Opinion 8 Year Forecast

Remove this Banner Ad

Why? Tassie deserve it.

If you can't tell by my calls at selection threads, I prefer the unknown of youth and hope, so don't mind the expansion teams.
Deserve it? They're not even in the comp yet. I mean the afl as a whole doesn't deserve our money.

At least we have the Panthers.
Heading up there for the last two home games of the season and what will be the last two games before they redevelop the ground :thumbsu:

When it's been 20 years already, 8 years isn't acceptable.

There have been signs this year but there have been signs in years gone by before, but the result is always the same.

I like Scott and believe in his vision, but I don't believe in the Essendon Football Club.
Do you actually think the reality of turning a side around changes because it’s been 20 years?

It doesn’t matter if it’s been 5 years or 50, the list needs to get certain things right and that takes time. The draft and salary cap mean we can’t just buy our way it in a couple of years.

The main issue is in his first off season after the team fell apart he went straight for quick fixes in bringing in 2 players we didn't actually need. McKay was fine as it was aposition we needed, even if we are paying him far too much.

He then tells us the build will be a long one, while still playing Heppell, Goldy, Kelly, Shiel, Laverde and letting some unknown talent rot in the 2's because why, we once again won some early games and the plan went out the window because we might play a final.

Either stick to the plan, or **** off and get someone who will. Brad knows how to sell to a membership base while also doing exactly what he said he wouldn't.

The main issue is in his first off season after the team fell apart he went straight for quick fixes in bringing in 2 players we didn't actually need. McKay was fine as it was aposition we needed, even if we are paying him far too much.

He then tells us the build will be a long one, while still playing Heppell, Goldy, Kelly, Shiel, Laverde and letting some unknown talent rot in the 2's because why, we once again won some early games and the plan went out the window because we might play a final.

Either stick to the plan, or **** off and get someone who will. Brad knows how to sell to a membership base while also doing exactly what he said he wouldn't.
this is what makes me frustrated. we've hesitated in the past to play youth and paid for it by playing plodders who've been exposed every single week by the exact same thing their entire career, other teams are giving youth their opportunity and they're relishing in it

Hawks have shot past us. Appear to have implemented a game plan and are following it. Lets face it, if we played them next week, they'd win by 8 goals.
Yes but let's not forget how impatient we are. And there was a saga or something. Couple of players look like they've come good before they inevitably drop off, as well. Is Dodoro still at the club, what's his role these days?

Hawks have shot past us. Appear to have implemented a game plan and are following it. Lets face it, if we played them next week, they'd win by 8 goals.

They were also willing to go 0-5 , cop the heat to lock in on a method and plan.

The day we go 0-5 is the day we sack the coach , board and probably burn the hangar down... It's not an accepted thing out our way, we preach hope, we wallpaper over cracks to force wins, that's our way

They were also willing to go 0-5 , cop the heat to lock in on a method and plan.

The day we go 0-5 is the day we sack the coach , board and probably burn the hangar down... It's not an accepted thing out our way, we preach hope, we wallpaper over cracks to force wins, that's our way
Absolutely. No excuses for 0-5. Raise the joint to the ground. Leave only the second oval.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When it happens it happens fast.

It’s funny how often people confuse results and talent

If they were playing how they were at the start of the season we’d be entrenched in the top 4.

Have mixed oppinions about Scott’s coaching this year. Think he’s the right coach for the club and has done a good job restructuring the coaching group, but overall haven’t liked Scott’s coaching job this year. Think he’s undercut his message of prioritising effort by playing favourites. Has struggled to have any form of competent transition play or forward pressure.

Overall I think the list is pretty good Dursma, Durham, Caldwell and Jones have had breakout seasons. Caddy, Cox and Perkins have had moments

Next year we will be essentially adding at minimum 3 FRPs to the best 22 with Tsatas, Kako and whoever we take with our FRP. Which is over 10% of our list turned over even before counting any trades made to rebalance the list.

If they were playing how they were at the start of the season we’d be entrenched in the top 4.

