Player Watch #9: Luke Davies-Uniacke [Part II] - [C7/J.Ralph] LDU declares he wants to be a NM player for life; '24 SBM - congrats LDU

Remove this Banner Ad

While its good to have different opinions on this, I have absolutely no doubt that Luke will be our best player since Wayne. I know we've had some great players in the last twenty odd years but Luke will show people this year how good he can be. As I said in one of the posts late last year, I badly wanted Luke so much at the Draft but thought we're not going to get him, then fate or whatever you believe in had something to say about that.

Again I will state I think Luke can not only be a champion player for us but be the best midfielder in the AFL. I don't make this call lightly as I think we all know what he's up against, and I know some think he can be very good, I've gone a step further and like a couple of posters on here, think he will be the benchmark in years to come.
North Melbourne Afl GIF by NMFCOfficial
He's getting better and better, when he's not playing with niggling injuries he's showing even the doubters what he can do when he's fit! Watch him play, that arrogance that the great players have, he's starting to believe, sometimes will have two to three players hanging off him but he'll get the handball away.

The fact that several posters not only doubted his ability but couldn't care if he left has got to be one of the most mind blowing things I've read, it's good to have different opinions but if you have watched this young man from the start {since we drafted him} to now, then the only way you could possibly say the silly things I've seen is that all your faith is gone and that your bitter with the football world. The good news is that hope is reaching out to all the doubters, come and join us as one, and be cleansed of all the doubt, negativeness and emptyness!

Jump on Luke's back and the rest of the boys, because as a group/ team these boys are going to be bloody good and as I've said before, your only seeing glimpses of it, while a few have known this is coming, the rest are still unsure, I get the feeling they will still say things like "one more game and I'm in" or "for the rest of the year", they don't want to commit in fear of heartbreak and disappointment, don't be afraid, take a chance because these boys when it all hits home, are going to be the benchmark and they need us all!

Last edited:
Was he a saints supporter as a kid?
No he wasn't. The only link for LDU with that club was some silly theory that training at Moorabbin would make it easier to get to the Peninsula to go surfing. The fact that he has a second house in Rye close by his mum completely debunked that nonsense.

He's getting better and better, when he's not playing with niggling injuries he's showing even the doubters what he can do when he's fit! Watch him play, that arrogance that the great players have, he's starting to believe, sometimes will have two to three players hanging off him but he'll get the handball away.

The fact that several posters not only doubted his ability but couldn't care if he left has got to be one of the most mind blowing things I've read, it's good to have different opinions but if you have watched this young man from the start {since we drafted him} to now, then the only way you could possibly say the silly things I've seen is that all your faith is gone and that your bitter with the football world. The good news is that hope is reaching out to all the doubters, come and join us as one, and be cleansed of all the doubt, negativeness and emptyness!
I've gotta tell you it's tempting to go back a couple of months and pull out a few very questionable assessments of Luke. Glad everyone's back on board now. 👍

I've gotta tell you it's tempting to go back a couple of months and pull out a few very questionable assessments of Luke. Glad everyone's back on board now. 👍
I’ll put my hand up and say I was one of them and I’m happy for anyone on here to go ‘hindsight hunting’ and dig up my posts because I’ll stand by them 💯

As the midfield General some of his defensive efforts at that time were absolutely piss weak and our midfield was getting chopped up because of it. The occasional run down tackle was papering over the cracks, meanwhile an 18 year kid with 15 games under his belt was trying to cover the whole midfields defensive deficiencies on his own.

Goes without saying his efforts defensively since the bye have been exceptional, maybe he (and everyone else) got some honest feedback during the break because our pressure metrics are completely different now, which has the whole league noticing.

If this is the new norm, well then he deserves to be one of the highest paid players in the league because I’ve always said offensively he’s an out-n-out freak, but, defence wins flags and I truly hope the three step ‘pressure act’ is gone forever.

