Bumped Ablett signs with Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Ablett-Gold Coast Chatter continued

What do we exactly get? IS it two first round picks - accrued after our first selection for that year? I.E> if we finish 8th, do we then get Picks 8,9 and 10???

Thats bullshit, how could we possibly be compensated with so little? The name Ablett is worth 10's of millions to any club without him even taking the field, and what do we get? ****ing nothing.....

**** you Demetriou, **** you Gold Coast, **** you Football

I can't believe the reaction of some Geelong supporters on this thread. _Me_ Especially. People calling him a dog and saying he is never welcome back to the club. He played his heart for your club for years and for less then what he was worth. Geelong said they made him an offer that would have made him one of the top 5 players in the league. He is the best and he should be paid accordingly. He has played for years under his market value.

The Cats have had a great run of late and he played a huge part in that. How was he supposed to turn down that kind of money?

_Me_ is a total w***er so his vitriol should not surprise anyone.
So many people on this board were under the weird illusion that Gary may stay at K-Park dispite the mounting evidence to the contrary throughout the year. Is it any wonder that they are now disillusioned?

On game day at the footy I consider any player not representing the Geelong Football Club to be fair game when it comes to extracting urine out of them for missing a goal or booing them etc. But to refer to one of our former great players: A Brownlow Medalist, 3 x MVP and dual Premiership player as a dog is a disgrace.

Some people on this board should seriously consider a cooling off period of a few days to avoid some of their over emotional and reactionary posts.

Exactly, a fact that some people can't comprehend

You're the one that can't comprehend that not everyone is driven by money.

You must be a woman...actually you're Lebron James, no wonder you can't comprehend loyalty over cash. :rolleyes:

Keep running with telling each poster that they'd do the same in his situation. I know I wouldn't. I'm thrifty enough with my money to have an incredible quality of life with $1mil a year as opposed to $2mil. and with scenario 1 I still feel good about myself and go down as an icon on of the game and the club.

_Me_ is a total w***er so his vitriol should not surprise anyone.
So many people on this board were under the weird illusion that Gary may stay at K-Park dispite the mounting evidence to the contrary throughout the year. Is it any wonder that they are now disillusioned?

On game day at the footy I consider any player not representing the Geelong Football Club to be fair game when it comes to extracting urine out of them for missing a goal or booing them etc. But to refer to one of our former great players: A Brownlow Medalist, 3 x MVP and dual Premiership player as a dog is a disgrace.

Some people on this board should seriously consider a cooling off period of a few days to avoid some of their over emotional and reactionary posts.

Amen.

let us get over the money thing

he was not the only one who was offered overs
but was the only one who was not wanted by their club

and he approached them with the intention of going

gaz is not going for just the money
but what else gaz

Wut?

You have been the one carrying on about money, judas, lauren etc.
The fact is yes, it sounds like he was on the front foot.
Just like he has been in every game for the cats.

It's most likely that his management said "only one person will get the treasure gary, we need to be first if you're interested. And we need to sell it or they'll hedge with others"

I don't understand what your issue is.
Is it dishonesty? is that it? do you feel cheated?

You're the one that can't comprehend that not everyone is driven by money.

You must be a woman...actually you're Lebron James, no wonder you can't comprehend loyalty over cash. :rolleyes:

Keep running with telling each poster that they'd do the same in his situation. I know I wouldn't. I'm thrifty enough with my money to have an incredible quality of life with $1mil a year as opposed to $2mil. and with scenario 1 I still feel good about myself and go down as an icon on of the game and the club.

Look it's fine to say you'd choose loyalty over cash. It's just talk

But when your actually faced with The Decision, actual action, it's not as straight forward.

Wouldn't have been an easy decision for Ablett, but in the end, money makes the world go round.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Why don't you leave this board and join Ablett at the Gold Coast, loser?
And you keep going on, and on, and on.

Sook? I hope mummy doesn't work late. You need a boob, and quickly.

Look it's fine to say you'd choose loyalty over cash. It's just talk

But when your actually faced with The Decision, actual action, it's not as straight forward.

Wouldn't have been an easy decision for Ablett, but in the end, money makes the world go round.

Correct.
And I don't reckon it was only about cash, but that helps make it easier.

I agree with this. Sure money can be a massive motivational factor but once you have enough money to ensure your needs and basic wants are met throwing more money on the pile doesn't increase your overall level of happiness.

A salary of $1mill a year would be more than enough to set yourself up if you invest it properly or use it to start some business work. Throw in all your endorsements, and follow-on work after retirement and you'd be sitting pretty.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that Gary would have been doing very well for himself financially no matter which club he picked. Doubling your salary is serious stuff, but at the end of the day it's just money and he wouldn't exactly be lacking it anyway.

