A trading frenzy coming up! Would we swap for Mitch Thorp?

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: swap for Mitch Thorp

Yeah, a sweet deal.

I'll counter with our first round pick for Cotchin AND your second round pick.

Only slightly more ridiculous.

hmmm, not sure Thorp is challenging for rookie of the year honours whilst still battling at Box Hill but I'll leave that with ya , only a suggestion and I'm sure many tigers would be aghast at the idea of trading down a top 10 pick for a fella thats barely played a senior game...would be a massive punt on our behalf

hmmm, not sure Thorp is challenging for rookie of the year honours whilst still battling at Box Hill but I'll leave that with ya , only a suggestion and I'm sure many tigers would be aghast at the idea of trading down a top 10 pick for a fella thats barely played a senior game...would be a massive punt on our behalf

Hawks have invested heavily in Thorp, and the pay-off has yet to come.

The Hawk hierarchy believes it will.

With Cotchin, obviously, the pay-off has come already.

Your proposed trade only makes sense if it is someone the Hawks believe will not cut the mustard after a few years in the system; Boyle and Dawson would be in that category, Thorp isn't.

And obviously Richmond would not offer the same deal for either of those two for the same reasons we wouldn't say yes to the Thorp deal you offered; because it is a unbalanced trade.

In a nutshell, Thorp is WAY more highly rated than a first round upgrade trade.

Have made no comment about Thorp's form if you read my message Choota. In fact he has been not getting alot of the ball with BH (like most of them). But if anything happened to Buddy or Roughie long term (once again touch wood) he would be an absolute key requirement in Hawthorns plans. As for Dowler I have no doubt that he to will be an enormous part of Hawthorns future plans. Boyle sadly, not so much as he seems, warranted or not, to be a bit on the outer.

Fair enough. Long term he may be the best prospect. I interpreted your comments as implying he was knocking down the door and only being kept out by Buddy and Roughhead. I agree he has ability and agree with your assessment of Boyle. But if one of our guns went down in 2008, it would be Boyle who came in, then Dowler.

Not against offering one of Dowler or Thorp up for trade though as alot of clubs might be interested in a young forward and we have surplus.

Has been well documented that this years draft time will be a frenzy as clubs line up for last crack at at uncompromised draft for a little while.

Mitch thorp , talented junior that hasnt done much to date, albeit not too many chances in your front half...would you consider our Top 10 pick for Mitch Thorp + Hawthorn R1 pick

PS..i reckon you guys will make the big one so likely to be 15 or 16 you'd give back...Interested in your thoughts..and be nice

cheers and good luck:thumbsu:
No sorry,he has done very little cause of injury ,not opprt........and at the moment we need a ready made backman,not a draft pik.And sayn that,mitch in time ,may become that backman:thumbsu:

I would have thought it's what he has done since draft date that would equate to his current worth...It's only his relative youth and rating as a junior that is attracting interest rather than his performances at Box Hill. In any case Im sure you guys have a few bargaining chips with Dowler, Boyle and possibly thorp, ball will be in your court, and I suspect how adventurous you choose to be will prob still depend on where you finish...still early days:thumbsu:
P,S....like the way you think:)

Has been well documented that this years draft time will be a frenzy as clubs line up for last crack at at uncompromised draft for a little while.

Mitch thorp , talented junior that hasnt done much to date, albeit not too many chances in your front half...would you consider our Top 10 pick for Mitch Thorp + Hawthorn R1 pick

PS..i reckon you guys will make the big one so likely to be 15 or 16 you'd give back...Interested in your thoughts..and be nice

cheers and good luck:thumbsu:

richmond have been good at getting experienced players like johnson, brown, simmonds, polak and morton, but it hasn't been through intelligent trading. generally you've been on or near the bottom and have been able to force clubs to trade or let their player go into the pre-season draft.

the trade that you have come off is under that category. you are not near the bottom, and we have no interest in getting rid of a player that came from a strong draft and is being nurtured to bee one of our best kp players.

it's just not happening.

melbourne may have a chance though to lure him, and then you may be able to trade for him, but at that point other clubs would also be interested and then you would have to give at the very least your 1st round pick.

if you didn't know, our TPP is far lower than yours so we have no difficulty giving him an increase in pay. your team has been buying those players i mentioned, and consequently have little room in the salary cap.

did you think that they all left their other clubs because they loved the tiges?

as I mentioned in first post , I suspect that how adventurous the Hawks are prepared to be during trade week will much depend on how you perform in september, an unceremonious dumping would have the heirachy question where many are at and the relative upside...a near miss or dare I say it the Big one would have the braninstrust in a different school of thought althogether...time will tell :rolleyes:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would have thought it's what he has done since draft date that would equate to his current worth...It's only his relative youth and rating as a junior that is attracting interest rather than his performances at Box Hill. In any case Im sure you guys have a few bargaining chips with Dowler, Boyle and possibly thorp, ball will be in your court, and I suspect how adventurous you choose to be will prob still depend on where you finish...still early days:thumbsu:
Why on earth would we trade away a very highly rated key position player (who has struggled getting his body right) away and our first round pick to move 6 places up the draft ladder?

