A Section A Section Amateur Football

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monkey, you know Sholls very well he tells me. Any chance you will pop into Coburg this week? No Lions in the finals.

Brian, How many clubs are you going to acssociate me with. Glad to see Mazenod are off the agenda. Lions?? I assume you mean i am associated with Collegains?? Hell no. I will be at the City Oval both days this weekend. Very exited to see who heads up to B-Grade for 08. Like you, tipping Camberwell in a canter (sshhh don't tell sausage he craves the underdog status!) and think Carey can win in a close one.
But as this is an A-Grade thread i will give a little preview of the Xavs vs OB.

Massive game. All the talk coming out of the beachboys is...how far!!! "We are too quick" "Knocked em off twice already this year" No respect being shown for the Xavs in September at the Wick. I think they will live to regret this and be punished by having to face Uni Blues in a Preliminary final. Xavs by plenty.

Brian, How many clubs are you going to acssociate me with. Glad to see Mazenod are off the agenda. Lions?? I assume you mean i am associated with Collegains?? Hell no. I will be at the City Oval both days this weekend. Very exited to see who heads up to B-Grade for 08. Like you, tipping Camberwell in a canter (sshhh don't tell sausage he craves the underdog status!) and think Carey can win in a close one.
But as this is an A-Grade thread i will give a little preview of the Xavs vs OB.

Massive game. All the talk coming out of the beachboys is...how far!!! "We are too quick" "Knocked em off twice already this year" No respect being shown for the Xavs in September at the Wick. I think they will live to regret this and be punished by having to face Uni Blues in a Preliminary final. Xavs by plenty.
Spoken like a true Old Xaverian Monkey.
I tipped UB to win the flag and think they will, although I would love to see the beach boys pull it out...still got me stuffed whether the standard of A has just fallen in a heap or if OB are actually a good team. The answer is somewhere in the middle, as OI, OB and Collegiens were all in the fight this year, weith much of the same stock from their B Section days, excepting Georgey Harros!

still got me stuffed whether the standard of A has just fallen in a heap or if OB are actually a good team. The answer is. . . !

We hear this lament every season. It's rubbish. The A Section flag is harder to win every year, as teams and clubs pull out all stops. Brighton is a very good team, as Haileybury were last year. Blues are brilliant on their day, yet Ivanhoe beat them twice. A full strength Collegians were on fire. Xavs have played in 14 of the last 15 finals' series, so they are the yardstick. But they have only won 2 of the last 6, with 2 losing GFs. That's not through a lack of quality on their part, but others rising to the occasion.

Spoken like a true Old Xaverian Monkey.
I tipped UB to win the flag and think they will, although I would love to see the beach boys pull it out...still got me stuffed whether the standard of A has just fallen in a heap or if OB are actually a good team. The answer is somewhere in the middle, as OI, OB and Collegiens were all in the fight this year, weith much of the same stock from their B Section days, excepting Georgey Harros!

you do realise that state players such as Fragicomo, McKeon and Heta have been added to that flag side... I think you will find OB are a genuinely good side... dont think the standard of A grade has dropped I dont think your getting to enough A grade games considering SKOBS play B grade :p

you do realise that state players such as Fragicomo, McKeon and Heta have been added to that flag side... I think you will find OB are a genuinely good side... dont think the standard of A grade has dropped I dont think your getting to enough A grade games considering SKOBS play B grade :p
Not saying the teams are no good, that would be an insult. What I am saying is that 10 years ago, the top A Section teams were talent laden and awesome, which showed when the VAFA stomped on powers like Vic Country etc. Nothing against Hetta but he isnt on the same page as Blood, Olive, Ramsden, McLaughlin or Seccul at their peak. The only McKeon I ever care to rate is ex Bernie Steve, who would quite readily kick a dozen at Toorak Park on stars like Brushfield.
The results generally and the few games I have seen suggest the standard is more of a lower A standard of those days, when NO teams in A were crap.
Our rep sides now couldn't beat an egg, which tells me the talent aint what it used to be.

Not saying the teams are no good, that would be an insult. What I am saying is that 10 years ago, the top A Section teams were talent laden and awesome, which showed when the VAFA stomped on powers like Vic Country etc. Nothing against Hetta but he isnt on the same page as Blood, Olive, Ramsden, McLaughlin or Seccul at their peak. The only McKeon I ever care to rate is ex Bernie Steve, who would quite readily kick a dozen at Toorak Park on stars like Brushfield.
The results generally and the few games I have seen suggest the standard is more of a lower A standard of those days, when NO teams in A were crap.
Our rep sides now couldn't beat an egg, which tells me the talent aint what it used to be.

The only thing that's dropped recently is the standard of this thread due to Brians attempts to drag the conversation back to his clubs glory days. A grade footy is as tough as ever. The standard of the competition in A and B is very high. If you have any doubt as to how good ammo footy is then I suggest you make a sojourn to box hill or elsternwick this weekend and report back. Just because St kevins are no longer as good as they used to be (were they ever?) doesn't mean the competition is deteriorating.

