asap or he could be spending a lot his Saturdays at Werribee.

Found it interesting in Maj's debut presser that he said working around guys like Drew and Taz really shows you what it takes to become an AFL footballer (or something along those lines), and didn't mention Lachie.

Just don't think he has the hunger needed to be the kind of player we want him to be. Needs dropping down to the VFL for a reality check, and to gauge whether he will actually fight to earn his spot back. It'll be for his own good.

he either plays defence or he doesnt play at all. a key forward who is giving us absolutely nothing is a liability with our three talls. i'd be seriously looking to offload him and see what his currency is. the suns would take him, we can bring one of hines mates down

I was thinking maybe Lachie can turn it around like Westhoff has, as I dont want to give up on him just yet. Some players take 100+ games to get near being any good. But then I checked and Westhoff's stats are better at the same age as Hansen is now! Hoffs 2011 was better than Hansens "Year of The Decoy" 2012. And we all know how shyte Westhoff was before 2013.

So know I'm confused. If Hansen does turn it around will he be as good as the Hoff is now or as good as the Hoff was last year?

I was thinking maybe Lachie can turn it around like Westhoff has, as I dont want to give up on him just yet. Some players take 100+ games to get near being any good. But then I checked and Westhoff's stats are better at the same age as Hansen is now! Hoffs 2011 was better than Hansens "Year of The Decoy" 2012. And we all know how shyte Westhoff was before 2013.

So know I'm confused. If Hansen does turn it around will he be as good as the Hoff is now or as good as the Hoff was last year?
In age terms there's 2 years between them, although they both debuted in 2007 and Westhoff has only played 30 more games. So for what it's worth (not much) try comparing 2010-2012.

Also I think Westhoff has been a bit of a whipping boy (especially after choking against GC) and probably wasn't as bad as everybody makes out.

Found it interesting in Maj's debut presser that he said working around guys like Drew and Taz really shows you what it takes to become an AFL footballer (or something along those lines), and didn't mention Lachie.

Just don't think he has the hunger needed to be the kind of player we want him to be. Needs dropping down to the VFL for a reality check, and to gauge whether he will actually fight to earn his spot back. It'll be for his own good.

If it were medieval times Hansen would be a Court Jester, he isnt serious about his footy and it shows every week.......nothing wrong with that, but it doesnt belong at AFL level, only back at Nar Nar Goon with his mates etc.

Lachie hansen should be drop what i saw that game from brisbane he is not fit he dosent chance the ball and when the ball goes to the ground he can't pick it up right he just gives up we should put robbie tarrent back in because he is fast he can take the strong marks but what i like the most when the ball goes to ground he dosen't give up chasing for the ball he is very good when it comes to ground

***ing Rome burns.

He's not doing the job, he gets dropped.

I just don't think he wants it enough.

I know he was a very early draft pick. However our success with late picks and especially rookies would suggest that it comes down to the desire of the player and their development after that more than anything. Our late picks and rookies have just wanted it more, simple as that.

Black continues to knock at the door, Tarrant has taken his chances. Currie could come straight in. Daw has to stay. It doesn't look good for Hansen.

Oh, Haiiiiii guys!

007465-hansen.jpg

Trying my best.

Love you ****ers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Which Hansenist were you in a past life Jack Reacher?

MC_Forward sums it up nicely. It's confidence. He can play as has been in evidence for every year he has been at the club.

So because we have seen glimpses he should play?

He isn't showing it right now and should not be in the team until he is performing to the level of Aaron Black in the magoos.

Oh, Haiiiiii guys!

Trying my best.

Love you ****ers.

Certainly doesn't appear to be the case with all the soft efforts, poor body language and refusal to apply any defensive pressure.

I suspect most of the posters here wouldn't be half as scathing in their assessment of Hansen if he did in fact attack each contest like he was playing his last game.

See Harper for example - everyone agrees he is simply out of form. But it was still obvious he is working is butt off, pressuring, tackling etc and was given solid praise for that despite the calls for his demotion.

