AFL Player # 8: Ben "Goblin" Hobbs

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes there was a reason he played a bit of VFL footy. He had a 4 week calf injury.
Played the first 9 games.
Out injured for 4 weeks.
Played 5 VFL games.
Played the last 3 AFL games.
One thing he does have that we lack across the board is he is hard at the contest and physical.
You keep making this point and it’s true. But you aren’t acknowledging that he was not getting a lot of midfield time. As such there is a valid concern that we are holding his development back to a degree. That’s the message I’d take to the trade table with him - he is a first round pick ready to take off but we’ve held him back for unavoidable and valid reasons.
I actually wonder whether he might be worth more than people think.

You keep making this point and it’s true. But you aren’t acknowledging that he was not getting a lot of midfield time. As such there is a valid concern that we are holding his development back to a degree. That’s the message I’d take to the trade table with him - he is a first round pick ready to take off but we’ve held him back for unavoidable and valid reasons.
I actually wonder whether he might be worth more than people think.
Still gets a game which equates to coach likes his hardness at the footy. Even though he has not had big numbers playing high half forward and his game is not totally suited to it he still rates okay for most stats comparing half forwards.
I know he has his issues but we are a side that lacks physical hard at it players and he is one.

Still gets a game which equates to coach likes his hardness at the footy. Even though he has not had big numbers playing high half forward and his game is not totally suited to it he still rates okay for most stats comparing half forwards.
I know he has his issues but we are a side that lacks physical hard at it players and he is one.
I’ve got no issue with him at all. I fully expect him to become a very good player at a club that can give him midfield time. I just don’t see how we can do that? Next year looks worse than this year because tsatas looks like he will demand midfield time and actually matches a need. Barring lots of injuries hobbs will get even less midfield minutes which realistically helps no one.

Collingwood is also eyeing fringe midfielder Ben Hobbs who has struggled to cement a position in the team amid the midfield logjam at Tullamarine.

The Magpies could use pick 20 which it wants from Gold Coast for John Noble to help pull off deals for Adelaide backman Mark Keane and Hobbs, who was originally taken pick 13 by Essendon.

Hobbs has been likened to former Collingwood hard nut Taylor Adams, who was traded to Sydney Swans late last year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Port - Richards
Pies - Hobbs
Dons - Picks

Maybe? Or is Richards worth less than we'd like?
i’d wager that he’s increased his profile by moving into the middle. very handy rotation to have & a good ball user

I’ve got no issue with him at all. I fully expect him to become a very good player at a club that can give him midfield time. I just don’t see how we can do that? Next year looks worse than this year because tsatas looks like he will demand midfield time and actually matches a need. Barring lots of injuries hobbs will get even less midfield minutes which realistically helps no one.
And 2026 and 2027 and 2028 ?
He may well have a great pre season and grab a midfield spot. Not sure you can be predicating what happens with the midfield minutes next year. Durham could go back to playing wing. Parish could play more forward. Merrett could be used at half back. There are a lot of things that could happen.
For me you do not move young blokes on because they may not get minutes in their prefered position.
There will be injuries.

He's not going to grow another 10cm or gain explosive pace in the next 3 years. Again it's not about him being no good, he just doesn't really add to the team based on our current mix. It just makes sense to move him on to fill one of the many holes on our list.

What holes?

Aside from big mids there isn’t actually that many that aren’t being filled with young highly drafted players or AA’s

Issue is the mix is off more than anything else. But mostly progression will come getting games into the players on the list

What holes?

Aside from big mids there isn’t actually that many that aren’t being filled with young highly drafted players or AA’s

Issue is the mix is off more than anything else. But mostly progression will come getting games into the players on the list

HBF
HBF
Back Pocket
CHB
Big body mid
HFF
CHF
Forward Pocket
Forward Pocket

And our depth is pretty crap outside of Setterfield and whichever of Hobbs/Tsatas can’t get a game

HBF
HBF
Back Pocket
CHB
Big body mid
HFF
CHF
Forward Pocket
Forward Pocket

And our depth is pretty crap outside of Setterfield and whichever of Hobbs/Tsatas can’t get a game

Assuming we are rebuilding
HB1 Redman was 2nd team AA last season and Roberts has come on strongly

Back pocket: McGrath is not going anywhere
CHB Reid/Hayes/Cox all have that as their natural position. That’s a lot of draft capital invested in that spot. Surely it’s worth exploring which of those 3 grow into that role which means there isn’t a need to upgrade at present.

Big bodied mid: Agree 100%

CHF: Caddy
HHF: Pressure Forwards: Kako, Gresham, Saad, Daveys, Perkins.

That’s the thing about young teams you need to give them a chance to grow and become the best version of themselves then you plan upgrades when in window.

HBF
HBF
Back Pocket
CHB
Big body mid
HFF
CHF
Forward Pocket
Forward Pocket

CHF should be FF. Caddy is our CHF. Mobile. Runs at the footy. Takes marks and makes good decisions with the ball in hand but we are in the wrong thread to be talking this :)

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player # 8: Ben "Goblin" Hobbs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back