AFL Player # 8: Ben "Goblin" Hobbs

Remove this Banner Ad

Happy to see him get genuine midfield time at VFL level instead of hiding him away on a flank.

Let him earn his way into the engine room at AFL level through performance and improve his craft.

Got a feeling he ends up at Geelong next year. Someone will offer him mid time at AFL level

Christopher Guest Lol GIF by Maudit

Christopher Guest These Go To Eleven GIF by Maudit

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So Hobbs was the correct pick at the time?

Absolutely he was.

Hobbs’ strength is what we didn’t have at the time. Caldwell wasn’t this. Durham certainly was in our imagination at best. We hadn’t drafted Tsatas yet.

I can’t remember what stage of Parish’s development we were at, at that point - but yes you’re actually making our point for us… “at the time” Hobbs was absolutely the right pick, in an area of need.

Although to be fair, changing Dodoro to Dudoro probably does mean Hobbs was the wrong pick.

Absolutely he was.

Hobbs’ strength is what we didn’t have at the time. Caldwell wasn’t this. Durham certainly was in our imagination at best. We hadn’t drafted Tsatas yet.

I can’t remember what stage of Parish’s development we were at, at that point - but yes you’re actually making our point for us… “at the time” Hobbs was absolutely the right pick, in an area of need.

Although to be fair, changing Dodoro to Dudoro probably does mean Hobbs was the wrong pick.

Parish was AA in 2021.

Agree that Durham wasn't what he is now, but we had Merrett, Parish, Shiel, Caldwell (who was brought in to be an inside mid) and Perkins (drafted as a HF, but everyone knew he was going to be developed as a mid).

Look at the selections after Hobbs, a handful of them much more needed for our list build than another small mid.

Yeah...Wrong selection at the time.

Perfect example of Dudoro not being able to build a balanced list.
Ah now we're talking about two different things here. Selection vs Building a balanced list. I agree with on on Balanced list, Adrian has done a poor job.

That said at the time our list needed midfielders and Hobbs was the best midfielder available in the draft at that time.
Our list had guys like Zaharakis on the way out & Tom Cutler. Yes we had Durham & Caldwell but both were a long way off in regards to development. Paper thin at best overall.

Now there's an arguement we could've gone a forward like Van Rooyven or maybe even a small forward like Kai Lohman or Darcy Wilmot and when talking balance they probably would've been better options, but again we went with a need and got the best available player in that area.

Ah now we're talking about two different things here. Selection vs Building a balanced list. I agree with on on Balanced list, Adrian has done a poor job.

That said at the time our list needed midfielders and Hobbs was the best midfielder available in the draft at that time.
Our list had guys like Zaharakis on the way out & Tom Cutler. Yes we had Durham & Caldwell but both were a long way off in regards to development. Paper thin at best overall.

Now there's an arguement we could've gone a forward like Van Rooyven or maybe even a small forward like Kai Lohman or Darcy Wilmot and when talking balance they probably would've been better options, but again we went with a need and got the best available player in that area.

I think a key defender, forward or a small forward were much more needed than another mid. We ended up taking a key defender the year after in Hayes.

Merrett, Parish, Shiel, Caldwell, Durham, Perkins, even Smith at the time (no one knew he was going to retire in 2022)

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player # 8: Ben "Goblin" Hobbs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back