Senior 9. Patrick Cripps - 2024 Brownlow Medallist - Dual Winner - Captain Colossus

Remove this Banner Ad

No, they're talking of him playing seniors at some stage this year after showing plenty in pre season games.
He was part of that big U18 WA mid pack but SA's Dunstan towelled them in the final.

James Sellar got towelled up a lot. The similarities are alarming....

That may not be possible if he's pulled a hamstring.

Limped off supported by two trainers and straight to the rooms. May have been severe cramps but it didn't look good.

Worst part was that it happened in the final 30 seconds of the game.
He was cramping badly Harks. Went straight to ground as soon as the siren went & grabbed his boot to try & relieve it, but was obviously done & dusted.

Its not even the quantity - but the quality of ball use was great. Clearance machine, and definately had a better game than any other mid.

I hope we leave Cripps in the VFL. At the moment, he isn't fit enough to come into a squad that doesn't man up. You can't have him running around and chasing for his more experienced players.
Was hoping the same thing. Reading twitter comments saying he was out on his feet by the 1st quarter tells me he isn't quite ready. Fitness based.

Agree! Can't wait to see this guy at AFL level but he needs to get that match fitness up before he's unleashed.
In a few years this guy is going to be a physical monster and to top it off actually has football smarts and skill, most of our big inside mids lack that, he has it and is bigger... A brute inside mid with the brain and awareness to dish it off to guys like murph, thomas, gibbs.
Exactly the type of player youre stoked about having for 10+ years.
Hopefully lives up to his potential.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cripppaaaaa.

Loved what he did today. Inside, outside - just great to watch.

But what I loved most was his attitude. First game but still led from the front. After he kicked the goal in the 4th he really tried to pump the boys up. Great to see.

I'd say he'd be pretty fit if he can gather 34 possessions and finish the last quarter as strongly as he did. He's looked in terrific shape in the off season. Where did this theory come that he lacks fittness?

Us Carlton supporters aren't used to seeing players come straight out of the draft and straight into the AFL side. Our drafting hasn't been good enough for so long. Plenty of teams around playing first year players from the get go and having success. The AFL is where he belongs and who cares if he has some poor games here and there, our team's pretty ordinary, we're going to have poor games any way. Hell we might actually improve if we play the young players,no chance of improving if we don't.

Hate our attitude towards young players. They don't all need to be played in the VFL for a while.

I'd say he'd be pretty fit if he can gather 34 possessions and finish the last quarter as strongly as he did. He's looked in terrific shape in the off season. Where did this theory come that he lacks fittness?

Us Carlton supporters aren't used to seeing players come straight out of the draft and straight into the AFL side. Our drafting hasn't been good enough for so long. Plenty of teams around playing first year players from the get go and having success. The AFL is where he belongs and who cares if he has some poor games here and there, our team's pretty ordinary, we're going to have poor games any way. Hell we might actually improve if we play the young players,no chance of improving if we don't.

Hate our attitude towards young players. They don't all need to be played in the VFL for a while.
He has come from a pretty low fitness base compared to other draftees.

WEAKNESSES
Cripps is not a big runner, and only managed 13.2 in the beep test at this month's NAB AFL Draft Combine. That's something to build on, but will probably come as he grows more familiar with his size and strength. With greater spread from a contest, it will allow him to pick up a few more uncontested possessions and run with the ball more.

Don't forget there's a big difference between VFL and AFL, especially with the way our team is having to chase at the moment. I'd rather we give him another couple of solid hitouts in the reserves.

He has come from a pretty low fitness base compared to other draftees.

Don't forget there's a big difference between VFL and AFL, especially with the way our team is having to chase at the moment. I'd rather we give him another couple of solid hitouts in the reserves.

That was then, that's bloody ages ago, before this preseason, the guy just slaughtered it in the VFL, you only have to look at him, he's fit, he's probably running 14or 15's in the beep (13 is not bad from a kid out of footy season). Besides the beep test is not the be all and end all, some players have a super short recovery time (Judd) and work more in bursts than just running constantly all day.

Did you see the other night? Half our midfield couldn't run. Doubt Cripps would be much worse than Robinson etc. Would fumble a lot less too.

This "he's not ready" for AFL is creating a toxic environment at our club. Some players aren't, Cripps is.

That was then, that's bloody ages ago, before this preseason, the guy just slaughtered it in the VFL, you only have to look at him, he's fit, he's probably running 14or 15's in the beep (13 is not bad from a kid out of footy season). Besides the beep test is not the be all and end all, some players have a super short recovery time (Judd) and work more in bursts than just running constantly all day.

Did you see the other night? Half our midfield couldn't run. Doubt Cripps would be much worse than Robinson etc. Would fumble a lot less too.

This "he's not ready" for AFL is creating a toxic environment at our club. Some players aren't, Cripps is.

He broke is leg in 2012, grew about 20 cm in the last twelve months and by all reports was out on his feet at qtr time on the weekend. It's a great sign that he worked through it on the weekend, but it also says to me that he isn't quite ready for AFL level.

More than happy to be proven wrong, but after years of mis-managing players and potentially ruining them I'd prefer we remain a little patient on Patrick (the most exciting prospect we've had since Marc Murphy)

Remove this Banner Ad

Senior 9. Patrick Cripps - 2024 Brownlow Medallist - Dual Winner - Captain Colossus

Remove this Banner Ad

Back