AFL Player # 9: Dylan Shiel - 3AW interview -16/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Time to move on was the season after Daniher & Saad left, but better late than never. It was a mistake from both Essendon and Shiel to not have a mature discussion during 2021 and do a trade then, but hopefully we can get a minor draft pick or something

At that stage he had 4 years left at big money, coming off his worst year, in which he was mostly injured.

I’m not sure anyone would’ve taken him at the time

Would be so much more tolerable if the two players you mentioned were actually showing signs of becoming AFL quality players and practically forcing Shiel into the background. I really had high hopes that our understudy midfielders would be ready to fly by the end of this season but they remain underwhelmingly VFL stars only.

lol how the **** has tsatas not been flying in the vfl? he outplayed shiel when they were in the vfl together and has done nothing but dominate since shiel went up to the senior team. 33 touches and 8.5 clearance per game since he last played with shiel when he had a 38 and 11 game.

it's like you're penalizing tsatas for not being able rip 30+ possies and 10 clearances from the wing or while wearing the sub vest.

lol how the **** has tsatas not been flying in the vfl? he outplayed shiel when they were in the vfl together and has done nothing but dominate since shiel went up to the senior team. 33 touches and 8.5 clearance per game since he last played with shiel when he had a 38 and 11 game.

it's like you're penalizing tsatas for not being able rip 30+ possies and 10 clearances from the wing or while wearing the sub vest.
The reason Tsatas isn’t playing AFL is purely physical.

He’s an inside mid and would be getting beaten up inside by fully developed AFL players with no protection. Sam Durham is currently our biggest mid and he’s not that big.

In the VFL Tsatas isn’t as outmatched physically and has Setters there as a bodyguard.

He’s only 19. Will play AFL next season as a mid and should be good

‘Underwhelmingly VFL stars only’, means they’ve been starring at VFL level which is underwhelming because it would be nice if they were able to translate that at AFL level but haven’t. I know the reasons for Tsatas not reaching his VFL level but it doesn’t make it any less underwhelming.

I never said he wasn’t flying at VFL level. I didn’t say they were underwhelming in the VFL.

You guys are the epitome of the shit Essendon fans in the crowd that boo their own, groan and throw scarves on the ground like toddlers. Why would anyone wanna play for us??

Any chance of backing one of our players in? He's been far from our worst, probably in our top handful since he's come back. Plenty of other players not pulling their weight before him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure this is great news for Hobbs and/or Tsatas
Maybe. Maybe not.Depends on injury. No one predicted Sam Durham would be our best midfielder.
In many ways Hobbs has basically fallen behind Caldwell and Durham. It is not really Shiel that keeps him out of the side.
Tsatas is the guy that would be hindered by Shiel staying and also Parish on the list.

Last edited:
You guys are the epitome of the shit Essendon fans in the crowd that boo their own, groan and throw scarves on the ground like toddlers. Why would anyone wanna play for us??

Any chance of backing one of our players in? He's been far from our worst, probably in our top handful since he's come back. Plenty of other players not pulling their weight before him

Alright - No question, he's been far from our worst. He's far exceeded the expectations coming in to 2024 for me anyway.

I'm taking the long-game view here on Shiel. I'd prefer to cash in on a guy who'll be 32 next year, has had injuries in recent years, won't be a part of our next flag tilt and allowing those games and roles to go to Tsatas/Hobbs etc. If that makes me a shit Essendon fan, sure mate.

Alright - No question, he's been far from our worst. He's far exceeded the expectations coming in to 2024 for me anyway.

I'm taking the long-game view here on Shiel. I'd prefer to cash in on a guy who'll be 32 next year, has had injuries in recent years, won't be a part of our next flag tilt and allowing those games and roles to go to Tsatas/Hobbs etc. If that makes me a shit Essendon fan, sure mate.
I would let him go too but I wonder if the reasoning is there is not anyone he wants to go to. On top of that you rarely see a club force someone out via trade . If he wants to stay the only way he goes is if we delist him and pay out his contract.

I would let him go too but I wonder if the reasoning is there is not anyone he wants to go to. On top of that you rarely see a club force someone out via trade . If he wants to stay the only way he goes is if we delist him and pay out his contract.

Clubs can try to force their hand (e.g. Playing VFL only etc) but I agree, he would have to come to that decision. To me, he adds far more value to a Geelong, Carlton etc. than he does to us.

If it came to delist or retain, I'd retain, but if all were equal between him or a younger player going into Rd 1 next year, I'd play the younger player every time.

Tell him you'll only offer him 1-year deals from here, and if he can find 2 (or 3) elsewhere we'd be happy to facilitate that for him.

Maybe. Maybe not.Depends on injury. No one predicted Sam Durham would be our best midfielder.
In many ways Hobbs has basically fallen behind Caldwell and Durham. It is not really Shiel that keeps him out of the side.
Tsatas is the guy that would be hindered by Shiel staying and also Parish on the list.

That’s true.

It’s a good problem to have in some ways - and in others perhaps not so. I don’t think you can have Tsatas play VFL again next year, can you?

He has a year to go on his contract, i.e. contracted to Essendon for 2025.
This fact does seem to be lost on a few. The only way he goes out is if he demands a trade which we agree to facilitate, or if he agrees to a trade in order to facilitate another trade we've got in the works.

It was 'refreshing' to hear him talk about interest from St Kilda, both this and last year, so openly I will admit.
If he chooses to nominate them then we simply do what we can to facilitate that move and get the best deal possible.

IMO we need him, but if he chooses to go I won't be gutted.

it sounds like Dylan Shiel will do what’s best for Dylan and the Shields

That’s true.

It’s a good problem to have in some ways - and in others perhaps not so. I don’t think you can have Tsatas play VFL again next year, can you?
No, Tsatas is definitely in the AFL midfield rotation from round 1. They spent the year on the slow build which was the right call but there is no reason to hold him back now

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player # 9: Dylan Shiel - 3AW interview -16/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Back