AFL Player # 7: Indefatigable Zach Merrett (c) - 5 time Crichton Medallist! 🏅🏅🏅🏅🏅

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes different roles, Zerrett seems to have more freedom, given more space.. but aside from the different positions.. I just thought Zerrett looked like he has a smidge more pace than his brother and quicker hands/feet.. Jerrett has been run down a couple of times (last year) and I commented that he lacks a little 'awareness' of pressure around him.. Zerrett seems to have a much better idea of where pressure is coming from and more evasive.

FWIW, I think both of them will play well and Jerret will be a near permanent in the side this year.

Zach seems to be a smarter player you suggest?

Jackson is a bit bigger (187cm) than Zach (180cm). Would love to see another set of brothers play a hundred + games together again. Not since the Johnsons have we had an exceptional pair of brothers play together in the sash.

Jackson is a bit bigger (187cm) than Zach (180cm). Would love to see another set of brothers play a hundred + games together again. Not since the Johnsons have we had an exceptional pair of brothers play together in the sash.

I didn't think Jason and Mark were related?

Well they weren't related by blood.. but I get your point..

I'm saying it is really really really early, but yes, I believe that Zach seems the smarter player..

Congrats on your first Senior selection Zach.
Your first game collecting 18 disposals, 4 tackles and kicking your first goal was a ripper. oh, that chase down tackle of old man-boy Boomer was a classic

In before Friday 10:30pm.

Congrats on your first Senior selection Zach.
Your first game collecting 18 disposals, 4 tackles and kicking your first goal was a ripper. oh, that chase down tackle of old man-boy Boomer was a classic

In before Friday 10:30pm.
Take a deep breath mate... Will be a success if he just does he's job...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Realistically.. if Zach plays.. I really wouldn't be that upset if he had 5-6 touches, but had 3-4 Tackles and snagged a goal..

What I would be more interested in is the poise, skill and hard gut running he does to get to the right spots rather than just 'disposal count'.

i'd be happy with 'a glimpse'.

Joe wheeling around onto the left and nailing a goal from 55 against the suns was a glimpse. Hams almost destroying himself but still working to get the ball to advantage was a glimpse.

I'd be happy with a snapshot of what Zach is capable of

I didn't think Jason and Mark were related?
Was obviously talking about Mark and David ;)

There's going to be some very disappointed people on here come Friday night. Expecting 18 touches or so from him is pretty unrealistic given his size and engine.
He's not really that small....short, yes but reasonably sturdy and muscular and appears naturally strong - can see the beginnings of a powerful Daniel Kerr type physique. Frankly, by the standards of other Essendon draftees over the last three years he's an absolute beast....

To put it another way, if he's good enough then he's big enough. I don't think size will be what prevents him playing.

He's not really that small....short, yes but reasonably sturdy and muscular and appears naturally strong - can see the beginnings of a powerful Daniel Kerr type physique. Frankly, by the standards of other Essendon draftees over the last three years he's an absolute beast....

To put it another way, if he's good enough then he's big enough. I don't think size will be what prevents him playing.

It's his engine for me, and size is a function of that. I can't see him running out a game yet, and I'm not sure he's big enough to stick a tackle on his sixth repeat effort in 30 seconds.

He's going to be a good player, I just think it's too soon for him. I'm a massive fan.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player # 7: Indefatigable Zach Merrett (c) - 5 time Crichton Medallist! 🏅🏅🏅🏅🏅

Remove this Banner Ad

Back