People love bringing the potential Lachie has (allegedly), here are some facts

Fact: He is lazy. He had 0 tackles on Sunday. When Drew was going through a rough patch in 2005 at a similar age he was tackling every week. The one game he didn't? The Bulldogs match, the worst of Drews career and he was dropped.

Fact: He has 5 goals gor the year. The same amount as Robbie Tarrant who has played one less game.

Fact: He has played 83 games. He is nearly 25 and should be in the prime of his career.

Fact:
Pick 3 - L. Hansen
Pick 5 - T. Boak
Pick 7 - J. Selwood
Pick 8 - B. Reid
Pick 13 - J. Riewoldt
Pick 32 - Kurt Tippet

If we had any of these players in our team instead of Lachie how much better would we be?

Now I know it's not his fault he was taken at #3 but he was rated there by most clubs and was an excellent under 18 player, what happened?

I see others have mentioned Westhoff as well, he was taken at pick 71 in the same draft and shown a fair bit more than Lachie

Does anyone get the feeling that Scott won't drop Hansen this week? I hope I'm wrong as I'd love to see Tarrent come in as the replacement for Hansen so Daw can keep his spot but something tells me this isn't going to happen....

Which Hansenist were you in a past life Jack Reacher?

MC_Forward sums it up nicely. It's confidence. He can play as has been in evidence for every year he has been at the club.
Jack Reacher is me if you must know. :stern look

Fact: He is lazy. He had 0 tackles on Sunday. When Drew was going through a rough patch in 2005 at a similar age he was tackling every week. The one game he didn't? The Bulldogs match, the worst of Drews career and he was dropped.

Fact: He has 5 goals gor the year. The same amount as Robbie Tarrant who has played one less game.

Fact: He has played 83 games. He is nearly 25 and should be in the prime of his career.

Fact:
Pick 3 - L. Hansen
Pick 5 - T. Boak
Pick 7 - J. Selwood
Pick 8 - B. Reid
Pick 13 - J. Riewoldt
Pick 32 - Kurt Tippet

If we had any of these players in our team instead of Lachie how much better would we be?

Now I know it's not his fault he was taken at #3 but he was rated there by most clubs and was an excellent under 18 player, what happened?

I see others have mentioned Westhoff as well, he was taken at pick 71 in the same draft and shown a fair bit more than Lachie
Uncle_Leo you are in fine form my friend. Hard to argue with the above. And as I have already mentioned Goldy and LT were picked up in the same draft after Hansen. So yeah, why is Lachie so inconsistent in his 7th season and after 83 games? Time for another reality check for Lachie in the VFL.

Fact:
Pick 3 - L. Hansen
Pick 5 - T. Boak
Pick 7 - J. Selwood
Pick 8 - B. Reid
Pick 13 - J. Riewoldt
Pick 32 - Kurt Tippet

Fact: Drew had 66 tackles in 2005, he laid 17 of those in 2 games.

Fact: He had a 0 tackle game against the Swans too along with 4 kicks and 2 marks. Was not dropped the next week

Fact: Drew missed one game that year in Round 6. Which I can only assume was because of injury because he only played 16% of game time in round 5.

Fact: He was not dropped after the Bulldogs game.

Fact: When Drew was out of form a move to CHB turned his career around.

Fact: The coach who moved him was Dean Laidley.

Drew was pretty lose to All Australian when he was Lachie's age.

It is not the position he plays.
It is not coach instruction.
It is not that the other players don't look for him.

The fact is Lachie doesnt have the intensity to reach the levels his talent should take him.

Drew was pretty lose to All Australian when he was Lachie's age.

It is not the position he plays.
It is not coach instruction.
It is not that the other players don't look for him.

The fact is Lachie doesnt have the intensity to reach the levels his talent should take him.

Lachie was in AA form in his 3rd year of footy. Drew didn't get near AA till how old?

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #6: Lachlan Hansen - pick 3 '06 - 151 NM games - NM life member - thanks Lachie

Remove this Banner Ad

Back