Ablett doesn't rate until he gets the No.1 tag *MB thread*

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Ablett doesn't rate until he gets the No.1 tag

Ablett gets a serious tag again and once more his possession tally is limited.

We can only rate him when he gets a serious tag, and not when his opponent is someone like Mark LeCras.

ablett gets tagged, he moves forward and swings the game from chf

hodge gets tagged, fourteen touches :eek:

How did Ablett swing the game? Admittedly, he went better after Selwood's shoulder was knocked out of it's socket.

Just goes to show Ablett can't be rated until he actually gets tagged like the premium midfielders in the game.

3rd quarter, game in the balance

ablett kicks a goal and sets up another in the space of a few minutes

if you watched the game you would have seen this

Last night was just yet another confirmation that Chappy is Geelongs most damaging player. Ablett was getting very petty at having to deal with Selwood but I don't see Judd, Stanton, Harvey, Black and Hodge throwing their toys out the pram when they get tagged by him.

3rd quarter, game in the balance

ablett kicks a goal and sets up another in the space of a few minutes

if you watched the game you would have seen this

Was this before or after Adam Selwood left the ground?

By the way, I didn't say ablett had a bad game. I just maintain that we can't rate him as a midfielder until he gets the No.1 tag week in week out.

By the way, I didn't say ablett had a bad game. I just maintain that we can't rate him as a midfielder until he gets the No.1 tag week in week out.

Ablett gets Adam Selwood, has a low touch but still quality game.

Hodge gets Nick Smith, has a low touch game.

If this is the case, we also cannot rate Hodge until he gets the number 1 tag eah week? Surely?

Was this before or after Adam Selwood left the ground?

For some reason he actually plays better with a hard tag at the moment. Collingwood and Brisbane didn't pay him as much attention and he was just good against them, whereas Sydney, Carlton and Port put hard tags on him and he destroyed them.

This week he did get the number 1 tag and while he didn't exactly beat it, he didn't have any time to with Selwood getting injured so early.

If you want to see Ablett destroy a tag, watch Kieran Jack on him vs Sydney or Aaron Joseph vs Carlton.

It only takes 1 below par game in 11 before HP can bump.

What a thread.

How has he gone in the other ten games, champ?

Ablett gets Adam Selwood, has a low touch but still quality game.

Hodge gets Nick Smith, has a low touch game.

If this is the case, we also cannot rate Hodge until he gets the number 1 tag eah week? Surely?

Hodge has been getting the No.1 tag all year.

Ablett got his first No.1 tag this season.

By the way, Hodge had a quality game against Sydney as well, and was pivotal in a tough last quarter.

It only takes 1 below par game in 11 before HP can bump.

What a thread.

How has he gone in the other ten games, champ?

He's certainly racked them up, but hasn't been great in a few games this year.

I only bump when he gets the No.1 tag that every elite midfielder in the comp gets.

Happened for the first time this week.

By the way, Hodge had a quality game against Sydney as well, and was pivotal in a tough last quarter.
Do I really have to go through every game?:rolleyes:

Round 1: Andrew Welsh - number 1 tagger. Beats him.
Round 2: Hawthorn don't really have a tagger with Sewell injured.
Round 3: Ryan Crowley - number 1 tagger. Thrashes him.
Round 4: Domenic Cassisi - hard tag although not number 1 tagger. Cassisi always takes Ablett since Ablett dismantled Kornes a couple of years ago. Thrashes him.
Round 5: Aaron Joseph - number 1 tagger. Destroys him.
Round 6: Injured
Round 7: Kieran Jack - number 1 tagger - Kirk is only really a part time tagger. Best game for the year.
Round 8: James Polkinghorne - Do Brisbane have a number 1 tagger? Good game anyway.
Round 9: No tag v Collingwood. Quiet day.
Round 10: Tagged by Nathan Jones - better fit than McDonald, but Melbourne don't really have a number 1 tagger anyway. Beat him comfortably.

And then last night with the number 1 tag. So of all the clubs with clear number 1 taggers, only one didn't place him on Ablett. And only two clubs didn't give him a hard tag. And until the last few weeks (which have been just very good) he was in career best form. So yeah, I guess he can't handle a number 1 tag :rolleyes:

And now we can look at Hodge:
Round 1 - Jack Grimes tags him - I guess there's no number 1 tagger at Melbourne, but McDonald took Mitchell. Played very well in one of two great team performances for the year.
Round 2 - Cameron Ling thrashes him in first half then moves over to Mitchell.
Round 3 - Plays in defence against Dogs
Round 4 - Collingwood don't tag him. He plays well but has no impact on team's fortunes.
Round 5 - North don't tag him. He plays well but can't drag team over the line.
Round 6 - Tagged by Welsh. Quiet day, team gets thrashed.
Round 7 - Plays in defence, Adam Selwood follows him. Another quietish day, another loss.
Round 8 - Plays well against Richmond from defence and midfield. No tag.
Round 9 - Carlton tag Mitchell instead. Hodge plays well again.
Round 10 - Nick Smith tags him. Quiet until late, doesn't find much of the ball.

