Player Watch #8: Bailey Scott

Remove this Banner Ad

Out-of-contract Scott set to wait​

North Melbourne won’t rush talks on a new contract for wingman Bailey Scott. The man who has twice finished top-three in the club’s best and fairest is out of contract at season’s end.

While he has been one of the club’s most consistent players, he would have been leapfrogged this year on the contract pecking order by some of his up-and-coming teammates, including Rising Star favourite George Wardlaw. Scott, 23, has averaged 19 touches a game across 14 matches this season. The Kangaroos have significant salary cap room to add to their list. Scott has previously attracted interest from Geelong, where Scott’s father, Robert, played for nine years between 1986 to 1994. Robert Scott then joined North in 1995-2000.

Smart by us
Trade bait

Gc what you got

Why don’t we want Scott? Or does he not want us?
there's a whole bunch of them in the same category - Scott, Curtis Taylor, Lazzaro, Phillips

How much do you want to pay good ordinary footballers when the higher graded talent remains unsigned, eg Zurhaar.

A few pieces need to fall before decisions can be made about the next tier

there's a whole bunch of them in the same category - Scott, Curtis Taylor, Lazzaro, Phillips

How much do you want to pay good ordinary footballers when the higher graded talent remains unsigned, eg Zurhaar.

A few pieces need to fall before decisions can be made about the next tier
Apart from Lazz I would keep all the above IMO. If CZ is happy with terms he should stay, especially considering we gave him a start when we picked him up as a rookie. I would say that CT and WillPhil would sign a year contract on average coin and given a chance to prove themselves for next year. I would give Scott 2 years but if he’s after $$$ then he can leave. I wonder what draft pick we’d get from the Cats/GC?

Apart from Lazz I would keep all the above IMO. If CZ is happy with terms he should stay, especially considering we gave him a start when we picked him up as a rookie. I would say that CT and WillPhil would sign a year contract on average coin and given a chance to prove themselves for next year. I would give Scott 2 years but if he’s after $$$ then he can leave. I wonder what draft pick we’d get from the Cats/GC?
Agree with most of that, but just bear in mind my four names were only indicative - there's a few more they need to juggle, and at least one (eddie Ford) would probably be a higher priority than the 4 we're discussing

Willphill is an order of magnitude better than any of those blokes. His disposal is obscenely reliable even in tight and under pressure. Was a good comparison recently with Anthony stevens where its just taking him a while to find it.

Scott seems more valuable than other people are suggesting. His run, his efforts, his positioning have been a huge part of how North is playing. I think he’d be pretty hard to replace (borne out by Stephens’ contributions as an import with a similar skill set on paper).

Scott seems more valuable than other people are suggesting. His run, his efforts, his positioning have been a huge part of how North is playing. I think he’d be pretty hard to replace (borne out by Stephens’ contributions as an import with a similar skill set on paper).
I’m sure we can find another butcher if needed

Ideally we don’t have anyone who plays that can’t kick to the standard required going forward tho

OK, but apart from all that...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

you only really appreciate the run when you watch him at the ground live. the distance he covers, sprints, etc just to apply pressure or man a switch.

in a team that lacked gas he always had it.

but is that his only skill?

It's a pretty interesting development.

It's hard to understand if this is coming from Scott, North or both.

The wording in the article seems to allude this being North driven if no contract has even been offered.

At 23, with 80 games and a few years of good B&F results, he probably holds a little bit of currency. It would be interesting if this is the angle the club is looking at.

He also belongs nowhere near the same discussions as Lazarro, Taylor etc.

He might be many things, but he's still an AFL standard footballer that would be miles from list spot discussions.

It might revolve more around future planning of game time and considering Powell, McKercher, Duursma and another top pick this year.

It also puts into contrast handing someone like Dylan Stephens a 4 year deal and then taking a stance on Scott, who is a superior player, in a similar role, in just about every department.

Willphill is an order of magnitude better than any of those blokes. His disposal is obscenely reliable even in tight and under pressure. Was a good comparison recently with Anthony stevens where its just taking him a while to find it.
If that’s the case a contract should be put forward to him soon.

It's a pretty interesting development.