Chapman B&F because he deserves it!

THE UP SIDE:
Goodbye Gary, nice while it lasted but we now have loads of $$$$$$ (still not as much as you though) and 2extra 1st round draft picks for 2012 draft...love that!

NEW GREATER GEELONG:
I hope we get a new coach soon too, Sando or Kenny, both would be excellent. New start, new vision, new young players (other supporters have no idea how many young guns we have waiting in the wings for this new beginning).

UNSUSPECTING FOOLS:
Most of the footy world will write us off again, and they'll get the rudest surprise when we pole axe most teams next year and finish top 4 again. We have talent to burn on our list...it's all up from this point. I think this is an awesome opportunity for us to rise from the ashes (of finishing 3rd this year).

THE ICING ON THE CAKE:
Just so looking forward to playing Gold Coast next year, it will be an absolute annihilation that day. Like the worst possible train wreck imaginable. I just hope the AFL have the guts to schedule it for Kardinia Park. That would be sweeeeeet!

But even if they did, I reckon Gary might pull a slight hammy the week before...so we'll just beat up on his new buddies, BADLY!!!

Bring on 2011. Time to move on and win another FLAG!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I felt for North when the lost Carey - it rips the heart out of everyone when a club great leaves. Now multiply that by x 2 and you will understand the effect of this decision.... The name Gary Ablett implies both Jnr and Snr and all of their history.... our ability to remember them both as legends of our club is now compromised....and for what? Two crap picks likely to be between 10 and 20....

**** you AFL

What annoyed me most was when he said "my decision wasnt soley based on money...I wanted to face new challenges".

Please. You wouldnt have gone if Gold Coast offered the same amount of money as Geelong would you Gaz?. It was based SOLEY on money.

What annoyed me most was when he said "my decision wasnt soley based on money...I wanted to face new challenges".

Please. You wouldnt have gone if Gold Coast offered the same amount of money as Geelong would you Gaz?. It was based SOLEY on money.

Everyone knows that money was the dominant factor.

But he has to say those things or else the media will kill him.

Yeah he didn't really put much thought into that statement did he? Obviously he was nervous and he was trying hard not to let too much BS out of his mouth but failed miserably!

it would be interesting to know if his tune would change had we won the gf this year and had the chance to 3peat with the cats?

the only challenges he will face is playing in front 10k crowds.

I felt for North when the lost Carey - it rips the heart out of everyone when a club great leaves. Now multiply that by x 2 and you will understand the effect of this decision.... The name Gary Ablett implies both Jnr and Snr and all of their history.... our ability to remember them both as legends of our club is now compromised....and for what? Two crap picks likely to be between 10 and 20....

**** you AFL

Us Eagles supporters know what your feeling like ala(Judd and Cuz) and can feel your pain.

Its hard to hold much animosity towards Gaz for his decision. He did help deliver two flags to the club, something none of us thought we would see in our lifetimes. It will be disappointing not to see Gary in the hoops any longer. As for the, 'its not only the money, its new challenges' - I think we all feared that because Gazza had played in premierships, won B&Fs and brownlows he'd achieved all he could at Geelong. Someone that aspires to better themselves, Gold Coast seemed to be a natural progression.

The decision is unsurprising, and was completely transparent to all of us. Sad but inevitable day.

Re: Ablett to sign with Gold Coast - announcement at 12:30PM

No - i said every sport in the world can poach players like the GC have done.

The 'number of sports' is in relation to the salary cap - or lack thereof.

In every (well i can't think of one that doesn't) sporting code in Australia (bar ours) - you can poach the talent from another team.

NRL, RU, Cricket, Basketball, Netball,

Add to that the GC only have an extra cap space for a few years - which is in part, to enable them to pay the extra 10 players they'll have on their list.

I also can't think of another sport where they ask the 16 other competitors what concessions they should give the new club.
*sigh* ok then Captain Literality, let me rephrase my original post:

In what other sport would they set up a salary cap system, then allow a club an enormously unfair advantage resulting in them being able to poach players from other clubs due to the amount of money they can offer.

Better? :rolleyes:

Fingers crossed Selwood beats Gaz for the brownlow next year by a vote and we beat gc in the finals now that would be sweet

Fingers crossed Selwood beats Gaz for the brownlow next year by a vote and we beat gc in the finals now that would be sweet

I don't even think the GC will make the finals next year lol, i hope Gazza collects a couple of wooden spoons :thumbsu:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back