Opinion 8 Year Forecast

Remove this Banner Ad

ghostdog

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 18, 2008
gondawanaland
AFL Club
Essendon
Posting this because when we lose, as we have again tonight, I see a lot of gross stuff written about the players.

I know we've been doing circle work for 20 years. That's frustrating. I also feel frustrated.

Some of us need to seriously check ourselves though.

1. We've had one full pre-season under Brad Scott. We looked like defence kings earlier on in the season and the season has found us out. Of course. It will take more than one pre-season to nail this into a four quarter defensive effort, let alone a full season effort.

2. Culture change will take time and include turning over much more of the list. It's worth reminding ourselves that we still have remnants of post-saga "she'll be right" attitudes and club nepotism that hold us back from making the cuts and sacrifices that are needed to operate as a professional outfit. The boys only just ditched Ibiza for training - once. Good. They need to do it again.

3. This list is half-arsed and Brad knows it. It won't be turned over over night. And even when it is we'll need to iron out issues. It's the reality. We have passengers who we need to start getting rid of, but we can't do it in one fell swoop. It will also take time.

4. In the long run, this is not on the players. Someone recruited them. Yelling at them that they are a disgrace and pathetic and whatever else does nothing to support them to be better. It just makes those of us who do no better than Carlton supporters. They have their limitations. That's it. They will be delisted.

Scott has come in and realised this will be a slow burn because our issues are both cultural and structural as a club and as a team. He told us - 8 years.

I'd prefer to take stock of what I've seen tonight and try to see the long term changes and adjustments that need to be made. Caddy helped drag us back into the game tonight in, what, his third game?
Duz and Calders have been a joy every week this season. We have a Captain who wills us home now. Edge is a real possibility. We're developing it but we can do it. You've all seen it. But we will all need to be patient.

I'm willing to give Brad his 8 years. I'm looking forward to seeing how he can transform us. There will be mistakes - he's human - but we've shown more progress this season than in the last decade.

Everyone just needs to calm down.

When it's been 20 years already, 8 years isn't acceptable.

There have been signs this year but there have been signs in years gone by before, but the result is always the same.

I like Scott and believe in his vision, but I don't believe in the Essendon Football Club.
It never is but when the previous 3 builds have been ****ed up and we also ****ed ourselves with the saga it is what you get. You can not get away from having to keep starting over and over. People did not believe in Melbourne or Richmond either.

I do not think the club and culture is capable of letting a playing group and coaching staff build something successful.

Small margins of error at this level and poor list management, board behaviour and local footy thinking make it tough.

We still haven't moved on from thr drugs saga. So 8 years is optimistic.

Do we not already see drastic improvements in pressure, fitness and fighting to the final siren.

Our team defence albeit still a work in progress is leaps and bounds better than what was dished up during the rutten years.

What about player development? Durham, Caldwell have both come on immensely this year.
Martin has also taken it to a new level.
We look to have a potential star in caddy.

We pretty much all agree there are holes on the list that are currently being held by experienced low ceiling guys, but it’s the young guys who are mostly propelling any success we have had this year.

It’s year 2 of Scott, we were projected to be bottom 4 but so far we have spent more weeks in the top 4. If this is an 8 years build and it continues at this rapid rate we will be premiers in that time span.

It’s been a long time without success and it seems popular on this forum to be doom and gloom posters but have faith bomber fans

We have to be top 3 for most impatient and entitled fan base.

And before anyone @‘s me about it being 20 years, we drug cheated and are still paying for that.

And I’m of the opinion that if we went back in time and were able to choose between Knights and Dimma again, we’d choose Knights every time.

I like what we are building if we allow it.

Right captain and coach in place. Assistants seem good but maybe change 1 as need new ideas each year.

High performance seems fixed, well I'd take ours over the last 2 years over other injury lists.

I don't blame setterfield, smith, Stewart, Reid's injuries over last few years on our S & C as that's more that we liked to sign blokes for a year too long who were always injured.

2025 round 1 as our season is done.

Fb. Mcgrath McKay Ridley
Hb: Redman Reid Roberts/kelly?

C Jones Parish? duursma

Hf: Gresham? Wright? Martin
Ff: Langford Caddy (Nga kid?)/davey

Ruck: Draper? Merrett Durham

Bench: Cox, Hobbs?, Guelfi?, Caldwell

Sub: davey or roberts

Apart from Caldwell and Cox other two spots are there for perkins, tsatas, setterfield, saad elhawi to grab.

? Are positions that I have the least confidence in.

Delist or let walk:

Heppel, Sheil, weideman, wanganeen, goldy.

Decision but not fussed.

Stringer,

Rookie only
Other Davey, menzies,

Last edited:
We have to be top 3 for most impatient and entitled fan base.

And before anyone @‘s me about it being 20 years, we drug cheated and are still paying for that.
I’d say we have the most rusted on loyal fans in the comp. This club doesn’t deserve us. Huge membership, huge crowds that keep lapping up the same shit. Yes we have a bandwagon like every other club but we have the biggest core that show up every week no matter what’s served up. Proven, time and again through years of shithousery.
****ing oath we’re impatient. Also taken for granted.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’d say we have the most rusted on loyal fans in the comp. This club doesn’t deserve us. Huge membership, huge crowds that keep lapping up the same shit. Yes we have a bandwagon like every other club but we have the biggest core that show up every week no matter what’s served up. Proven, time and again through years of shithousery.
Definitely impatient, but agree 100% taken for granted.

Agree 100%.

Most elite part of essendon is the PR spin and marketing.

Hird who had no experience will save us.
Drugs saga was afl's fault.
Sheedy still around as some fans love him.
Dodo has no say and will be gone soon. Oh actually memberships and attendances are high so yeah they will be both be here for however long they want.

It's the coach's fault so we made the tough decision and sacked another coach.

Our governance, list management and culture are holding us back. But why change those when financially and on our fan metrics we are doing fine. Has the club actually admitted those things have been poor and made meaningful change in those areas.

Think we are progressing and less spin, more change but just can't make that final change needed.

Tough to fully admit guilt and move on from the saga and servants of yesteryear.

Supposedly we are more football focused now but talking about owing players because of the drugs saga and owing dodo and sheedy because of historic tenure tells me we still have a fair bit to go.

Like Richmond fans where and about to be again. Or Carlton fans for that matter. Pies manage to win a flag every ten years to stop their supporters from going even more ferral than they are.

I'm 100% confident that within 3 years of having no saga players on our list and no sheedy and dodo that we will win a flag.

How many years away that is though, is anyone's guess.

We are building a good list, have great facilities, a great supporter base and successful history. Plus good finances.

In addition to good leadership in Scott and Merret and a pretty good board.

Last edited:
My patience is waiting for tassie to arrive.
That is why in my view we need to be using our top 40 picks in the next few drafts .

It kinda doesn’t matter although I agree with you.

Us attending won’t magically change things.

And in fact the more of us that are around to be impatient probably means the club keeps looking for the quick fixes and simply thinking we should be winning flags because we are big old Essendon.

I'm not sure I I'll.buy a membership next year but I'll definitely not support another afl franchise in tassie.

Why? Tassie deserve it.

If you can't tell by my calls at selection threads, I prefer the unknown of youth and hope, so don't mind the expansion teams.

what's a flag?
For me it is the four times I have been and seen us win the last game of the season or the last three years of my other side. Go Panthers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion 8 Year Forecast

Remove this Banner Ad

Back