AFL Player # 9: Dylan Shiel - 3AW interview -16/8

Remove this Banner Ad

You wouldnt rather keep than that in the hope he gets back to form something resembling the start of his year, this year
He’s not going to get back to that form when he’s not playing in the middle. If we are keeping parish we don’t want him in the middle next year and we have better suited players to other roles. He’s just not that good anywhere else on the ground. I’d rather get rid of most of his money and bring in another guy who can play forward or half back.

So let's get this straight...

We have been moaning about a lack of quality midfielders and overall depth through the middle of the ground for the last, what, 20 years?

So now we have finally developed that depth and have multiple decent mids that look like they will have to compete to get in/stay in the team, we want to trade that depth (in the form of a perfectly professional, talented player we can afford to keep) away?

For what? Late 2nd or 3 Rd round pick?

This ******* fan base, I tell ya
We won’t lose depth if we lose shiel. We likely pick up another younger mid this off season. Or a forward or back who can play part time mid. What’s the point of having shiel on the list if he’s no longer in our midfield plans, to be a bit part player. Yeh nah I’d rather get his money off the books.

I’d take almost nothing. A 3rd rounder
No chance I am taking just a third round .
I can see the theory in your thinking. We have a few options now and with Perkins showing some aptitude in playing more of a blocking midfielder who can do a bit around the ground the set up looks a bit more balanced. I still think we need to get something of some use. Third round this year is as useful as **** on a bull. I know it is more about clearing space but I still think given his salary situation will no longer be top end we could most likely get a future second round for him. At least then we clear a space but also have something in the top 40 next year.

So let's get this straight...

We have been moaning about a lack of quality midfielders and overall depth through the middle of the ground for the last, what, 20 years?

So now we have finally developed that depth and have multiple decent mids that look like they will have to compete to get in/stay in the team, we want to trade that depth (in the form of a perfectly professional, talented player we can afford to keep) away?

For what? Late 2nd or 3 Rd round pick?

This ******* fan base, I tell ya
Is Shiel happy being depth, though? He's too good to run around in the VFL waiting for an injury, but not good enough that we should be hampering the development of our younger mids to play him in his preferred role.

I said earlier in the thread that Shiel probably needs to find a secondary position if he wants to stay in the team. He's played forward a bit this year, but is he really suited for that position? Seems more like trying to squeeze a player into a role for the sake of keeping him in the 22 as opposed to him being the best player for it. He could maybe do what Jack Macrae is doing at the Dogs right now, which is playing more half forward to allow Bont/Libba/Treloar/Daniel to get the CBA time they need, but Shiel doesn't have Macrae's skills or finesse.

Shiel is a best 22 player when he's healthy and firing, but where exactly does he fit into the team going forward?

Last edited:
He’s not going to get back to that form when he’s not playing in the middle. If we are keeping parish we don’t want him in the middle next year and we have better suited players to other roles. He’s just not that good anywhere else on the ground. I’d rather get rid of most of his money and bring in another guy who can play forward or half back.
I would suggest his form before he did has calf this year proved he was able to actually play forward / midfield which he was doing and playing around 75% game time.

I would suggest his form before he did has calf this year proved he was able to actually play forward / midfield which he was doing and playing around 75% game time.
Yeh his form early was great, some of his best footy he’s play for the club! Kicking goals and confident inside 50. But we are here now and are young mids have gone strength to strength with time in the middle, with tsatas still to come. Hobbs and caldwell should never be out of the midfield rotation again. They’re the players who are going to drive us to our window, is shiel happy being a bits part player. I think he’d rather go play full time mid somewhere else. I’d rather his money go to someone else we can get in who is younger and can play a role in the back or forward line, say a lachie ash.

Unless we were under salary cap pressure then you wouldn't trade him out

Keep him as depth. If he doesn't like it, he can seek a trade elsewhere or learn how to play a new role.

He's also described as being very professional and hard-working at training, so can't envisage him letting himself go as he enters the final year of his contract.

Probably free up $300k+ if we re-sign him.

Is Shiel happy being depth, though? He's too good to run around in the VFL waiting for an injury, but not good enough that we should be hampering the development of our younger mids to play him in his preferred role.

