A-Leagues & Football Australia General Chat and News Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

No one is going to be able to catch the Glory this season I reckon. Building a good squad and Kenny Lowe is no mug as a manager.
If Csstro maintains the form he showed they could be top 3.

But I doubt it.

The Glory have had good squads for a while now but never do anything with them. This season is their best though, by far. Must make top 2 IMO.

The Glory have had good squads for a while now but never do anything with them. This season is their best though, by far. Must make top 2 IMO.

Reddy in goal is the only concern. Very strong everywhere else around the pitch. Castro's age and the injury prone Williams and Herd and their fitness could be the issue but I guess we have the depth to now cover the latter. Rostyn Griffiths is a huge signing.

Reddy in goal is the only concern. Very strong everywhere else around the pitch. Castro's age and the injury prone Williams and Herd and their fitness could be the issue but I guess we have the depth to now cover the latter. Rostyn Griffiths is a huge signing.
We can exclude Herd now since he's gone.

Pity that he seems like a really missed opportunity with constant injuries and next to no gametime anywhere.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Flog of the highest order, good luck to him.

If there was a Melbourne Derby GF, could it be at the MCG?

You'd think Etihad still, would depend on if the AFL want to budge.

The FFA had the MCG booked in case a Derby Grand Final eventuated last season when the FFA failed to book Etihad. That was on a short notice so you would think it wouldn't be difficult. Of course like hey shorty said it all depends what days the AFL have the venue booked I think last season it was only available on a Friday night the weekend of the GF. FFA would most likely still hold it at Etihad though, but I'm sure they'll be tempted to explore the idea.

Looks like it's finally happening

Tim Cahill signing a huge coup for Australian football and Socceroos star has eyes on another World Cup

David Davutovic
7 August, 2016

MELBOURNE City will announce the most significant signing in their short history, when they confirm Tim Cahill as their newest capture.
Cahill will be unveiled within 72 hours after they agreed one of the most lucrative deals in A-League history.
It’s understood that Cahill has agreed a multi-year, multimillion-dollar deal with Melbourne City in the vicinity of Alessandro Del Piero’s $3.5m-a-year contract with Sydney FC.

The Sunday Herald Sun’s pictures show Cahill completing a medical at New York City’s training base and chatting with megastars Frank Lampard, Andrea Pirlo and David Villa.
The announcement will come after months of negotiations, with initial discussions dating back to March ahead of the Socceroos’ World Cup qualifier against Jordan in Sydney.
Cahill is in Sydney but is expected to fly to Melbourne to be unveiled this week.
It’s a huge football and marketing coup for City, who have lived in Melbourne Victory’s shadow since joining the A-League in 2010.
While many will scoff at his wages and dub it an expensive marketing trick, it would be foolish to write Cahill off as a footballer.
Cahill may turn 37 in December, but he remains a vital member of Ange Postecoglou’s Socceroos squad and appears bound for Russia 2018.
The FFA announced a new guest player rule in June, for which FFA chief executive David Gallop and the board must get credit.
It may be nicknamed the ‘Cahill Rule’, but like the MLS’s Designated Player Rule introduced to lure David Beckham in 2007, it will pave the way for more stars to follow.
Former Uruguayan star Diego Forlan is being chased by several A-League clubs while former Dutch World Cup star Rafael van der Vaart is another that’s come on the radar.
FFA is understood to have set aside a $1m fund to subsidise guest players, with Cahill set to account for a chunk of that.
Cahill, who’s scored 47 goals in 91 Socceroos games, could form a deadly strike combination with A-League golden boot winner Bruno Fornaroli.
While Cahill has long been linked with hometown club Sydney FC, Melbourne City, with its vast resources and City Football Group’s experience with handling superstars, is best equipped to capitalise on the Cahill signing.
With Cahill and the Socceroos set to commence their decisive final phase of World Cup qualifying in September, City will carefully manage his training load and game-time.
Cahill’s return signifies another important milestone for the A-League and the timing is akin to Cahill’s trademark headers — impeccable.
It comes on the eve of negotiations on a new TV deal, with the current $40m-a-year contract expiring at the end of the season.
Cahill is Australian soccer’s most marketable commodity by a country mile and his ability to back it up on the pitch and stand up on the big occasion is unmatched.
https://sslcam.news.com.au/cam/authorise?channel=msite&url=http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/australian-soccer-superstar-tim-cahill-signs-mega-deal-with-aleague-club/news-story/1b19b869178764e6efcab770d9ed73fb?utm_content=SocialFlow&utm_campaign=EditorialSF&utm_source=HaraldSun&utm_medium=Facebook

That's a lot of money kinda doesn't sit well with me that the FFA will be helping out with the $$$ when it's clear that CFG out of all the A-League owner will be able to afford it. But whatever through whatever it takes to make old Timmy happy I guess. Also the article says Multi year deal! I thought the new 'Cahill Rule' was only for one year guest stints? Or have the FFA changed the rules again?

Davutovic/the Hun are reporting over the last 2 hours that Cahill's move to City will be announced in the next 72 hours. He's currently in New York doing his medical (it'd be a hell of a plot twist if he signs for New York City!)

They're also reporting its "in the vicinity of the $3.5m per season received by Del Piero"

If this is true, he's played the FFA like a fiddle. Firstly, I thought it was pretty widely known that ADP got somewhere between $2m-2.5m.

