AFL Player # 8: Ben "Goblin" Hobbs

Remove this Banner Ad

Love Hobbs but the call to take Durham out of the middle for him is crazy. He’s our second or third best player all season.

Love Hobbs but the call to take Durham out of the middle for him is crazy. He’s our second or third best player all season.
I think Duz playing the half forward/stoppages role suits the team better atm, hes still mega effective and good to have him closer to the fwd 50

But yes, he is also an incredible midfielder who can have my kids

Who else should we have picked? We needed a young inside mid, Hobbs slid from around 6-8 to 13, and there was nobody else valuable. It was an excellent pick at the time. Seriously, who else should we have taken before him?

Have a look who was picked in the handful after Hobbs...

Have a look who was picked in the handful after Hobbs...
Rest of the first round:

Campbell Chesser. Meh, he's good but very similar type to Perkins who we drafted the year before
Leek Aleer. Good player but again, we went KPP heavy the year before.
Darcy Wilmot. Very good player, there's an argument to be made for him.
Tom Brown. Meh, another medium defender that we had a glut of.
Angus Sheldrick. An inferior version of Hobbs with go home risk.
JVR. See Leek Aleer
Kai Lohmann. See Campbell Chesser

Rest of the first round:

Campbell Chesser. Meh, he's good but very similar type to Perkins who we drafted the year before
JVR. See Leek Aleer

Lohmann was drafted as a forward.

Rest of the first round:

JVR. See Leek Aleer

I'm sorry but Sheldrick is in no way an inferior version of Hobbs, this will become evident next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Parish was AA in 2021.

Agree that Durham wasn't what he is now, but we had Merrett, Parish, Shiel, Caldwell (who was brought in to be an inside mid) and Perkins (drafted as a HF, but everyone knew he was going to be developed as a mid).

Look at the selections after Hobbs, a handful of them much more needed for our list build than another small mid.
Caldwell played 2 games in 2021 and had a significant injury history prior to arriving at the club. Shiel played a handful of games due to injury, and being an older player there was doubt over his longer term durability. Perkins was one year in and the jury was well and truly still out on him (just look at his progress as a midfielder this year).

Hobbs was absolutely the right call at the time.

If Parish wasn't in the midfield rotation we would've lost by 10 goals.

Shiel is the one to remove but not because he's been bad but because he's probably leaving

Spare me. He’s a stat padder at best, has zero impact on the game and his disposal/decision making is shocking for what we are sold as a top end talent.

Shiel is twice the player Parish is.

What's his trade value right now? I think he is clearly going to be a good mid but not sure it can happen with us. Just not the player we need. It would be nice if we could trade for a high pick player in a similar situation somewhere else?

What's his trade value right now? I think he is clearly going to be a good mid but not sure it can happen with us. Just not the player we need. It would be nice if we could trade for a high pick player in a similar situation somewhere else?
Probably nets us an early-mid second rounder. I don’t see how you fit him, Tsatas, Merrett, Parish, Durham and Caldwell into one midfield so I wouldn’t be opposed to it.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player # 8: Ben "Goblin" Hobbs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back