News AA 2024 - Congratulations Patrick & Weiters

Remove this Banner Ad

Non-blues related, but today was a nice bow to tie together possibly my best and worst football takes.

Best take: 2019 practice match vs Hawthorn at Princes, Walsh's first hit-out. I was there and thought he was unreal, but the player that stuck out to me was Dylan Moore. His workrate, vision and goalsense was unbelievable that day and I thought he was incredible. Been a huge fan and advocate for him being a gun since and him being AA feels incredibly validating.

On the other hand, here's what I said in a draft thread on here about another AA tonight:
- As for his midfield prospects, he has shown in the U/18 champs that he CAN play midfield, however at this stage he hasn't shown any reason as to WHY you would play him there instead of forward. Again, he is clean around the ground, has good hands, applies lots of pressure and loves a tackle, however his kicking is a tad suspect and he's not powerful enough to compensate for his size.
Caleb Serong is now a 2x AA mid. I couldn't see why you would want to play him there instead of up forward. One of my worst takes ever I'd argue!

Being named captain of the AA team lost all prestige after they gave it to Toby Greene last year. What leadership qualities does he represent?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My forward unit would have been Curnow, Hogan, McKay, Cameron, Moore, Heeney, Stengle.

I get that it's tall, but there's some rare athleticism and output in that mix, and they very much deserve the nod.

Small defenders I would have gone a different route mostly and squeezed Sheezel into the team there, but lots of good arguments to be made at that end of the ground, aside from Whitfield.

Brent Daniels nowhere? Guess there's no room when you have to squeeze in 16 mids. Feel sorry for the blokes who play those positions at an elite level, every week.

Brent Daniels nowhere? Guess there's no room when you have to squeeze in 16 mids. Feel sorry for the blokes who play those positions at an elite level, every week.
Should have been in the spot they gave Waterman. AA selectors, like Voss and our “dated” coaches don’t appreciate the modern game enough.

Really hope we add a couple of recent retirees to our coaching group. Vossy is an excellent head coach but needs some recency in his confidantes.

Crippa a lock for mine, believe it has been his best year, if not, his most consistent.

A little surprised for Weiters. Definitely deserved a spot on “body of work” but far from a consistent year. He is certainly worthy of the accolade though.

Harry could easily have been given the spot they gave Waterman. With no second ruck named, H would have added some balance to the impractical team. H is undersold by too many, his work up the ground is as valuable as his scoreboard impact.

Not really, Andrews and Weiters had similar numbers, Mcgovern was a class above both
What? Are you talking about this year? McGovern got in on name only. All my mates are West Coast fans and they all think he's coasted off the defensive capabilities of Barass for two or three years, playing lose and getting cheap ball.

Remove this Banner Ad

News AA 2024 - Congratulations Patrick & Weiters

Remove this Banner Ad

Back