List Mgmt. Ablett to move to Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't think Selwood is ever going to be a scoreboard threat the way Ablett is. Selwood is a heavy hitter in the clinches, but Ablett can go mustang on the opposition, snap 3 goals in 5 minutes and basically destroy a game.

LOL , is that sort of like going Brumby with LeftHand drive?

I agree though Ablett is unique

That is the problem. Who do we have that has the potential to win the ball in packs, kick goals, be the goto man that Ablett is?

I would suggest no-one.

Duncan & Menzel have the potential to be slick goal kicking midfielders. However matching Ablett in other facets may not happen :eek:

Don't think Selwood is ever going to be a scoreboard threat the way Ablett is. Selwood is a heavy hitter in the clinches, but Ablett can go mustang on the opposition, snap 3 goals in 5 minutes and basically destroy a game.

Agree al the way with TC.

Ablett is a once in a generation player. Selwood is great - Ablett sublime.

Yep. That sums up the difference between Ablett and Selwood nicely.

The good oil i had on the contracts is that Ablett was offered by Geelong $900,000 per year for around 3 years, GC offered him $1.9mil per year for 5 years. Theres a scoop for you although the source is Hutchi so who knows how reliable he is as he gets most of his info off BigFooty.

Thats correct. 900k a year plus benifits (not sure what they are)

9.5M over 5 years!!!! F**************************! . Let him go. I cant blame him but it would be irresponsible to go more than .9.
Let him go , get the picks , restructure the contracts at the club , bring them forward relieve any cap pressure ,protect us from GWS and perhaps set us up for a return of serve on their young kids in a couple years.

The good oil i had on the contracts is that Ablett was offered by Geelong $900,000 per year for around 3 years, GC offered him $1.9mil per year for 5 years. Theres a scoop for you although the source is Hutchi so who knows how reliable he is as he gets most of his info off BigFooty.

I know you said your source was Hutchi but where exactly did you read / hear this?

If Ablett goes to the GC, would he come back to Geelong to live in his retirement, and would he still be welcome at the club and city after leaving?

I couldn't blame him if he took the cash, and would still consider him a Geelong legend and welcome back any time. It's not all bad. Get some good picks for him and stock up on young talent. Having said that, would rather him stay. Best player I have ever seen play (was only a toddler when senior was doing his thing).

If Ablett goes to the GC, would he come back to Geelong to live in his retirement, and would he still be welcome at the club and city after leaving?

I couldn't blame him if he took the cash, and would still consider him a Geelong legend and welcome back any time. It's not all bad. Get some good picks for him and stock up on young talent. Having said that, would rather him stay. Best player I have ever seen play (was only a toddler when senior was doing his thing).
would Colbert be welcomed back here? I would be happy if he wanted to help out somewhere, many wouldn't.

Doug Wade disappointed many when he left to go with Barassi, but now he's committee.

Best player I have ever seen play (was only a toddler when senior was doing his thing).

I also think at present is the best player in the league and has been for 3 years. He is a true star of the game.

I still think his old man was a more exciting footballer to watch. Many people used to just go to a game to watch him play - because he was often spectacular in the true sense of the word.

Gary Jnr. is a different sort of player. More consistent perhaps - and plays in the mid-field really. The handball to kick ratios between him and his father would be enormous.

We will never know how good is father could have been - had he trained and had the attitude instilled in him - that modern football really requires these days. Regardless he was a true super star. Very few who have played in the modern game could come close to Gary Snr. on his day. His 1989 finals series was something to behold.

I know you said your source was Hutchi but where exactly did you read / hear this?
Audience Q&A time at end of Footy Show last week, I suspect. Although I was led to believe the figures were an extra $50k from both clubs.
I was also told both Billy & Hutchi expressed (gut) feelings that Gazza would stay despite the $$.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have no idea whether Gary will stay or go.

I will say however if he does stay then I think that would say a lot about the club - and the way it does business and plays football. It would be the final nail in the coffin for all those years we had trouble getting players to come to the club.

Ottens was the first big player we landed for many years really - and that suggested to me that other club players saw us as a bit of losing club. The fact that some players would take in effect payment cuts tells me we are over this old view of our club.

We have been transformed into not only a modern club - with a new better culture - but we also are becoming a great club in the modern era.

With regard to Belasarius' post above. I always felt that in the past we missed out onm good players because every player wants to go to a club in the hope that they will play in a premiership.

Given the new culture at Geelong we may find it a bit easier to lure quality players to the club that previously would not touch the Cats with a barge pole.

Having said that, we do not chase players from other clubs as a rule. Ottens being the exception.

would Colbert be welcomed back here? I would be happy if he wanted to help out somewhere, many wouldn't.

Doug Wade disappointed many when he left to go with Barassi, but now he's committee.

Time has passed , the feeling of desertion present at the time was intense , mainly because of the situation the club found itself in. For me this been long replaced by the 2 Premiership players we got for him in trade , if Colbert come back I would hold no grudges. One can only hope if he has a boy one day he plays for us rather than North.

Not if he is already signed for 5 years. His contract will not change even if the CBA changes the salary cap, he unfortunately will be tied to that pay packet for that period.

I think it is a longshot for him to stay, but, a small factor here is that Geelong could be using this as bargaining, especially that if he signs a new agreement when the new CBA takes place, in the latter stages of that contract he can be moved to the Vets list; therefore, providing savings for the club and maybe lead to a backended deal for Jnr.

Ablett and Colbert are comparing apples to oranges. Colbert walked away when we were down and needed him most, he's a North person for life as far as I'm concerned, he can go to their premiership reunion to celebrate the flag he chased...oh yeah that worked out great for him didn't it. :eek:

Gaz has given our club his all and if he does goes he'll always be welcome back. Your mileage may vary on this subject of course.

I agree with you Beth about Colbert. He jumped ship because he thought the club was going down the gurgler (which it nearly did).

I just hope if Gazza leaves that they don't have a sour grapes type press conference like Adelaide did, but say thanks for everyting you've done for the club, gutted you're leaving but good luck with your new Club. But as an ex-Geelong Champion you'll always be welcome back at the Club.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back