AFL Player # 9: Dylan Shiel - 3AW interview -16/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Running following foot injury, hoping to play again in 2023
Listed as test ahead of GWS game in R23
Listed as test:

GM of Performance Daniel McPherson said all players must get through main training without issue to be considered for selection.

“We’re really pleased [they] are all close to a return, and provided they have a good week, we expect they’ll be pushing to be available for selection,” McPherson said.

“Once we get through main training, we’ll be better placed to make a call on whether or not each of them is ready to go.”

Every now and then I think about that time I was out at the Hanger and Dylan came over to pick up a ball near the boundary and he said hello to me.

I was half way through saying G’day back to him and my mind decided to switch and say “Hi” so I just ended up saying “Guy”

Awkward Bye Bye GIF

Every now and then I think about that time I was out at the Hanger and Dylan came over to pick up a ball near the boundary and he said hello to me.

I was half way through saying G’day back to him and my mind decided to switch and say “Hi” so I just ended up saying “Guy”

Awkward Bye Bye GIF

Reminds me of the training session before the 01 GF. A friend and I were waiting for players to sign stuff. Big crowds around the big names. A tall skinny bloke slinked out the back with no one approaching him. I asked my friend who that was. "Thats David Hille" he said. Hille heard his name and turned around and said "yes?" my friend, 15 at the time mind you, just said "nothing, wasn't talking to you". "Oh" a dejected Hille said, walking off

Animated GIF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If he stays Hob's midfield time will be reduced. Hard decision time.
If he stays he will most likely be playing more forward like he was early this year .

If he stays he will most likely be playing more forward like he was early this year .
Is it just my memory, or was he going ok in that role? Looking at his goal tally suggests otherwise but something is telling me he was better than expected there. I can't recall when or why he may have been shifted out based on injuries in the team etc.

Is it just my memory, or was he going ok in that role? Looking at his goal tally suggests otherwise but something is telling me he was better than expected there. I can't recall when or why he may have been shifted out based on injuries in the team etc.
Okay. Not lighting it up but doing enough 😎

A more dynamic Snelling basically from memory wasn't he? That high half-forward / midfield player

Could we get something half decent for him if we shifted him along with paying a mighty portion of his salary? Seems like he'll be pushed out of the midfield which is by far his 1 wood and he's not going to be around for anything we may or may not do in the next 5 years. Would a contender want him or has the shine worn off him by now?

Could we get something half decent for him if we shifted him along with paying a mighty portion of his salary? Seems like he'll be pushed out of the midfield which is by far his 1 wood and he's not going to be around for anything we may or may not do in the next 5 years. Would a contender want him or has the shine worn off him by now?
I think Melbourne are a good fit so they can use Tracc fwd more

Gawn Oliver Viney Shiel at the centre bounce is pretty good
Similarly, the Pies & Saints i could see getting some value out of him.

i'm not sure we'd get much for him would we? If he wanted to if almost take what you could get.

So with Parish signing on, do people want to shop Shiel or keep him?
We could see if he's happy to move, and if someone's happy to take him, maybe even pay part of his salary. We probably wouldn't get much, but it would free up a list spot. Don't think it'd be bad if he moved on because we have enough that's similar in midfield and forward.

If you could get a second round pick and pay some of his wage you would have to consider it . With Parish staying we would be better off with either a young bloke or another cheap Setterfield type .

If he stays Hob's midfield time will be reduced. Hard decision time.
Okay. Not lighting it up but doing enough 😎
Only if everyone is healthy...

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player # 9: Dylan Shiel - 3AW interview -16/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Back