It's hard to understand if this is coming from Scott, North or both.

The wording in the article seems to allude this being North driven if no contract has even been offered.

At 23, with 80 games and a few years of good B&F results, he probably holds a little bit of currency. It would be interesting if this is the angle the club is looking at.

He also belongs nowhere near the same discussions as Lazarro, Taylor etc.

He might be many things, but he's still an AFL standard footballer that would be miles from list spot discussions.

It might revolve more around future planning of game time and considering Powell, McKercher, Duursma and another top pick this year.

It also puts into contrast handing someone like Dylan Stephens a 4 year deal and then taking a stance on Scott, who is a superior player, in a similar role, in just about every department.
A pick in the 20s for Scott?
If he went to GC or Cats he would be a fringe player picked at the Cats and IMO not picked within 2 years at the Suns with the emerging talent they have.

A pick in the 20s for Scott?
If he went to GC or Cats he would be a fringe player picked at the Cats and IMO not picked within 2 years at the Suns with the emerging talent they have.

Surely GC is a bit of a lazy link?

The Scotts have all been in Melbourne for years haven't they? His brother plays suburban footy in Melbourne. Robert moved the family down when Bailey got drafted 6 years ago didn't he?

I doubt there'd be any personal pull to GC, surely? Apart from him being an Academy player and potentially open to it?

With Lombard, Rodgers etc, I doubt GC would even be really interested. They have as much young midfield depth as we do.

He had a really bad first half of the year, however, most of the team did. Since the bye, hes getting his form back like most of the team.

Some of you have very short memories. Last year was phenomenal and we were awful.

• His body is reliable, he has kept healthy for longer than most on our list
  • He runs all day, he clocks up more kms that most our team
  • His endurance is immense, he is gut running until the last siren
  • Even when he isn't having the best game he puts in effort
  • When he is on, that drive from the wing is what we need
  • His DE% and TO is so over inflated by some, again, when is he in form, he is accurate
  • All we have as a winger is Eddie who hasn't signed and maybe Fisher, what we want Stephens to take his spot?!
  • He has experience. He has been at the club for a while now. We need to retain some.

Must sign him

Last edited:
Sure GC is a bit of a lazy link?

The Scotts have all been in Melbourne for years haven't they? His brother plays suburban footy in Melbourne. Robert moved the family down when Bailey got drafted 6 years ago didn't he?

I doubt there'd be any personal pull to GC, surely? Apart from him being an Academy player and potentially open to it?

With Lombard, Rodgers etc, I doubt GC would even be really interested. They have as much young midfield depth as we do.
Agreed, I’m sure I read on here a link to GC?🤔

He had a really bad first half of the year, however, most of the team did. Since the bye, hes getting his form back like most of the team.

Some of you have very short memories. Last year was phenomenal and we were awful.

• His DE% and TO is so over inflated by some, again, when is he in form, he is accurate
  • All we have as a winger is Eddie who hasn't signed and maybe Fisher, what we want Stephens to take his spot?!
  • He has experience. He has been at the club for a while now. We need to retain some.

Must sign him

I wouldn't agree with that.

We also have McKercher and potentially Duursma long term.

This won't be a discussion regarding now, or even Rnd 1 of 2025.

Most of the time you have issues like this occuring, it's already too late as the player has eroded in the VFL for a season.

It's also the same discussions that will realistically need to occur with Powell and Phillips for long term planning.

Powell is good young player, statistically he's one of the best young clearance players under 22 in the comp.

However, we've seen a regression back to some of the 2023 performances in the last month, as his center bounce time has been halved with Simpkin's return and he's been played at times at half forward again.

We can't keep doing this long term imo and a decision will need to be made about list balance. You are really doing a disservice to Powell's development as well as to the club in terms of a young asset (I hate saying it like that, but it's true)

Must sign him
Theres likely 10 blokes on our list i would cut before scott. 60 percent of the drivel in this thread is orchestrated by one clown. From a practical perspective to chop scott and retain biggie ccj, bergman, sleevo, pink or free or laz, for example would amount to list sabortage.

Good player, definitely a useful role for us. Doesn't put him on the irreplaceable for the right offer list IMO.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back