AFL Player # 7: Indefatigable Zach Merrett (c) - 5 time Crichton Medallist! 🏅🏅🏅🏅🏅

Remove this Banner Ad

And my post says that if he is blitzing it at VFL level he plays AFL. Think some forget that players used to come through the under 19's and reserves, so would often be 19 or 20 before they made their debut, whereas TAC players are only 18.

Disagree with the jist. The way our VFL side is constructed (very little protection from senior players) and the difference in general play from AFL, form lines don't really correlate to actually ability. IMO he has already shown has more talent and capability than Kommer, so I don't see the point in playing him the VFL if he fills a need and is ready.

Disagree with the jist. The way our VFL side is constructed (very little protection from senior players) and the difference in general play from AFL, form lines don't really correlate to actually ability. IMO he has already shown has more talent and capability than Kommer, so I don't see the point in playing him the VFL if he fills a need and is ready.

Zach's form will show if he is too good for that level. There is an indecent haste to play first year players. Geelong and Hawthorn are patient with their players.

great kids the merretts.
their grandfather tony.
tony merrett brother of thorald,passed a couple of days ago.
i hope this doesnt affect the boys for the coming season.
tony was a gentlemen and lovely bloke ,who was a pleasure to hang around with.
had a few good drinks with him and spoke footy on many occasions .
it easy to see where the grandchildren get their spirit and dedication from.
i wish them all the best for the coming season and hope this doesnt take to much a toll on them.
anyway thanks for letting me post on this page doss.

We were a shit side in Heppell's first year so he was already ahead of a bunch of list cloggers. Same reason guys like Toumpas get games with the Dees in their first and second years.

What about Selwood or Cyril? Premiership players in their first years. It's not about having a crap side, if a player is good enough straight away you play them.

What about Selwood or Cyril? Premiership players in their first years. It's not about having a crap side, if a player is good enough straight away you play them.
Cool, so you've found two examples out of the hundreds of players drafted in the last decade. Not every player is an Ollie Wines who is up to playing every game from the first season. The problem is that everyone focuses on those players and never remember the majority of players that spend 3-5 years working towards regular senior games.

Cool, so you've found two examples out of the hundreds of players drafted in the last decade. Not every player is an Ollie Wines who is up to playing every game from the first season. The problem is that everyone focuses on those players and never remember the majority of players that spend 3-5 years working towards regular senior games.
It's not that implausible or improbable that a player who has played very well in the pre-season would play round one in a position where we're both injury affected and not that strong to begin with.

It's not that implausible or improbable that a player who has played very well in the pre-season would play round one in a position where we're both injury affected and not that strong to begin with.
No, but to simply expect it seems a bit dumb. There are plenty of other possibilities for selection who would have bigger tanks and potentially more runs on the board.

Two players... Wines, Viney, Crouch, O'Meara, Mayes, Vlaustin, Grundy, Menzel, Macrae, Hrovat, Whitfield, Colquhoun (Not including players like Daniher, Stringer, Thurlow, Lonergan, who came in and played some games at a very good standard) all first year kids and all played at good enough standard to be in a premiership team. Not forgetting the stock pile of kids sitting on the bench for GWS and Gold coast that would be playing at other clubs.

Dividing that between 18 clubs, one player per club should be good to go.

Last edited:
What if you don't dominate in VFL but are clearly in the senior best 22? Possible, no?

Why does he need to dominate? Doubt Kommer would dominate VFL and have never heard any suggestion that Jackson Merrett or Dalgleish have either so why hold Zac to a higher standard? On the flip-side Dell is quite dominant at VFL level but struggles at senior level...

Zac is ready to play some senior footy this year - he's strong, hard and skilful, absolutely no reason to hold him back IMO.
There's been a few players I remember over the years who walked straight into the 1's. Vanderhaar, Timmy Watson, Wanganeen, Riolo, C. Heppell, Selwood etc and never looked back...Let's hope you're right and he starts round 1 and ends up similar to any of the above...I really like the comparison of him to Luke Power...He's already better than his bro in my eyes..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If he deserves a game and our team is better with him in it .....then play him.
went to my school, tore up school footy. One of the best kicks you'll see. Very nuggety and classy (can play inside or out) can see him being a sub player this year.

No one should be doubting his ability to slot in to the seniors this year. If he's fit all year i'm 100% certain he will play at some stage.

He probably won't be able to have Heppell like impact, but i'm very confident we'll see him this year and he'll acquit himself pretty well

You're kidding right? It's a no brainer, Zach is clearly a better player already..Dell is never going to make it at the top level, too slow for his size..

I'd back Dell to get more touches, kick more goals and create more chances than a kid who could probably manage 60% TOG at best.

Season prediction: the club will manage the shit out of Zac, with him probably not playing more than 65% TOG in the VFL all season, yet over three quarters of BF posters will include him in the "ins" every week.

With the cap on rotations, would have to prove he can play four quarters to get a game (exc. as sub). Would be disappointed if he doesn't get two or three appearances though this season, at least. Of course, depends on the rest of the squad, but at this stage I reckon he's shown that he wouldn't be completely out of his depth.

Whilst managing kids is the conservative, proven method, there's no reason why a baptism by fire couldn't work. Seems like his head's in the right place, and he's got enough size to hold his own. Anywho...

Personally I would like to see more youth blooded under the fire.. and with Melksham and Winders out.. Zach has to be around the mark..

I agree he is most likely not going to get a gig.. but I wouldn't be that disappointed if he was given a chance in Rnd 1 to make the small forward position his own..

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player # 7: Indefatigable Zach Merrett (c) - 5 time Crichton Medallist! 🏅🏅🏅🏅🏅

Remove this Banner Ad

Back