Have mixed oppinions about Scott’s coaching this year. Think he’s the right coach for the club and has done a good job restructuring the coaching group, but overall haven’t liked Scott’s coaching job this year. Think he’s undercut his message of prioritising effort by playing favourites. Has struggled to have any form of competent transition play or forward pressure.

Overall I think the list is pretty good Dursma, Durham, Caldwell and Jones have had breakout seasons. Caddy, Cox and Perkins have had moments

Next year we will be essentially adding at minimum 3 FRPs to the best 22 with Tsatas, Kako and whoever we take with our FRP. Which is over 10% of our list turned over even before counting any trades made to rebalance the list.

do you know who our coach is? We’re playing 1 of the last 10 players we’ve drafted.

There is absolutely no world in which we go into next year with Tsatas and 2x draft picks in the side.

unfortunately the go with brad scott is to not play kids until "they're ready" by playing VFL, same thing happened at norf, ask any supporter.

i'm fine with tsatas working on his kicking in there but it's frustrating seeing the defensive liabilities of heppell and laverde week in week out and seeing no change.

Fr tho the ‘8 year plan’ thing is diabolically misinterpreted. He said the club is trying to build a group that will play the next 8 years together, not ‘we will be good in 8 years’.

This capitulation stings as always, but I’ve seen enough positives over the last two years to generally feel like we’re trending in the right direction.
Plus, it doesn’t feel as ‘capitulate-y’ as usual. I feel like we’ve played pretty consistently, the ladder has been tight all year and it’s sort of just corrected itself to where we deserve to be.

Buuuut, it’s another year gone that’ll in all likelihood go by without tangible success. We’re all only human, who knows how many more solar rotations I’ve got in me.

The forward line issues is squarely on the forward line coach.

Scott has been great but sometimes I think he gets a bit stubborn playing Goldy, Heppell, Lav & co when there might be better options.

Hawks have shot past us. Appear to have implemented a game plan and are following it. Let’s face it, if we played them next week, they'd win by 8 goals.

Yes but let's not forget how impatient we are.

Under Mitchell who has been coach longer than Brad and was planned to be coach prior to that as well.

Would Bomber fans be able to stomach trading flag heroes and sit bottom 2 for a few years? I doubt it because the only time they show frustration is when we lose. It’s like they want to rebuild while also being top 4.

The big advantage Hawthorne have is that their period of success was recent enough that they know how to be successful as an organisation. There's been some turnover of staff and only a few of the players from that era remain but that culture isn't so distant it has to be completely re-learned.

Our own situation is probably more akin (maybe worse) to that of GCS and GWS where we have several generations of players and staff distance from success and it has to be built up again completely from scratch. I say it may be worse because in addition to all that we've got a tremendous amount of baggage in terms of hangovers from the drug saga and the pressure that comes from having a finals drought that is old enough to start having little finals drought kids of it's own.

The big advantage Hawthorne have is that their period of success was recent enough that they know how to be successful as an organisation. There's been some turnover of staff and only a few of the players from that era remain but that culture isn't so distant it has to be completely re-learned.

Our own situation is probably more akin (maybe worse) to that of GCS and GWS where we have several generations of players and staff distance from success and it has to be built up again completely from scratch. I say it may be worse because in addition to all that we've got a tremendous amount of baggage in terms of hangovers from the drug saga and the pressure that comes from having a finals drought that is old enough to start having little finals drought kids of it's own.
Very well said. I’ve had the exact thought comparing us to GC/GWS.

Under Mitchell who has been coach longer than Brad and was planned to be coach prior to that as well.

Would Bomber fans be able to stomach trading flag heroes and sit bottom 2 for a few years? I doubt it because the only time they show frustration is when we lose. It’s like they want to rebuild while also being top 4.
A succession plan, why didn't we think of that

Not sure who the backline coach is but it would be brilliant if we were somehow able to get Hodge on board, even for a preseason, to do some assistant coaching work. He's been away from clubland for a while now and might be keen to dip his toes in. Show him the money.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion 8 Year Forecast

Remove this Banner Ad

Back