Votes: 6 7.3%
  • Taj Hotton

Votes: 18 22.0%
  • Other

Votes: 6 7.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Trainor
The 18-year-old has a concussion history, including two brain injuries sustained in games last season.

Trainor’s concussions are a talking point among recruiters ahead of the draft in November, where he and key forward teammate Harry Armstrong are the standout tall players in a midfield-dominated class.

I’ve seen people on here suggesting we need a speedy outside mid
Think the club already has that covered X2 with the Campo twins.

I’ve always been a believer in, when picking at the top end of the draft, you should never pick on needs, always go with best available talent and work the rest out later, there’s no such thing as having too many elite level talents in any position.
The way this draft is shaping up, we could very easily get a player we rate much higher at pick 11, if it’s an inside mid or KPP so be it,
we pick them and work the rest out later.

Last edited:

I’ve always been a believer in, when picking at the top end of the draft, you should never pick on needs and always go with best available talent and work the rest out later, there’s no such thing as having too many elite level talents in any position.
The way this draft is shaping up, we could very easily get a player we rate much higher at pick 11, if it’s an inside mid or KPP so be it,

Agreed, just take best available.

I’ve always been a believer in, when picking at the top end of the draft, you should never pick on needs and always go with best available talent and work the rest out later, there’s no such thing as having too many elite level talents in any position.

Neither Campo is super quick.

Generally, especially at the top end of the draft, you should go best available. But, you have to be balanced. Because no player is going to be a success if they don't get an opportunity to play.

We don't need another inside mid (having just added Lord, and Ben coming in) unless they are lightning. There's going to be a bunch of players rated at our pick who also fill a need.

Last edited:

I like the idea but a KPF would not be good for us and a waste of a top pick, outside of this, I’d agree.

I don't believe that the Campo boys are express pace, which is what people are listing after.
If Ben can dislodge Hewett or Kennedy from the side, it would be an improvement though.

I agree overall, draft for the big picture and trade/acquire free agents to address gaps.
I feel too much of the present outlook of some is tied to winning one while we've got Crippa (which would be great) but let's also continue to search for the next cornerstone of the side so our window can remain open.
It's what the sides like Swans & Cats have done, they've brought in the occasional big target but they've also done a great job in securing picks for departing players & continue replenishing their list.

Neither Campo is super quick.

Generally, especially at the top end of the draft, you should go best available. But, you have to be balanced. Because no player is going to be a success if they don't get an opportunity to play.

We don't need another inside mid (having just added Lord, and Ben coming in) unless they are lightning. There's going to be a bunch of players rated at our pick who also fill a need.
True Campo twins aren’t lightning fast, but I think they’re both quick enough and they’re footy IQ kinda makes up for it, Jordan Russel was lightning quick, ran the 20m sprint in 2.86 and I think he had about 2 running bounces I can recall lol

Look what happened this year with our injury list, granted this year was particularly bad and unlucky, but injuries happen every year, players form can drop off, players can ask for a trade unexpectedly.
A recent example of us not taking best available is us trading back in the 2019 draft, we had pick 11, Flanders was the consensus best available at that pick, but we didn’t think we needed another inside mid, so we traded back for Kemp as utility and the extra 1st round pick Philp as disaster and I think now it’s pretty clear what we should have done, I’m sure most of us would love to have Flanders on our list right now.
So basically my point is at the top end of the draft, if there’s an elite level talent we should just take it regardless of it fills a need, we can use later picks to balance out the list or even a trade to fill a need.

True Campo twins aren’t lightning fast, but I think they’re both quick enough and they’re footy IQ kinda makes up for it, Jordan Russel was lightning quick, ran the 20m sprint in 2.86 and I think he had about 2 running bounces I can recall lol

Look what happened this year with our injury list, granted this year was particularly bad and unlucky, but injuries happen every year, players form can drop off, players can ask for a trade unexpectedly.
A recent example of us not taking best available is us trading back in the 2019 draft, we had pick 11, Flanders was the consensus best available at that pick, but we didn’t think we needed another inside mid, so we traded back for Kemp as utility and the extra 1st round pick Philp as disaster and I think now it’s pretty clear what we should have done, I’m sure most of us would love to have Flanders on our list right now.
So basically my point is at the top end of the draft, if there’s an elite level talent we should just take it regardless of it fills a need, we can use later picks to balance out the list or even a trade to fill a need.
Philp was unfortunate because of his injury issues and never really got a chance. Now if we had used that pick for the consensus pick with 19 of Rivers (or Chad Warner for the burst player we were looking for) we would be well ahead. Kemp was much higher rated than Flanders before the knee injury.