So he beat Grimes and about even spoils with Smith. Where's this plethora of number 1 taggers he's beaten?

Do I really have to go through every game?:rolleyes:

So he beat Grimes and about even spoils with Smith. Where's this plethora of number 1 taggers he's beaten?

I wasn't after your usual biased 'analysis' of things. That post was just full of bullshit, although I'll give you Aaron Joseph as a No.1 tag.

Ablett got his second No.1 tag for the year last night. 20 possessions.

We have to start rating him only against the opposition he gets, as he will often run around without a tagger.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did you see the article in today's Herald Sun about Ablett's defensive statistics thus far this year Hodgepodge?

To summarise:

- Ablett averages 4.7 tackles per game, behind Hayes (6.9), Swan and Judd (5.2 a piece) amongst midfielders. Oddly, Hodge didn't rate a mention.
- Ablett's had 141 more possessions than his direct opponent, ranked number 1 in the league.
- Ablett's had 49 more contested possessions than his direct opponent, again ranked number 1 in the league.
- Ablett's had 95 more uncontested possessions than his direct opponent, ranked 2nd in the league behind Chapman.
- Ablett's had 32 more clearances than his direct opponent, yet again ranked number 1 in the league.
- Ablett's kicked 14 more goals than his direct opponent.

In other words, it doesn't matter who the opponent puts on Ablett, he tends to burn them off anyway. :thumbsu:

I wasn't after your usual biased 'analysis' of things. That post was just full of bullshit, although I'll give you Aaron Joseph as a No.1 tag.

Ablett got his second No.1 tag for the year last night. 20 possessions.

We have to start rating him only against the opposition he gets, as he will often run around without a tagger.
Point out its flaws then. My post was fine. Welsh and Crowley are most certainly number 1 taggers.

Why isn't Kane Cornes tagging Hodge today? And more importantly, why are you sitting on BigFooty instead of being at the MCG?

Last night was just yet another confirmation that Chappy is Geelongs most damaging player. Ablett was getting very petty at having to deal with Selwood but I don't see Judd, Stanton, Harvey, Black and Hodge throwing their toys out the pram when they get tagged by him.

Hmmm, let's see now :

Judd gets a close, niggling tag and resorts to eye gouging.

Stanton, who cares, it's Essendon and they don't rate.

Harvey, gets a close, niggling tag and does his nana throwing punches, gets weeks.

Black, dominates some of them or hardly gets a sniff and has no impact.

Hodge, gets a hard tag and doesn't get near it, just seems to stop.

At least the likes of Ablett and Judd keep trying their guts out and contribute in other ways. If it makes you feel better, Priddis is another one who gets criticised for racking up the stats, yet he's another that keeps busting his guts under a hard tag, unlike others that give up the ghost.

Ablett's second No.1 tag this year, courtesy of Selwood.

Ablett - average game, no impact.

Hodge another hard tag by a No.1 tag in Thomas.

Hodge - BOG.

For some reason he actually plays better with a hard tag at the moment. .

How would you know? :confused:

I'll give you Aaron Joseph. Even though he's not the best tagger at Carlton, he does take the small forward or small midfielder types.

Adam Selwood blanketed him. Ablett was lucky he went off in the second half with that shoulder.

Kieren Jack isn't even a tagger . . .

Ablett's second No.1 tag this year, courtesy of Selwood.

Ablett - average game, no impact.

Hodge another hard tag by a No.1 tag in Thomas.

Hodge - BOG.

Thomas would be Port's 3rd best tagger, behind K.Cornes and Cassisi.

Point out its flaws then. My post was fine. Welsh and Crowley are most certainly number 1 taggers.

One at a time, or as a whole?

Welsh only played on Ablett for a half. Let's start with that.

Why isn't Kane Cornes tagging Hodge today? And more importantly, why are you sitting on BigFooty instead of being at the MCG?

I didn't go to the game today. Hodge got Matt Thomas, who takes a lot of the bigger bodied stars. Hodge was BOG again today, imo.

Sorry podgey, but I can never have a proper discussion with you if you're going to blatantly lie. It degrades both of us.

He had a good last quarter, yes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Ablett doesn't rate until he gets the No.1 tag *MB thread*

Remove this Banner Ad

Back