Brian, you've peddled this crap about the standard A Grade dropping for the last couple of years. The fact is that the Uni Blues/OH/OX sides that have shared the last four or five flags are the equal of any team in the last decade.

You're living in a dream world if you think Steve McKeon was "readily kicking a dozen" at any ground, let alone Toorak Park.

From memory the Vic Country boys have had the wood over the Ammos in the Senior Rep Game (the only Rep game that really counts) since the mid-90's, including a frightful touch up one day down at EP. This year's result is the first time the VAFA has been competitive since '01. This indicates diddly squat about the overall standard of the comp mind you, but to say we ever "stomped" on the Vic Country side is a joke.

By the way the only bloke not on the same page as the ruckmen you've listed is your mate Olive.

Brian, you've peddled this crap about the standard A Grade dropping for the last couple of years. The fact is that the Uni Blues/OH/OX sides that have shared the last four or five flags are the equal of any team in the last decade.

You're living in a dream world if you think Steve McKeon was "readily kicking a dozen" at any ground, let alone Toorak Park.
You dont know your football sunshine, if you di you would quite readily remember McKeon bagging 12 on a wet Toorak Park, I was there watching.
Uni Blues side is nowhere near itrs golry days, either is OX. If they were they would smash all comers.
You obviously havent seen much real A Section football.

The only thing that's dropped recently is the standard of this thread due to Brians attempts to drag the conversation back to his clubs glory days. A grade footy is as tough as ever. The standard of the competition in A and B is very high. If you have any doubt as to how good ammo footy is then I suggest you make a sojourn to box hill or elsternwick this weekend and report back. Just because St kevins are no longer as good as they used to be (were they ever?) doesn't mean the competition is deteriorating.
Soup head, grow up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You dont know your football sunshine, if you di you would quite readily remember McKeon bagging 12 on a wet Toorak Park, I was there watching.
Uni Blues side is nowhere near itrs golry days, either is OX. If they were they would smash all comers.
You obviously havent seen much real A Section football.

1 day.. So what?? In every team in A grade there seems to be plenty of ex-afl, senior vfl, other league seniors running around..

you could debate that the standard has infact picked up because you don't have guys like mentioned above standing out as much, because there are better players playing on them, and more even-ness throughout the teams.. the game has become alot faster, same with the AFL.. just because there arn't as many "100 goal season" afl players going around, doesn't mean the forwards who play for the teams are worse than they use to be... times have changed from booting it down the line expecting some standout player to kick all the goals for you.. The whole team contributes.. hence why A and B grades leading goal kicker is someone from the 3rd bottom team.. or there abouts..

you cannot successfully argue the standard has dropped.. you could, however, argue then even-ness of the competition has dropped, such that it being easier to stay in a grade/ b grade but not making the top four.. but the quality of teams making the finals has, and always will be, as tough and skillful as ever..

I forget which paper, and its probably mis-quoted, but i remember one paper reported that trinty thought OB was the most skillfull team they had ever seen..

teams do longer pre-seasons and are expected to be fitter and quicker nowadays.. the game has changed, along with the afl..

I'm pretty confident I know my football Brian. There is no doubt McKeon had a couple of very good years but I sure as sheep sh!t don't remember him kicking 12 at Toorak Park.

As far as seeing A Grade footy goes I'd love to pump my own tyres up here but don't want to sound like Scribe. Safe to say my club was in A Grade while St Kevins were in D Grade, C Grade, B Grade and then A Grade. And have remained in A Grade while your boys have again disappeared from the list.

Your view that the comp is in a state of doom and gloom is laying it on very thick.

I'm pretty confident I know my football Brian. There is no doubt McKeon had a couple of very good years but I sure as sheep sh!t don't remember him kicking 12 at Toorak Park.

As far as seeing A Grade footy goes I'd love to pump my own tyres up here but don't want to sound like Scribe. Safe to say my club was in A Grade while St Kevins were in D Grade, C Grade, B Grade and then A Grade. And have remained in A Grade while your boys have again disappeared from the list.

Your view that the comp is in a state of doom and gloom is laying it on very thick.

Fo what it's worth, he kicked a big bag against xavs, definitely double figures.

The standard has dropped. Not drastically but it's different. The middle range players are still the same but not as many guns and a few nuff nuffs getting a game who wouldn't have 5 years ago.

I'll name my club if Hornet names his nuff nuffs!

During the 90's you had a core group at OX who were playing in premierships year after year. That hasn't happened for some time. But I don't agree that this means the standard has dropped.

John, I think I'm right in saying you committed to writing the fact that you considered Uni Blues circa '05 one of the best ammo sides you've ever seen? This is only two seasons ago.

From where I sit there are plenty of quality players who have left. But those sides who have lost them ie OH, St B, OM's, St Kevin's have struggled to remain competitive. These sides aren't what they were but that doesn't mean their place hasn't been taken by other clubs who've improved ie OB, OI.

JGH, I respect your knowledge of Ammo footy. McKeon might have kicked a bag but I don't reckon it was 12. And he did it once, not "readily"!