Jump on Luke's back and the rest of the boys, because as a group/ team these boys are going to be bloody good and as I've said before, your only seeing glimpses of it, while a few have known this is coming, the rest are still unsure, I get the feeling they will still say things like "one more game and I'm in" or "for the rest of the year", they don't want to commit in fear of heartbreak and disappointment, don't be afraid, take a chance because these boys when it all hits home, are going to be the benchmark and they need us all!

I do agree with the arrogance thing at times. The stuff the true greats have. That said, to me he exhibits it with power and untackleability. Sometimes he swoops on a ground ball and will slow to almost standstill as he looks at his opponent knowing that they simply can’t tackle him and stop him disposing of the footy.

But like the rest of the team he doesn’t have a winners mindset. That’s something that he and his mates are going to have to earn. But it will be a hell of a lot of aside for the team to learn how to win with him in the guts.

I’m sitting in the Emergency ward at the Austin hospital after crashing my bicycle this afternoon . I’ve had an x ray and been told I have dislocated my shoulder feeling very sad for myself. My daughter tells me Georgie boy is out of the bulldogs game. Feeling more miserable so I go to big footy to get the news on George and bingo I check the LDU thread and hear this awesome news. It’s cartwheels along Burgundy Street Heidelberg and all the way home. So excited by this, thanks Lukey your loyalty will be repaid in Brownlows and Premiership medallions👍

Get well soon Jaidyn 🚲 👍

As for LDU, his interview with Cleary lines up with what he’s been saying to family and friends, as was mentioned here long ago.

May as well begin erecting the statue now.

It was so bad.

I'd argue this kid is the best player we've had debut since Brent Harvey in 1996. It's wild some of the reactions we hear about him given the level of spuds we've had on our list over the last few years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

LDU re-signing with this great club would be a serious coup as it would make others want to stay. Arguably the most important signature we’ve had to get in a long time! Hearing commitment from the horses mouth feels great.

I assume your username is a crack at Colby McKercher

Luke Davies-Uniacke is set to turn his back on free agency. Picture: Dylan Burns/AFL Photos via Getty Images.

What a beautiful, beautiful season we are having.

This bloke says he wants to be a one-club player. Because others have done the same. Others whom we also love.

LDU, you have made us all very happy. The club we love: you have said that you love it too. Winning is not the only thing, and premierships are not the only thing. It's the journey as much as the destination.

You have chosen to stay with us, and we wouldn't trade that for all the tea in China.

The whole club will rise from here. You are a shinboner for life. You were anyway but you are even more so now. You have joined the other shinboners at the start of a brand new era. A new dawn for our club. A new dawn that promises hope, excitement, and much enjoyment as we watch you and your brothers run out onto the field in blue and white.

We will shout that we are blessed in our native land, North Melbourne, and we are blessed because we have you, and Harry, and Jy, and Nick, and Tristan, and Charlie and George, and so many others who will follow in your footsteps and align with us: the Kangaroo faithful. Much joy is to follow.

Yours is the most significant commitment we have had in many years. We thank you for making it. We wish you all the best, and we will be right behind you and your fellow shinboners, through the hard times and the good. More good now, from here onwards, will surely follow.

Thank you.

I was going to try and write something profound to express the joy I felt at Luke's commitment to the club we love. But TBH I couldn't have said it better than this...

His manager is SEETHING right now.

❤️‍🔥LDU
Who knows how things pan out.

He clearly wants to stay but will have to be paid ballpark minus a bit to build a premiership team. Only real way to know whats ballpark is to test the waters.

Lets say he gets 2 offers, 1 for 1.5 over 7 and another for 1.3 over 8. To figure ballpark, it would be fair to think market value is roughly 1.4m over 7 year min. From there they might feel 1.25m over 8 gets it done.

But heres the kicker, now he's said he'd prefer to stay do you think offers go away or go higher? Probably a fair chance clubs that really want him are now thinking, 'damn its not enough to move him, what more can we offer?'

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #9: Luke Davies-Uniacke [Part II] - [C7/J.Ralph] LDU declares he wants to be a NM player for life; '24 SBM - congrats LDU

Remove this Banner Ad

Back