That's not an accurate assessment of what we did in 2019.

SOS/Brodie/Agresta rated Kemp as best available, and didn't rate Flanders. It wasn't about type. We would have taken Young, or Serong, if either slid to our pick.

We traded back because we knew we would still get Kemp, and could get an extra high pick. If we couldn't get a trade done, we would just have taken Kemp at #11.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What if the 'elite talent' is a ruckman? Or a KPF? Or a slow inside mid?
Especially this year, when the draft is considered very even, or at least Clubs have very different assessments of the players, we should be looking at a player who can help us, and who can fit into the team in the next few years.

I like the idea but a KPF would not be good for us and a waste of a top pick, outside of this, I’d agree.
If an elite level KPF or KPB like Armstrong or Trainor is available at our pick and we rate them higher then any of the other players at that pick, we should absolutely take them.
Look what happened this year, at one stage we had all of Charlie Harry and TDK all out injured, imagine if we had another young elite level talent KPF on our books it opens up a heap of other options for us, it would mean we would never have to play a banged up Charlie or Harry, we could even move the magnets around and try Charlie behind the the footy in defense which we’ve seen work very well in patches and if we do happen to draft another gun young KPP they’re always going to hold a great deal of trade currency which also gives us plenty of options.
This is why I’m in the take best available talent and work the rest out later camp.

If an elite level KPF or KPB like Armstrong or Trainor is available at our pick and we rate them higher then any of the other players at that pick, we should absolutely take them.
Look what happened this year, at one stage we had all of Charlie Harry and TDK all out injured, imagine if we had another young elite level talent KPF on our books it opens up a heap of other options for us, it would mean we would never have to play a banged up Charlie or Harry, we could even move the magnets around and try Charlie behind the the footy in defense which we’ve seen work very well in patches and if we do happen to draft another gun young KPP they’re always going to hold a great deal of trade currency which also gives us plenty of options.
This is why I’m in the take best available talent and work the rest out later camp.

Key defender sure (although there has to be some risk with Trainor and his concussions).
Kew forward, nah. You don't spend #11 on a depth player when there are similarly rated players who would fill a need.

Key defender of course, still think you’d be trying to force a KPF in to a side that doesn’t need one and unless lots of opportunities presented, that player would leave.

We could target a stop gap key forward to play in the even one of the players miss a game and take some pressure off.

All other positions I could justify. Just my opinion though.

Philp was unfortunate because of his injury issues and never really got a chance. Now if we had used that pick for the consensus pick with 19 of Rivers (or Chad Warner for the burst player we were looking for) we would be well ahead. Kemp was much higher rated than Flanders before the knee injury.
I’m not knocking the trade, I happen to have a mate who played with Philp
and he said to me, this kids a gun your going to love having him on you’re list, he was very unlucky with injuries

I really rated Kemp before he did he’s knee, but the best game I seen him play was as a big bodied midfielder, he had a real POD with his height, power, pace and versatility, but we didn’t draft him as a mid and we fact is we drafted him as a utility after the ACL, because we didn’t think we needed another inside mid “Flanders” who was rated very highly by the time draft day came around and would have definitely been consensus best available at that pick, imo at the top end of the draft, if there’s a elite level talent available at you’re pick you should play it safe and just take the best available, regardless of what position they play, list needs can be filled with later pick or by trade

fact is we drafted him as a utility after the ACL, because we didn’t think we needed another inside mid “Flanders” who was rated very highly by the time draft day came around and would have definitely been consensus best available at that pick
Again, this isn't true.
We would have drafted Serong if he slid to our pick.
We took Kemp as 'best available'. We just didn't rate Flanders (who was considered a mid-forward at draft time).

I think a famous recruiter once made a comment about there being no prizes for having the most talent on your list. You actually need a great team.

Player rankings may not be black and white. I think teams try to take best available with first pick but quite often there a number of players rated very similar at a pick and then selection becomes a bit more grey as to who you select.

I think it’s a bit more complex around needs vs best available.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis 2024 National Draft

Back