List Mgmt. Ablett to move to Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the quote in the advertiser today, saying Gary dont go- Your the Son of a gun , not the gun of the Sun. clever

Clever AND Cringeworthy.

It's like watching a girlfriend beg her cheating boyfriend to stay with her because he's super good looking.

I can't imagine how annoying this is for you Cats supporters..

I think the more annoying thing is not knowing if he is going or not.

I think it is safe to assume he is gone.
The way it has been handled is identical to Bock and Krak.

Pav is the one that intrigues me though.

If Gaz stays have a party.

But just assume he is gone.

Hi all,

I've been away and am therefore a little behind on the latest gossip and developments around the club. So it's with some interest that I note Mike Sheahan's comment in his article 'Michael Rischitelli just Lion in the Gold Coast Suns'..........

Quote - 'with an ever-growing suspicion the new club will land Gary Ablett'.

What has been said, done or implied of late that justifies this comment?

The expiry of time does not justify the 'ever-growing suspicion', as he concedes in the next sentence that 'Ablett's future won't be known until Geelong completes it's finals commitments' anyway.

So I take it that some recent comment, event or implication has caused suspicion to grow?

No.

It is just due to the expiry of time as you say.

Ok. Not sure how this is heightening peoples fears though when he has said for some time now that a decision will not be made until after seasons end?

At least that's what I've understood.

It's a reasonable point you make. There's nothing substantively new.

Some people just can't accept Gazza's stated position and would rather read-into every tiny tidbit, every day.

My explanation for this is a kind of reverse psychology - I think people are planning for the worst in the hope they'll be pleasantly surprised if he stays.

It's a reasonable point you make. There's nothing substantively new.

Some people just can't accept Gazza's stated position and would rather read-into every tiny tidbit, every day.

My explanation for this is a kind of reverse psychology - I think people are planning for the worst in the hope they'll be pleasantly surprised if he stays.

You just summed up my 30 odd years of following the Cats! :thumbsu:

I'm surprised that no mention seems to have been made about Tom Harley's comments on SEN on Friday. He said that Ablett staying would have potential to do more damage to the team, than if he left. The reasoning being that players would be miffed that while they are accepting under-market values to stay together as a group, one of them would be on over-market value to stay together.

Yeah, I found that very interesting, although Gary would not be on 'over-market value' with us, just about every other team could (and would) pay him more than us.

Unfortunately l think this year has strongly demonstrated that we will be severely hit by his absence. Probably more worse off than l would have thought with other players aging also. He has won us several games with bursts of brilliance. His time up forward has shown his match-winning abilities and his role come late 20s....l reckon the guys would/will be spewing to lose him.

Please don;t go Gary (etc etc)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I do not rate Harleys work lately, he didn't even put Harry Taylor in his AA team!
Harry is lucky to be in Geelong's team next week on CURRENT form .He's off, has been awhile. But, he can and needs to step up to his best. He is not up to AA yet. When in form, is superb, when not he looks apathetic/lethargic.

Unfortunately l think this year has strongly demonstrated that we will be severely hit by his absence. Probably more worse off than l would have thought with other players aging also. He has won us several games with bursts of brilliance. His time up forward has shown his match-winning abilities and his role come late 20s....l reckon the guys would/will be spewing to lose him.

Please don;t go Gary (etc etc)
Agree. Too often we've waited for his spark to ignite us, almost as if it's a test to see if he can still do it, or whether he's committed to getting us up. Maybe if he was out, others would lift, but could those efforts be sustained? Time may tell, hopefully not.

I don't want him to go either.

But nature abhors a vacuum. Someone will step up.

St Kilda beat us easier this year without Reiwoldt. They learned how to ignite themselves while he was away.

That is the problem. Who do we have that has the potential to win the ball in packs, kick goals, be the goto man that Ablett is?

I would suggest no-one.

That is the problem. Who do we have that has the potential to win the ball in packs, kick goals, be the goto man that Ablett is?

I would suggest no-one.
Chappy to a lesser extent, maybe no-one

I would suggest no-one.
I reckon Travis Varcoe has being going OK lately. Thankfully there is another guy called Selwood on our list too.

I would suggest no-one.

Chappy is close but without the pace and he is a little more susceptible to injury. Basically I have to agree , I haven't seen any one with the potential package of an Ablett. Obviously if we had a player that looked close to GA would he be already playing? The facts are that if/WHEN he goes we will have replace him with another kid thats on our list. Motlop has potential and Weston is a nice size with pace and goal kicking ability but Ablett is a champion 26 year old player with a 190 games experience at the peak of his powers , there is no way we can replace that.

Even the picks we get will do nothing for this cycle , they may help to make our next group better however. Looking at the top 4 teams , we are the only one without any bottoming out picks.

I would suggest no-one.

What about Selwood, alot of people reckon his skills are on par with Ablett but he plays a different role. If Ablett goes, Selwood could step up, it's only his 4th year so there is every chance we are yet to see his best.

i just wished that the cats can read this, Ablett has to stay because he is such an important and no one wants him to go to sh*tty gold coast suns, they're just throwing money at him.:mad:

What about Selwood, alot of people reckon his skills are on par with Ablett but he plays a different role. If Ablett goes, Selwood could step up, it's only his 4th year so there is every chance we are yet to see his best.

Don't think Selwood is ever going to be a scoreboard threat the way Ablett is. Selwood is a heavy hitter in the clinches, but Ablett can go mustang on the opposition, snap 3 goals in 5 minutes and basically destroy a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back