AFL Player # 7: Indefatigable Zach Merrett (c) - 5 time Crichton Medallist! ๐Ÿ…๐Ÿ…๐Ÿ…๐Ÿ…๐Ÿ…

Remove this Banner Ad

No reason it should be a fine

Watch the footage, Merrett throws the headback

And Pruess is a foot taller and weights around 40 kgs more than Merrett. How can you tell exactly how much contact there was? The fact that Pruess lifted his arm and deliberately initiated contact I'm not surprised Merrett threw himself backwards, I wouldn't want to stand there and just take the contact coming towards me either.

And Pruess is a foot taller and weights around 40 kgs more than Merrett. How can you tell exactly how much contact there was? The fact that Pruess lifted his arm and deliberately initiated contact I'm not surprised Merrett threw himself backwards, I wouldn't want to stand there and just take the contact coming towards me either.
While your last point makes complete sense, he shouldn't just stand there and take it

He also shouldn't be taking himself out of the contest by going to ground

While your last point makes complete sense, he shouldn't just stand there and take it

Given that Pruess is huge the only option is to try to avoid contact. Not sure Merrett had the time to dodge. Maybe he accentuated the contact a bit in the hope of drawing a free, but who can tell what was going through his mind in that split second just before contact. Maybe he threw his head back so it wouldn't be hit by Pruess' shoulder, and if he hadn't done that then we'd currently be discussing how many weeks Pruess should get.

Given that Pruess is huge the only option is to try to avoid contact. Not sure Merrett had the time to dodge. Maybe he accentuated the contact a bit in the hope of drawing a free, but who can tell what was going through his mind in that split second just before contact. Maybe he threw his head back so it wouldn't be hit by Pruess' shoulder, and if he hadn't done that then we'd currently be discussing how many weeks Pruess should get.
Preuss wasnt exactly flying at him, he may be big, but he isn't exactly quick off the mark

The throwing of the head back would be belivable in regards to your 2nd point, but to "dodge" the shoulder is a bit of a stretch

But correct, if head contact was made, it would be a suspension discussion

If Pruess barreled into yourself, would you not go to ground?

remember, internet tough guy persona got boring in 2006

No reason it should be a fine

Watch the footage, Merrett throws the headback
Ther

He was already out of that contest. The ball was 5m away. Last time I heard you weren't allowed to take players out of the ball

This. The contact was unreasonable and unnecessary.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Preuss's hit on Merrett going unnoticed by the AFL is exactly the kind of thing Brasher and/or Rutten should be calling out in the media. It seems like Zach cops treatment like this quite a bit. Eddie would have called it out. Scott would have called it out. Clarko would have called it out. Do they think calling this stuff out might galvanise the club a little? Even if it falls on deaf ears, that simple act demonstrates the club's care to the players.

And getting his head treated like a speedball

Someone should've retaliated on behalf of Merrett. You obviously dont want a long suspension or to be de registered from the game but a one week for rough conduct (like a head lock on Preuss that you hold on to for just that little bit longer to give him something to think about) or just fines for constantly tieing him up in clinches and peppering him with jumper punches. Do the same to Perryman.

If the boys are serious about wanting to be a good side they need to be respected enough that the opposition know they cant snipe and bash our best player off the ball and get away with it.

The softness of our 22 needs to be address by the coaches and playing group together. And its not about going out there with fake bravado and starting little push and shoves for no reason. We should be hard at the ball and man fairly and leave it at that. But as soon as Pruess or some other dopey prick thinks they can snipe Merrett off the ball, go and start some shit

Merett going down that easy is just as soft as the players not going to help him out after.

Its definitely an issue. Its been an issue for a long time and its hard to get tough leaders when all the tough on field leaders we had retired 10+years ago, its hard to teach.

We can only hope some of the under 25s have it already in them.

Preuss's hit on Merrett going unnoticed by the AFL is exactly the kind of thing Brasher and/or Rutten should be calling out in the media. It seems like Zach cops treatment like this quite a bit. Eddie would have called it out. Scott would have called it out. Clarko would have called it out. Do they think calling this stuff out might galvanise the club a little? Even if it falls on deaf ears, that simple act demonstrates the club's care to the players.

Meh, this example seems just a case of Merrett trying to milk a free.

Intriguing that certain posters are missing after Zach turns up some disappointing effortsโ€ฆ

But but but but future captain ๐Ÿ˜ฎโ€๐Ÿ’จ

Interesting interview with Merrett about his personal form, position, effort and the teamโ€™s poor start to the year, as a sort of oblique rebuttal of the video posted above (he was being tagged, so most of the job is to get away from Perryman), but particularly with the idea that heโ€™s likely as not going to be our captain soon enough and his attitudes should be setting the tone for everyone.

Sorry, but to be honest I don't give a damn, Zach. What's happening now is as much on you (and the rest of the players) as it is Truck.

I'll believe you when I see it, until then, don't **t in my hand and tell me it's a present.
Canโ€™t wait for the usually Zach talk tonight. Yawn

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player # 7: Indefatigable Zach Merrett (c) - 5 time Crichton Medallist! ๐Ÿ…๐Ÿ…๐Ÿ…๐Ÿ…๐Ÿ…

Remove this Banner Ad

Back