Secondly, I was told that the deal was nearly done before the Greece games - as I said at the time (based on a source I now believe to be pretty reliable), his pow wow with Gallop was the last step in him coming back, not the first. At the time I was told the number was low $2m.

So what it seems to me has happened is he's met with Gallop, he's talked about his "vi$ion", the FFA have created the marquee fund i.e. the Cahill fund... and he's played them like a fiddle to milk it dry.

I was one of few who took the long view on this. Despite City not needing financial help, I believed that he will benefit everyone - everyones gates v City will increase, media interest will increase, ratings will increase, and ultimately the tv $$$ will increase.

But this is bullshit. How is it that a man who has made more money from football than any other Australian being allowed to take money from the pocket of someone like Brett Holman?

How is he able to take money out of the pockets of parents who still pay the FFA a fee every year their kid plays football?

The deal was nearly done with Australia's wealthiest club. Its disgusting how much he's also been able to drain from the FFA for no other reason than he can.

edit: ugh, beat me to it giggler99 ! (I don't think BF rules allow a c+p of a full article... but then, I don't think any mods ever visit this sub forum anyway!)

Davutovic/the Hun are reporting over the last 2 hours that Cahill's move to City will be announced in the next 72 hours. He's currently in New York doing his medical (it'd be a hell of a plot twist if he signs for New York City!)

They're also reporting its "in the vicinity of the $3.5m per season received by Del Piero"

If this is true, he's played the FFA like a fiddle. Firstly, I thought it was pretty widely known that ADP got somewhere between $2m-2.5m.

Secondly, I was told that the deal was nearly done before the Greece games - as I said at the time (based on a source I now believe to be pretty reliable), his pow wow with Gallop was the last step in him coming back, not the first. At the time I was told the number was low $2m.

So what it seems to me has happened is he's met with Gallop, he's talked about his "vi$ion", the FFA have created the marquee fund i.e. the Cahill fund... and he's played them like a fiddle to milk it dry.

I was one of few who took the long view on this. Despite City not needing financial help, I believed that he will benefit everyone - everyones gates v City will increase, media interest will increase, ratings will increase, and ultimately the tv $$$ will increase.

But this is bullshit. How is it that a man who has made more money from football than any other Australian being allowed to take money from the pocket of someone like Brett Holman?

How is he able to take money out of the pockets of parents who still pay the FFA a fee every year their kid plays football?

The deal was nearly done with Australia's wealthiest club. Its disgusting how much he's also been able to drain from the FFA for no other reason than he can.

edit: ugh, beat me to it giggler99 ! (I don't think BF rules allow a c+p of a full article... but then, I don't think any mods ever visit this sub forum anyway!)

I only posted it because it's behind a paywall.

I agree with all you said mate it's bulshit! but I guess we have to accept it! like I said doesn't sit well with me that he's going to the club backed by the richest owners, some might say well City need the bums on seats need the exposure well sure they do but at the expense of changing the rules, rules that most likely only one club will be able to afford to use?
We don't even know the criteria to what constitutes this new guest rule or a list of player who are on it, or if the FFA are actively seeking players that fit the criteria of the rule and are trying to offer them to their clubs, which I highly doubt they are. It's more a case of only if the shoe fits, to increase the the A-Leagues media exposure, TV ratings and crowd numbers, which to me doesn't leave many world class players available atm or affordable, is Diego Forlan really on the list? Will he put bums on seats? will he increase TV rating? He can play football through but is that good enough for the FFA?

To be honest I don't think crowds and rating will increase significantly with Cahill, sure for the first few weeks or so but just like Kewell and Depiero it will stagnate.

Good luck to City through its an awesome coupe and better he be in Melbourne where he'll be treated right then in Sydney where the Sydney centric media will critic he's every move.

Last edited:
A more current example than Forlan - are we getting any help to pay for Troisi? If not (because we aren't), why not? Current Socceroo, scored the Asian Cup winning goal.

It'll be called "the Cahill rule" because it's only been implemented for Cahill - they've deliberately not provided guidelines to anyone so they can ambiguously say yes or no.

And to counter my own "long view" argument, ADP had no lasting impact - what makes them think Cahill will?

I don't really have a problem with a marquee fund - but it should be available for guys like Troisi or Holman. It shouldn't only be for a 37 year old who, to be frank, needed the A League even more than the A League needs him if his goal is to make it to Russia in 2 years.

A more current example than Forlan - are we getting any help to pay for Troisi? If not (because we aren't), why not? Current Socceroo, scored the Asian Cup winning goal.

It'll be called "the Cahill rule" because it's only been implemented for Cahill - they've deliberately not provided guidelines to anyone so they can ambiguously say yes or no.

And to counter my own "long view" argument, ADP had no lasting impact - what makes them think Cahill will?

I don't really have a problem with a marquee fund - but it should be available for guys like Troisi or Holman. It shouldn't only be for a 37 year old who, to be frank, needed the A League even more than the A League needs him if his goal is to make it to Russia in 2 years.

Oh but The vision mate it's all about the Cahill Football vision.
Drying every dollar out of the FFA's coffers by the looks of it lol

I do believe we have asked the FFA for funds in regards to a similar deal, I'd have a guess that it would be for a Holman type.

I will always love what Timmy has done in the green and gold (and Toffee blue) but this is ridiculous

The Victory and Roar both asked for help to get Holman to join their respective franchises, and were both told by the FFA that the marquee fund was expected to be exhausted (this was reported in Fairfax probably a month ago.)

Remove this Banner Ad

A-Leagues & Football Australia General Chat and News Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back