Traded 7. Matthew Kennedy - Traded to the Western Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Good footballer, even better bloke

Writing was on the wall when the club told him they saw him as a flanker rather than a mid, which I find strange

Even more bizarre, the pick we got will likely be swallowed up by a bid on Ben
Maybe they just wanted to do the right thing and get him to a club so he could get game time.

Given they shafted him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apologies all, I didn't mean to disrespect him. He played 99 games more for Carlton than any of us will.

In my defense, I was reading too many facebook comments about how great he was and how much we will miss him, and it got the best of me.

Maybe they just wanted to do the right thing and get him to a club so he could get game time.

Given they shafted him.
The reality is he would have played half as many game this year if JSOS had been available and is not best 22 if Cerra and Doc are fully fit.

For him to get the security of another 2 years ( already had next year) is massive for him and will take him to 30 about the age where B graders start to get delisted. Just not sure the bulldogs is the best fit for him.

Despite not showing much we needed to back Carrol and Little Durds in over their older team mates for now. Don't want 12 30yr olds on the lit in 2 years time.

No - not that type of person. Obviously unhappy to be subbed but was very embarrassed by how the photos came out in the press and didn't 'crack the sads'.

You don't win Best Clubman for nothing !!
There would be something wrong if any Carlton player was looking happy being scoreless and down 10 goals in a final

This could be a reasonable trade for us.

A few points to consider....

1. Kennedy is no longer best 22 for us. Already pushed put of our midfield. He would have spent 2025 in the VFL, only playing if there are injuries.

2. Timing is right. I'm confident Lord will be a beauty. Will do what Kennedy does in the middle but with more run down and tackle pressure. Camporeale is a good up and coming inside mid. I'm confident E Hollands, Docherty, Cerra and pick 3 will be right up there as onballers for us to go with Cripps, Walsh and Hewett. What a lot of fans aren't seeing is that Kennedy would be a long way off playing AFL next season. It took an avalanche of injuries to get him into the team this year.

What's our pecking order? Cripps, Walsh, Cerra, Hewett, Docherty, Lord, Pick 3, E Hollands, Ben Camporeale? He's getting fair way down.

3. There is a dramatic shift away from this sort of midfielder in the AFL now. The up and back speed of ball movement is fast and the requirement to be able to run down opposition players is much higher due to less congestion around the ball. Kennedy was hard to shift because teams are moving away from big, slow immobile players. We were lucky to be able to do it. Wait 12 months and Kennedy would have been a delisted free agent looking for a club. Game has changed a lot. I would not say he walks into the Dogs side either. He may have a role as a big stay at home mid, let's see.

4. Depends what pick 38 is. It will either be a player or Ben Camporeale. Then it comes down to who we draft with pick 63. Either way it gives us a selection in the Draft. I think we will be trying to move up the Draft order on the night. Looking to package our 2nd, 3rd and/or 4th picks.

I like Kennedy but the club has got this right. Been calling this one for a few years now. Our midfield should progress, especially with Cody Walker coming to us soon enough as well.

Let it all out guys, but we won't miss him.
Well I already miss him. But that's a personal feeling.

Onfield, sure, given list demographic and balance we might not. But that's no shade on Matty.

This could be a reasonable trade for us.

A few points to consider....

1. Kennedy is no longer best 22 for us. Already pushed put of our midfield. He would have spent 2025 in the VFL, only playing if there are injuries.

2. Timing is right. I'm confident Lord will be a beauty. Will do what Kennedy does in the middle but with more run down and tackle pressure. Camporeale is a good up and coming inside mid. I'm confident E Hollands, Docherty, Cerra and pick 3 will be right up there as onballers for us to go with Cripps, Walsh and Hewett. What a lot of fans aren't seeing is that Kennedy would be a long way off playing AFL next season. It took an avalanche of injuries to get him into the team this year.

What's our pecking order? Cripps, Walsh, Cerra, Hewett, Docherty, Lord, Pick 3, E Hollands, Ben Camporeale? He's getting fair way down.

3. There is a dramatic shift away from this sort of midfielder in the AFL now. The up and back speed of ball movement is fast and the requirement to be able to run down opposition players is much higher due to less congestion around the ball. Kennedy was hard to shift because teams are moving away from big, slow immobile players. We were lucky to be able to do it. Wait 12 months and Kennedy would have been a delisted free agent looking for a club. Game has changed a lot. I would not say he walks into the Dogs side either. He may have a role as a big stay at home mid, let's see.

4. Depends what pick 38 is. It will either be a player or Ben Camporeale. Then it comes down to who we draft with pick 63. Either way it gives us a selection in the Draft. I think we will be trying to move up the Draft order on the night. Looking to package our 2nd, 3rd and/or 4th picks.

I like Kennedy but the club has got this right. Been calling this one for a few years now. Our midfield should progress, especially with Cody Walker coming to us soon enough as well.
I reckon order will be cripps walsh pick 3 cerra hewett etc

That order because i expect the Pick 3 to be unlike the others and be our PoD

I reckon order will be cripps walsh pick 3 cerra hewett etc

That order because i expect the Pick 3 to be unlike the others and be our PoD
I think so. I'm excited about pick 3. Some great talent there. Also Lord. Watched a bit of his two AFL games, I'm still flabbergasted he was dropped. Point of difference in his run down and tackles were massive, also won a lot of the ball for his TOG. Ben Camporeale I think has it as well. I think he's an AFL player but we will see. Our onball group should be strong for a while. I think with Walker who is an elite talent also coming it should be good for a while.

Just hope the recruiters don't have the blinkers on being all about speed or all about ball winning. A good ball winner, with pace who runs opposition down and tackles well is what we need to add. In the past we have picked players with some good traits but missing important ones like these.

I think that is what we will get with the intention of them playing as a plus 1 mid. Meaning they play off a half back or half forward flank and play up around the midfield. Similar to Daicos. And we develop them there before being a player who starts on the ball. But who knows.

I think so. I'm excited about pick 3. Some great talent there. Also Lord. Watched a bit of his two AFL games, I'm still flabbergasted he was dropped. Point of difference in his run down and tackles were massive, also won a lot of the ball for his TOG. Ben Camporeale I think has it as well. I think he's an AFL player but we will see. Our onball group should be strong for a while. I think with Walker who is an elite talent also coming it should be good for a while.

Just hope the recruiters don't have the blinkers on being all about speed or all about ball winning. A good ball winner, with pace who runs opposition down and tackles well is what we need to add. In the past we have picked players with some good traits but missing important ones like these.

I think that is what we will get with the intention of them playing as a plus 1 mid. Meaning they play off a half back or half forward flank and play up around the midfield. Similar to Daicos. And we develop them there before being a player who starts on the ball. But who knows.
It is hard to fathom how Lord went undrafted (though obviously teams were looking at him given North had him in their VFL programme). His output, albeit over a small sample size matched what you would expect from a first round pick in their first year around 17 possessions off low game time. See Ryle Sanders as an example

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded 7. Matthew Kennedy - Traded to the Western Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back