AFL Player # 8: Ben "Goblin" Hobbs

Remove this Banner Ad

My concern is that in most clubs Hobbs would have played a heap more midfield time this season than he has with us

Why would that be the case?

He's not exactly shown that he's ready to play as an inside mid at AFL level. That doesn't change whether he's at EFC or anywhere else.

Midfielders from the same draft (might be a couple more, this is just from memory):
JHF
Callaghan
Daicos
Ward
Erasmus
Johnson

JHF is definitely ahead of Hobbs, still 'only' averaging 54% CBAs for the season which have decreased as the year has worn on.
Daicos also ahead of Hobbs, has high CBAs but is an outside mid so not expected to be playing in and under like Hobbs would.
I'd have Callaghan also ahead of Hobbs, around 44% avg CBAs

Ward, Erasmus, Johnson haven't played massive amount of CBAs and would be a similar kind of spot to Hobbs. Not quite there at AFL level yet.

Given his role and age, I don't think it's at all clear he'd have been playing more midfield time elsewhere.

Jay Clarke reckons we’d get a second rounder for him in a trade. Just hold him if that’s the case.
Jay Clarke just looked at the stats page and did not twig he missed 5 weeks with a calf injury and was actually in the side for the first 10 rounds. Clubs will say they are monitoring the situation when reporters ask behind the scenes but this one is pretty lazy stuff

i think with DP3 doing his <leg related injury> again he'll likely get some midfield minutes this week. one thing that was very present earlier this season (and i cannot recall if it was last season) was the refusal to use the first option and getting caught up. this didn't matter too much before the holding the ball changes but if he continues to do it he'll end up giving away a ton of free kicks.

we've seen glimpses, but i think he needs to step up this week (given that he likely deserves some actual TOG and not as a substitute) and slot himself in the midfield

In Clarkys mind there is
In his mind he is on the outer. I guess we should have played him with a wheel chair when he was injured.

This was another throw away line by Cal Twomey on the gettable show a couple of weeks back that has grown legs from no where.

Cal said he should look around but that's turned around into clubs are wanting his services and he is actively looking around.

Just more bullshit from the media that's been twisted into a story that is only half what was said

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Another young player not given enough opportunity while plodders continue to get games.

This in my opinion is a list balance issue, because we are seemingly incapable of building a list with any foresight or planning we are going to continue to lose talent like this out of the club.

What's that translate to in AFL?
10 x 234 - 22.45 x number of days since we have won a final - Kevin Sheedy's age + how much money Adrian made from the property deal = the answer to your question.

Another young player not given enough opportunity while plodders continue to get games.

This in my opinion is a list balance issue, because we are seemingly incapable of building a list with any foresight or planning we are going to continue to lose talent like this out of the club.
So we should have played him the 6 weeks he had a calf injury ? Played the first 9 games. Got injured .

What plodders is he ahead of in the midfield right now? Genuine question.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player # 8: Ben "Goblin" Hobbs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back