Past #6: Lachlan Hansen - pick 3 '06 - 151 NM games - NM life member - thanks Lachie

Remove this Banner Ad

Lach does a power of work off the ball. If he goes out of the forward line his replacement must be able to run the same leading patterns as him for the same amount of time as he does, otherwise the talls will not function properly. I have doubts that Daw has that capacity just yet. Black might. The other option is to plonk Daw at FF and let Drew play Lach's role but do we want to have our best key forward roaming around half forward for most of the game?

I reckon Daw would rise to the challenge and clunk a few marks in the square.

I reckon Daw would rise to the challenge and clunk a few marks in the square.
Perhaps, and he would scare the living shit out of the defenders when the ball hits the deck. You would be happy to have Drew play away from the goal square for the majority of the year?

Lach does a power of work off the ball. If he goes out of the forward line his replacement must be able to run the same leading patterns as him for the same amount of time as he does, otherwise the talls will not function properly. I have doubts that Daw has that capacity just yet. Black might. The other option is to plonk Daw at FF and let Drew play Lach's role but do we want to have our best key forward roaming around half forward for most of the game?
I would pick Daw without dropping any of the talls. He will provide plenty of X Factor, some contested marks around the ground, which you need against Sydney, and can be subbed out for a runner (like McKenzie or Greenwood) in the second half. I would drop Jacobs and Harper to make way for those 2.

Perhaps, and he would scare the living shit out of the defenders when the ball hits the deck. You would be happy to have Drew play away from the goal square for the majority of the year?

Would certainly like to try it.

When the ball hits the deck, Tarrant and Hansen don't provide enough pressure.

Put me in the group also that is happy to give Daw a shot.

Lachie is limited but does his job. Chb for mine, a dour role more suits his ability.

Hansen needs to be played on a wing so that his endurance can come into play. His biggest weapon is being stifled in the confines of Etihad. Athletes like Lachie need room to spread their wings. Is it any surprise he has played his best footy at the MCG and the WACA?

Hansen needs to be played on a wing so that his endurance can come into play. His biggest weapon is being stifled in the confines of Etihad. Athletes like Lachie need room to spread their wings. Is it any surprise he has played his best footy at the MCG and the WACA?

Lol, I would likee to see this justified? Hmm could have sworn he was hardly sighted in our 100 point Elim loss to WCE @ Subi, not sure they play at the WACA anymore...

Put me in the group also that is happy to give Daw a shot.

Lachie is limited but does his job. Chb for mine, a dour role more suits his ability.

You are spot on there, he has no x-factor as a forward, but even when he played down back he wasnt much good, I recall several spankings he copped from Riewoldt etc...why dont we just try someone else instead of wasting our time 'waiting, waiting'......its time for results!

You are spot on there, he has no x-factor as a forward, but even when he played down back he wasnt much good, I recall several spankings he copped from Riewoldt etc...why dont we just try someone else instead of wasting our time 'waiting, waiting'......its time for results!

It is time for results. Posters will crap on about "decoy" this, "played a team game" that, but as it stands Lachie has not taken his opportunities so far this year.

He needs to play well this week or I suspect Brad will pick someone else. Up to Lachie to (finally) step up, he has the physical tools but I must say I suspect if he has it upstairs to make it happen.

What's x-factor?

To say he wasn't much good when he played down back is a big load of shit.

he looked fairly dissapointed walking back to the rooms last week, im hoping he turns it on today, i personally think he can play both roles well, seems more comfortable down back tho

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Contested Marks thus far for the Triple Towers.
Petrie 6
Tarrant 3
Hansen 0

Marks inside 50 thus far for the Triple Towers
Petrie 6
Tarrant 4
Hansen 4

Goals from the Triple Towers
Petrie 5
Tarrant 4
Hansen 4

Contested Possessions for the Triple Towers
Petrie 23
Tarrant 12
Hansen 8

Uncontested Possessions for the Triple Towers
Hansen 24
Tarrant 19
Petrie 11

Goal Assists
Apparently Hansen had 2 against the Cats. :stern look

Tackles
All 3 have hardly laid a tackle with Tarrant and Hansen laying 3 and Petrie 2.

