AFL Player # 9: Dylan Shiel - 3AW interview -16/8

Remove this Banner Ad

He's a way better player than Darcy Parish. I'd happily move on both, but if I could choose to lose one it would be Darcy.

That’s true.

It’s a good problem to have in some ways - and in others perhaps not so. I don’t think you can have Tsatas play VFL again next year, can you?
If he does then he will be keen to get out the door.

No, Tsatas is definitely in the AFL midfield rotation from round 1. They spent the year on the slow build which was the right call but there is no reason to hold him back now

Who’s he playing ahead of though..? I think something’s got to give.

Merrett, Parish, Shiel, Durham, Caldwell, Tsatas, Hobbs (Perkins)

At full strength, I think that’s one or two too many

No, Tsatas is definitely in the AFL midfield rotation from round 1. They spent the year on the slow build which was the right call but there is no reason to hold him back now
I can think of two.
Will the modification to his kicking game stand up at AFL level where he will have less time and space.
Will he play with a bit more physicality .

Definition of a lemon trade on both sides...I really wanted him to work out for us and was close to Brownlow favourite until he was suspended in 2020 and then injuries ruined his time at the club and was plying that mid/forward role really well until injury last year.

Whatever we get for him gets eaten up by Kako, do we ask for future picks instead?

Definition of a lemon trade on both sides...I really wanted him to work out for us and was close to Brownlow favourite until he was suspended in 2020 and then injuries ruined his time at the club and was plying that mid/forward role really well until injury last year.

Whatever we get for him gets eaten up by Kako, do we ask for future picks instead?
Player swap for me. Or we get points, not as if we have heaps.

Can’t access the Age… but interesting headline… or it would be if it explained why…

View attachment 2094655

Dylan Shiel won’t be a Saint in 2025

St Kilda will not pursue contracted Bombers midfielder Dylan Shiel in this year’s trade period with the club taking a long-term approach to their list build, according to sources familiar with the Saints’ approach.
Although their midfield has been the source of frustration at times in 2024, with opponents getting hold of them at centre clearances and stoppages in some games, they are determined to use draft picks to bring in and develop talent.
[PLAYERCARD]Dylan Shiel[/PLAYERCARD] (right) will not be at St Kilda next year.

Dylan Shiel (right) will not be at St Kilda next year.CREDIT: GETTY IMAGES

The Saints already have emerging players such as Darcy Wilson, Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera, Mitch Owens, Marcus Windhager and Mattaes Phillipou.
They had pick five in their hands until Jack Higgins’ miracle goal against the Blues moved them two spots up the ladder, meaning they have pick seven (or eight), depending on where the bid for Lions’ father-son Levi Ashcroft lands, in this year’s draft.

They are also waiting on Josh Battle to tell them whether he wants to continue with the club or accept an offer to join the Hawks, with the 25-year-old to take a break before finalising his decision.
If Battle leaves, the club could have two top-10 picks in a strong draft, depending on the level of compensation they receive, which would give them flexibility to potentially chase a player or add two quality youngsters to their emerging list via the draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Debatable. Macrae has premiership winning experience and is a year younger.
Shiel is a better contested player, quicker and more damaging. Mitch Morton is also a premiership player, does that make himma better player also?

However I wouldn't be surprised if the Dogs have a dip at Shiel with Macrae and Smith going

Shiel is a better contested player, quicker and more damaging. Mitch Morton is also a premiership player, does that make himma better player also?

However I wouldn't be surprised if the Dogs have a dip at Shiel with Macrae and Smith going
It would be an interesting poll. Macrae is a triple All-Australian, with Shiel having that honour once.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player # 9: Dylan Shiel - 3AW interview -16/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Back