pcara

Senior List
Apr 10, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
How many A graders do we now have and how many do we need to be a serious threat.
My list of A graders is
Delidio
Foley
Richo
Brown
Cousins?

How many A graders do we now have and how many do we need to be a serious threat.
My list of A graders is
Delidio
Foley
Richo
Brown
Cousins?
well we should be a threat with that many on our list......and in a couple of years we should have a few more...but then again richo and brown will be gone in a couple of years

It's not as simple as that. There isn't a set number of 'A Graders' you need, and there isnt a strict enough definition of what an A Grader is to use it as a ranking. You win a premiership if your team is good enough to win a premiership, not based on whether you have the exact right number of A Graders, or how good your 17th best player is.

It's not as simple as that. There isn't a set number of 'A Graders' you need, and there isnt a strict enough definition of what an A Grader is to use it as a ranking. You win a premiership if your team is good enough to win a premiership, not based on whether you have the exact right number of A Graders, or how good your 17th best player is.

agree but you do need some class also

I'm unsure as to where I said you didn't.

Basically my point is that people seem so consumed by the belief that we need a 22 that fills every need to perfection - correct number of 'A Graders', of midfielders, of KP's taller than 191cm etc. I haven't got a problem with aiming for perfection, but if anyone realistically believes we'll reach perfection, they're going to be let down.

This isn't a shot solely at this thread in particular by the way.

I'm unsure as to where I said you didn't.

Basically my point is that people seem so consumed by the belief that we need a 22 that fills every need to perfection - correct number of 'A Graders', of midfielders, of KP's taller than 191cm etc. I haven't got a problem with aiming for perfection, but if anyone realistically believes we'll reach perfection, they're going to be let down.

This isn't a shot solely at this thread in particular by the way.

Agreed...one only has to look at Sydney as an example. A briliantly coached team of average players who follow a gameplan and play to their strengths will go further than a team of 22 "A Graders" playing for themselves.

However, its nice to have a few stars to hang our hats on.

Current A Graders:

Richo
Foley
Deledio
Brown
Cousins

Players who have been A graders at some point during their career but are on the way out:

Johnson
Bowden

Players who will be A graders:

Cotchin
Thursfield
Riewoldt?

Players who have a shot at being an A grader:

Connors
Vickery

Agreed...one only has to look at Sydney as an example. A briliantly coached team of average players who follow a gameplan and play to their strengths will go further than a team of 22 "A Graders" playing for themselves.

However, its nice to have a few stars to hang our hats on.

Current A Graders:

Richo
Foley
Deledio
Brown
Cousins

Players who have been A graders at some point during their career but are on the way out:

Johnson
Bowden

Players who will be A graders:

Cotchin
Thursfield
Riewoldt?

Players who have a shot at being an A grader:

Connors
Vickery

What about the forgotten man.....

Cogs.

What about the forgotten man.....

Cogs.

Spot on!
i think Cogs is a real wild card us this year, if we him back to somewhere near his best were going to have one of the strongest midfield rotations in the league. Some people forget how good the guy was a couple of years back , he was basically our no1 inside mid, B&F winner and touted as future captain.
Def A grade in my book.

Guys, aren't we forgetting a few? Tuck was definetly in the top 3 midfielders in the comp coming towards the end of this season, Simmo has had a brilliant year taking into consideration what he went through last year with his lung condition, and one of the most underated players in the league (not at Richmond for obvious reasons) is our skipper Chris Newman!

For me Tuck is an "A Grader"

and Simmo and Newman are amongst the best in the league for their positions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Guys, aren't we forgetting a few? Tuck was definetly in the top 3 midfielders in the comp coming towards the end of this season, Simmo has had a brilliant year taking into consideration what he went through last year with his lung condition, and one of the most underated players in the league (not at Richmond for obvious reasons) is our skipper Chris Newman!

For me Tuck is an "A Grader"

and Simmo and Newman are amongst the best in the league for their positions.
yer thats true...tuck goes under the radar a bit doesnt he...but hes a great player

How many games will Cogs play this year?
And who will play more games Thomson or Hislop?
If he is fit he will play 15+ because he is a ball magnet. But thats a big if because he has the knee, the hammys and possibly the groin to worry about.

As for Thomson and Hislop, Thomson by a mile from what i've seen and from all reports. Thomson is probably on the borderline of our 22, hislop would be sit somewhere between 30-35th on our list.

If you are referring to A graders as elite players then most of you are overestimating our list.

Elite
Richo
Deledio

Used to be elite but not any more due to age or injury.
Brown
Cousins
Bowden
Coghlan

May become elite
Cotchin
Foley (not elite yet, based on this year's form)

Others like Tuck, Newman etc are good players but hardly elite.

We have lots of promising youngsters and Rance and Vickery may turn out to be elite but we haven't seen them play at senior level yet.

I think some of you guys are getting a bit carried away by the euphoria of the past week.

Tuck is a lot better than people give him credit for. He's the second best midfielder in a pretty useful midfield, and he's not that far off first. Deledio will pull away in his Brownlow winning 09 obviously though.

Too absolute. Lots of the best in and under players don't have elite kicking skills. Scotty West never had elite kicking skills, yet he seemed to come top 5 in every Brownlow count of his career.

Too absolute. Lots of the best in and under players don't have elite kicking skills. Scotty West never had elite kicking skills, yet he seemed to come top 5 in every Brownlow count of his career.
Fair point. Tuck's inside game isn't good enough to counteract this deficiency. I don't see him making the top 5 in the brownlow ever.

Remove this Banner Ad

A Graders

Remove this Banner Ad

Back