I'll name my club if Hornet names his nuff nuffs!

During the 90's you had a core group at OX who were playing in premierships year after year. That hasn't happened for some time. But I don't agree that this means the standard has dropped.

John, I think I'm right in saying you committed to writing the fact that you considered Uni Blues circa '05 one of the best ammo sides you've ever seen? This is only two seasons ago.

From where I sit there are plenty of quality players who have left. But those sides who have lost them ie OH, St B, OM's, St Kevin's have struggled to remain competitive. These sides aren't what they were but that doesn't mean their place hasn't been taken by other clubs who've improved ie OB, OI.

JGH, I respect your knowledge of Ammo footy. McKeon might have kicked a bag but I don't reckon it was 12. And he did it once, not "readily"!
Who cares what you think, I couldnt give a flying tossbag. I umpired in 5 A Section Grand Finals whilst you were figuring out which finger you should stick up your arse. Go back through the VAFA results and you will see I am right about McKeon and I know the standard has dropped, regardless of what you lads say, so get far ked and have a good weekend at the finals. For what its worth UB and OB to win. Theres the phone, hang on, good evening VAFA Heaquarters, Briiiiiaaann speaking...

Who cares what you think, I couldnt give a flying tossbag. I umpired in 5 A Section Grand Finals whilst you were figuring out which finger you should stick up your arse. Go back through the VAFA results and you will see I am right about McKeon and I know the standard has dropped, regardless of what you lads say, so get far ked and have a good weekend at the finals. For what its worth UB and OB to win. Theres the phone, hang on, good evening VAFA Heaquarters, Briiiiiaaann speaking...

Umpired 5 A Grade GF's............was that after you played those 100 odd games at Sandringham you hot air blowing "tossbag"?

If A Grade has dropped in standard that much since the days when SKOB's "dominated" it, how bad must they be now? They struggled to stay in B last year, and are simply making up the numbers in the finals this year?

Does that make them middle of the road C Grade, or somewhere in D Grade in the good old days?

Your bagging of A Grade's quality is embarrassing and only makes your beloved SKOBs look worse than the under-achievers actually are!

Umpired 5 A Grade GF's............was that after you played those 100 odd games at Sandringham you hot air blowing "tossbag"?

If A Grade has dropped in standard that much since the days when SKOB's "dominated" it, how bad must they be now? They struggled to stay in B last year, and are simply making up the numbers in the finals this year?

Does that make them middle of the road C Grade, or somewhere in D Grade in the good old days?

Your bagging of A Grade's quality is embarrassing and only makes your beloved SKOBs look worse than the under-achievers actually are!
Kaos, you are a dic khead also. Ask JG Hornet how any Grand Finals Brian umpired, he will tell you the answer. You blokes all seem SKOB concious, where have I mentioned them in my posts? Surely you can contribute more than acting like the girl that you are Kaos, then again, you are an Old Xaverian.

Kaos, you are a dic khead also. Ask JG Hornet how any Grand Finals Brian umpired, he will tell you the answer. You blokes all seem SKOB concious, where have I mentioned them in my posts? Surely you can contribute more than acting like the girl that you are Kaos, then again, you are an Old Xaverian.

Kaos may be an Old Xaverian, but I imagine that is better than wishing you were an Old Xaverian...

By the way, will the students at St Kevins have to attach e-tags to their school bags when Trans Urban acquire that excuse for a football oval for its new freeway upgrade?

It is ridiculous to suggest that the standard of A grade footy has significantly declined since some arbitrarily selected previous period. The 'standard' of the competition jumps around like the stock market as teams gain and lose players and it is unclear how the 'standard' should be defined. For instance, as someone mentioned above, there is little doubt that '05 UB were one of the best amateur teams of all time. The only true test would be for every team in say 1995 to magically play every team in say 2006 and then do some sort of statistical analysis to determine which year's teams were better.

I will admit that this year's group of teams seems to be a little bit weaker than in some past years but that is just one year, and there is no doubt that the top three teams as recently as 2006 (OH, OX, UB) were VERY good football teams. The state of the competition is in very good health - bring on the finals and for the teams that didn't make it, next year!

BrianSpeaking i am with you all the way on this one mate! I've been watching A & G grade ammo's since the mid-1980's and the standard today is nowhere near what it was 10 years ago.

The players now are generally younger than back then and there aren't as many older physical players running around.

A good indicator is how many players today get drafted straight to AFL in comparison to years gone by. Look at the mid-late 1990's - Richie Vandenberg (Uni Blues - Hawthorn), Johnny Stevens (Old Ivan - Sydney), Matthew Robbins (Ormond - Geelong/Bulldogs), Chris Bossong (SKOB - Richmond), Cameron Bruce (MHSOB - Melb) & Matt Lucas (SKOB - Bulldogs).

I'm sure i've missed quite a few as well. Aside from the young bloke from StB/MT going on to a Hawthorn rookie list last year (sorry his name escapes me) i can't recall too many in the past 2-3 years making the jump.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back