I said earlier in the thread that Shiel probably needs to find a secondary position if he wants to stay in the team. He's played forward a bit this year, but is he really suited for that position? Seems more like trying to squeeze a player into a role for the sake of keeping him in the 22 as opposed to him being the best player for it. He could maybe do what Jack Macrae is doing at the Dogs right now, which is playing more half forward to allow Bont/Libba/Treloar/Daniel to get the CBA time they need, but Shiel doesn't have Macrae's skills or finesse.

Shiel is a best 22 player when he's healthy and firing, but where exactly does he fit into the team going forward?
It’s not that he has “depth” tattooed on his forehead so much as that we have enough players now that we seem able to cover any injuries that arise.

While he’s currently the one with the injury, by the time he’s fit enough to play, someone else will have an injury, or a form slump, or a rest…

On the off chance that everyone is in the 22, Caldwell and Hobbs are quite capable as “small forwards” in the sense of a Snelling type player that goes everywhere except defence and their main job is pressure and tackling. Caldwell is also a good kick with goal sense. They can rotate through the on-ball division with Shiel and Parish, who can Parish and Shiel also drop back into the hole if needed. Merrett also goes to HBF, HFF, Wing. Stringer stays forward more.

Altogether it’s Snelling, or maybe Guelfi, that gets dropped.

And if Shiel is now having to “find a secondary position”, then surely it would be beneficial for our young mids’ development to add a string to their bow now in the interests of career longevity?

As ive been saying for a long time

60% TOG onballer, in the Daniel Kerr mould where he really uses his explosiveness

Both Caldwell, Hobbs are capable and good across half forward

Zac Merrett and Parish can even play their a tad more. Perkins doesnt necessarily need to be onball yet. Im glad hes had a look and playing that big defensive mid ok and we got a look. I already have much more confidence of him being a future big mid now

Hobbs/Perkins/Stringer 100% CBAs
Shiel 60%
Zerrett 70%
Parish 70% = 300%

Should be the go for us and there is room to do that

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still managing foot soreness, want him to get 100% right
Midfielder Dylan Shiel is still managing foot soreness which prevented him from playing in any grade last weekend.

After being the AFL substitute in rounds 16 and 17, Shiel may need more time to rectify his foot complaint.

“Dyl’s still battling some soreness and he hasn’t been quite right in recent weeks,” McPherson said.

“As Brad alluded to in his presser, we want Dyl to feel 100 per cent right. Until he can get through training uninhibited, we won’t be pushing him out there to play – we’ll give him the time he needs to get this right.”

For me I think Sheils best position on this team is Wing. He’s fast, and strong which makes up for his lack of size.

You’d also expect his disposal to be at its upper limits due to extra time/space.

Would be happy with him sticking around as depth even if he’s too good for that and it’s just unfortunate that Essendon have too many other small players

Given his productivity I’d want a first round pick back for him in any trade (with Essendon paying the remainder of his salary)

Though with the immense benefits of Father Sons as a way to get talent I’m inclined to try and keep any player who can get to that 100 game mark across the line.

I also think only 1 of Hobbs, Caldwell and Parish get primary mid time next to Merrett so the others will need a secondary position.

For me I think Sheils best position on this team is Wing. He’s fast, and strong which makes up for his lack of size.

You’d also expect his disposal to be at its upper limits due to extra time/space.

Would be happy with him sticking around as depth even if he’s too good for that and it’s just unfortunate that Essendon have too many other small players

Given his productivity I’d want a first round pick back for him in any trade (with Essendon paying the remainder of his salary)

Though with the immense benefits of Father Sons as a way to get talent I’m inclined to try and keep any player who can get to that 100 game mark across the line.

I also think only 1 of Hobbs, Caldwell and Parish get primary mid time next to Merrett so the others will need a secondary position.
He’s not fast without the ball and he’s not good at being an extra marking number in attack or defense.

Shiel's best quality is the fact that he's an elite ball winner with a burst of speed. That's inside midfield to a tee.

I doubt he can resist chasing the footy from the wing.

Doing some sort of training...

Was on the Ch7 news tonight…he’s doing Ballet to try and get better and he has his new sneaker DS09 that looks pretty cool

the simpsons ballet GIF

He better come back through the vfl
Has to

Im not sure of the need to play him much more if we lose to Sydney on the weekend

Get him right for the following year

A win and relativily injury free then he doesnt come back the following week anyway and we dont risk hom the week after vs North which also would come off a win meaning less chance of changes

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player # 9: Dylan Shiel - 3AW interview -16/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Back