If that's what the market thinks he is worth, then there is no way we would trade him.

as I mentioned in first post , I suspect that how adventurous the Hawks are prepared to be during trade week will much depend on how you perform in september, an unceremonious dumping would have the heirachy question where many are at and the relative upside...a near miss or dare I say it the Big one would have the braninstrust in a different school of thought althogether...time will tell :rolleyes:

Change your original premise with the name Oakley-Nicholls and ask if you'd still be prepared to do the same deal.

I believe I can say that if Richmond were to offer him to us under such a trade as the one you proposed at the start of this thread, you would get a short and clear reply, "no".

You've got to ask the question on his part though.

After only one game of senior football after almost 2 years of football, its only natural for a highly rated kid to look around abit
He's a fair way back in the line to.

How long will a talent be happy to cool his heels behind Buddy, Roughy and Williams?

As for his value going up

Hawthorn key forward Mitch Thorp, 18, had his second hip operation of the year yesterday and is likely to have a slow start to his 2008 pre-season.

Thorp had cartilage trimmed from his hip before his first season with the Hawks began but required what the club described as "bony surfaces" shaved from the joint yesterday.

The nature of the second operation was preferred to a more serious measure, a realignment of his hips.

"There was the suggestion of a surgical realignment of his hips but we've decided against that," said Hawthorn football operations manager, Mark Evans, who added that Thorp was likely to take a number of months to recover fully.

"The first one involved a six- or seven-week recovery," Evans said.

"This one might be slightly longer than that, but we're not expecting the surgery to seriously disrupt his pre-season, although it's fair to say he will start on a modified program."

Pretty serious stuff for such a young guy.
With only 1 game in two years, his value certainly hasn't increased......and would have slid a little.

Carlton have a number of developing young defenders.

Any of them interest you......and maybe a pick?

How long will a talent be happy to cool his heels behind Buddy, Roughy and Williams?

As for his value going up

Pretty serious stuff for such a young guy.
With only 1 game in two years, his value certainly hasn't increased......and would have slid a little.

did you just notice that injury from 6 months ago? we are well aware of that and have been tracking his progress and if there was an injury cloud, you and the other clubs wouldn't know. we'd drop the bomb to you for a first rounder and you would get the explosion.

carlton have a number of developing defenders? would thornton be one of them? he's still a long way away from quite maturing and perhaps in another 5 years might be ready. when did you get talented players who weren't drafted with the first pick?

if you do have talented players coming through, then we'd be happy to take them off your hands so that you don't breach the salary cap that's bursting at the seams with 3 players, judd, stevens and fevola taking 2 mil of your cap.

you better get very clever with new strategies around the salary cap with the goldcoast team ready to snare any loose players to buy in a couple of years time.

That's wrong. Thorp has done nothing at Box Hill in 2008. Injury hasn't helped but he's been disappointing in every outing. Boyle and Dowler would both be well ahead of him if Franklin or Roughhead were to get injured this year. He is a year behind Dowler and several behind Boyle but any suggestion that Thorp is knocking down the door is nonsense. He's struggling at Box Hill. Dowler, on the other hand, is starting to play some good footy.

That is bullshit.

Sorry for the language but have you even seen a Box Hill match this year?

Thorp is going just fine all things considered.

Mate, Thorp will be a better defender than all of your "developing young defenders" combined.

Sorry.

Didn't realise I was posting to xenophobes.

FWIW, no, I didn't just notice that injury.........just posting something relevant to the comment "his value would have gone up".........I feel embarrassed for you that this needed explaining.......but there it is.

As for him being better than any of our developing defenders, well I guess that remains to be seen, and I wish him well.

As you know we are looking for another key forward, and, as it seemed to be the point of this thread, thought I would pitch in.

Apologies if your feathers are ruffled.:cool:

Do Carlton or Richmond really have anything we'd be willing to swap for Thorpy?

As I see it we need the following:

Key Defender
Quick, pacy A grade young mid
Quality Tagger

Personally I think the hawks should just focus all energies into recruiting the best midfielders we can with the highest draft picks we can get. We've loaded up on KPP and it's time to fill the rest of the list with quality runners.

Remove this Banner Ad

A trading frenzy coming up! Would we swap for Mitch Thorp?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back