Conclusions from the above
Petrie isn't winning enough ball out in space. He has struggled to create space on his opponent however he has clearly been the best Triple Tower at winning contested ball.

Hansen has played the mobile forward pushing up the ground winning uncontested possessions. Zero contested marks for a guy who can take a grab is a concern. Coaches fault? Being somewhat misused? You be the judge. :stern look

Tarrant has been somewhat in between Petrie and Hansen. Taken some contested grabs. Won slightly more contested ball than Hansen but less uncontested ball than Hansen.

So who makes way for Daw? :stern look

Petrie 6
Tarrant 3
Hansen 0

Petrie 6
Tarrant 4
Hansen 4

Petrie 5
Tarrant 4
Hansen 4

Petrie 23
Tarrant 12
Hansen 8

Hansen 24
Tarrant 19
Petrie 11

Goal Assists

Tackles

Petrie isn't winning enough ball out in space. He has struggled to create space on his opponent however he has clearly been the best Triple Tower at winning contested ball.

Hansen has played the mobile forward pushing up the ground winning uncontested possessions. Zero contested marks for a guy who can take a grab is a concern. Coaches fault? Being somewhat misused? You be the judge. :stern look

Tarrant has been somewhat in between Petrie and Hansen. Taken some contested grabs. Won slightly more contested ball than Hansen but less uncontested ball than Hansen.

So who makes way for Daw? :stern look

Yep.
Out: stern look
In: Daw

In all seriousness, good analysis. Based on the above would be very harsh to drop Lachie

Contested marks are overrated

The only KPI's i wanna see from lachie are his "look at replay/mark inside 50"

Its a good indicator of his impact ;)

Interesting, I kinda think the opposite. But I would like to hear your reasoning.

My reasoning is simply that most people are claiming we should drop Lachie over Taz because they see Taz as having kicked more goals / taken more marks / whatever. From those stats it seems Hansen is playing a different role than the other two but still matching it with Taz in the areas Taz should theoretically be leading (based on their respective roles). I.e. he's playing further up the ground but still managing the same number of marks inside 50 and same number of goals.

If you take Hansen out, someone else has to provide that target up on the wings and it ain't gonna be Daw. So dropping Hansen means you are effectively changing the role of two people (Petrie/Tarrant to play Hansen's role and Daw to replace Petrie/Tarrant)

Petrie 6
Tarrant 3
Hansen 0

Petrie 6
Tarrant 4
Hansen 4

Petrie 5
Tarrant 4
Hansen 4

Petrie 23
Tarrant 12
Hansen 8

Hansen 24
Tarrant 19
Petrie 11

Goal Assists

Tackles

Of course. Just look at the stats. He is primarily being used as part of the hit up possession game through the middle.

13 marks, 0 contested and 32 disposals, 24 uncontested tells the story. His 4 goals and 2 assists is BETTER output than Petrie and Tarrant who have played mostly inside the 50 metre arc.

The coach has butchered him since the beginning of 2011.

I dread to think what he will do with Luke McDonald.

the problem is the best defender goes to Petrie while we have Hansen and Tarrant. Daw can take a few contested marks as seen in the NAB cup, if he came in and take a few big grabs in the forward line this will cause major headaches for any opposition. To me Daw can become a lot more dangerous to either Tarrant or Hansen.

the problem is the best defender goes to Petrie while we have Hansen and Tarrant. Daw can take a few contested marks as seen in the NAB cup, if he came in and take a few big grabs in the forward line this will cause major headaches for any opposition. To me Daw can become a lot more dangerous to either Tarrant or Hansen.

The best defender will always go to Drew until he retires. He is easily the best forward of the 4 you mentioned and is stronger than the other 3 too

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #6: Lachlan Hansen - pick 3 '06 - 151 NM games - NM life member - thanks Lachie

Remove this Banner Ad

Back