Player Watch #8: Jake Lever – Signed until 2028

Remove this Banner Ad

I wouldnt make him captain, just saying you need some guys to lead the way in terms of the way they approach fitness, recovery and off field behaviour. Id say Rivers should be our next captain after Max if I had to make a call right now.

God help us if they make him captain after Gawn though (as was discussed a while back).

I mean cool, he's vocal etc. But until he can take some semblance of accountability for his own inability to defend (rather than screaming at teammates when he gets beaten), no thanks. Also prone to some of the most absurd brainfades you'll see.
Might be a bit too odd to be Captain. He’s come a long way but still comes over as awkward with people.

I quite like the screaming bit though.

Its more about setting an example for professionalism. You cant question that with Jake.
Preparation and game knowledge-wise? Sure.

Not sure how professional it is to blow your top at your teammates when you make errors/get beaten, or regularly give away stupid 50s by screaming at umpires.

Don't get me wrong, I like Lever generally. But he's one of those players that's going to look rather bad as we continue to drop off.

Id say Rivers should be our next captain after Max if I had to make a call right now.
Comfortably. Down the line (once they mature), JVR and Tholstrup seem like potential candidates. Not many sticking their hands up at the moment though.

Preparation and game knowledge-wise? Sure.

Not sure how professional it is to blow your top at your teammates when you make errors/get beaten, or regularly give away stupid 50s by screaming at umpires.

Don't get me wrong, I like Lever generally. But he's one of those players that's going to look rather bad as we continue to drop off.
I'm talking about professionalism from the standpoint of a guy who doesn't go out and get on the piss or gear. Need a few old heads like that on your list.

Next captain depends a lot on when Max steps down. If it’s within two years I’d make Trac a stop gap captain whilst we find the next long term guy.
Tracs desperation to be loved by everyone would make him a terrible skipper

Harrison Petty please. Can play anywhere on the ground which helps.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Eh some players change with the captaincy. I could see trac getting better as a captain once he's doing it. Jones was self admittingly selfish but changed/worked on that about himself when he became captain. That said you'd prefer he'd be in the leadership group or something to start off with

Eh some players change with the captaincy. I could see trac getting better as a captain once he's doing it. Jones was self admittingly selfish but changed/worked on that about himself when he became captain. That said you'd prefer he'd be in the leadership group or something to start off with
Apart from being a great player nothing about Trac screams leadership

I’d trade him if there were a team willing to give up anything for an objectively limited intercept defender.
Was a poor game by Jake, but he was close to AA before getting injured. Not sure any defender would have looked good in this game. Atm on this board we're trading pretty much everyone besides a few kids. I mean even May was mentioned on Twitter lol.

JVR in a few years maybe? Has a come follow me attitude about him. Lots of similarities to Jono Brown. Riv an obvious choice too. Tholstrup has leader written all over him. ANB and Lever are probably too old now to take over from Max, who is likely got it for another couple of years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #8: Jake Lever – Signed until 2028

Remove this Banner Ad

Back