List Mgmt. Ablett to move to Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reckon Gaz made his decision some time ago. In another thread a contributor said he/she ran into Gaz at SS and suggested it must be a difficult decision to which his response was it was easy. The way its been handled by Gaz has been disgraceful. The club that has looked after him, his father and his brother so well deserve better. No other player publicly connected with GC has been so reticent.

I have it on good authority that the tide has turned. There is tension within the Gazz camp. He does not handle pressure well. (That is why going to the GC is the dumbest thing i have heard of).

Gazz has signed an in principle agreement with gc, which means jack shite.

However the current media attention does not go down well with Gazza. He can control it, by saying i will be staying at Geelong.

The desparation can be seen in the manner in which Pickers is handling the matter, and the defensive stance they are takeing. Bomber Thompson & Co have handled this situation to a tee. Costa has shown the love, and Thompson has declared him another soldier. Ablett will face a tough year in the press, and Pickers is a dumb ass if he think different.

Watson will come out with an almighty serve once the Gazza decision is out. (co-written by thompson). What we need to remember is that the coach and co know the side deals etc that the players get, and how well looked after certain players are.

I am glad the club is taking the action it is. As i said in 09, if the player has signed, play him in the VFL (so he can acquaint himself with footballers of the GC ilk).

Re: "Ablett Has Made Up His Mind" says Bomber

this whole situation is untenable for all clubs. absolute disgrace how the AFL have set this up, and it will be like this for at least two years after this one.

Interesting read except with it now becoming common knowledge that Gary last year may have signed an in principle agreement to join the GC
with still a year to run on his contract at Geelong, neither Pickering or Gary will be "delighted" they were ever seen on the GC at that time.
Regardless of whether he stays or not that was poor decision making.
If anything goes awry this season, Gary and Liam have placed alot of unnecessary pressure on themselves and the scrutiny will only intensify.

Going after the cash is one thing. Setting yourself up as a target is a very different scenario all together. Other big name players have shown how to negotiate a contract without holding their club to ransom eg Joel Selwood.

All good and great but i did declare this last year

where are all the idiots who bagged me now

Yes 'saladin' we should remember the AFL have had their grubby mitts all over this. They are hell bent on making the new franchises successful, even to the detriment of existing clubs. I bet there are some Presidents who already regret giving the green light to the excessive concessions given the the new franchises. And to think we pay the head creep $1.8M for doing it.

this whole situation is untenable for all clubs. absolute disgrace how the AFL have set this up, and it will be like this for at least two years after this one.

Well said!! The fact that a new franchise is permitted to negotiate with a contracted player, the best in the AFL no less, is disgraceful!
It means that GC are affecting teams and their potential performance even before they have begun to play.

Yes 'saladin' we should remember the AFL have had their grubby mitts all over this. They are hell bent on making the new franchises successful, even to the detriment of existing clubs. I bet there are some Presidents who already regret giving the green light to the excessive concessions given the the new franchises. And to think we pay the head creep $1.8M for doing it.

Why doesn't Demetriou just tell us all at the start of each season, which team he wants to win it, then we can all avoid the stress? It's gotta be borderline illegal, particularly as there is betting on results.
What if I had a bet with an agency on whether GAJ is going to stay or not, and the AFL/GC already know the answer, and are complicit in the result? It's tantamount to race-fixing.

All good and great but i did declare this last year

where are all the idiots who bagged me now

True. I think some humble pie is needed. Not that I personally ever bagged you, but some of the stuff you copped from others deserves some retractions. Personally, I didnt want to believe it. Still, there is no final word yet but regardless of this I feel the whole situation is completely out of hand and will leave a bad taste in the mouth whichever way it goes. Just say it Gaz?

Thompson is just trying to run a footy side and not some side show circus.

The Cats have played the PR game to perfection. It is amateur hour in the pickers and gazz love nest. The support will harness around the club, and all billboards with Gazz will be taken down and replaced with a genuine superstar like Selwood. If i was Selwood's manager i would be laughing, as the whole of the GFC support will come behind my bloke. I can not imagine any sponsor wanting images of Gazza up this year. The pressure is on, and the season has not started. Gazz will have minimal respect from his team mates, and i can see Chappie telling him to p off.
If there is anything that will change his mind, it will be the pressure of the next few weeks, where every part of him will be questioned. The smoke screens of his brother being poached, his dad moving up etc will be declared as such. Gaz has created this farce, and the club that is the GFC has been amazing. Life after football will be worth zip in the face of such negative publicity. But then again he can think of his ATO BAS statements

I have it on good authority that the tide has turned. There is tension within the Gazz camp. He does not handle pressure well. (That is why going to the GC is the dumbest thing i have heard of).

Gazz has signed an in principle agreement with gc, which means jack shite.

However the current media attention does not go down well with Gazza. He can control it, by saying i will be staying at Geelong.

The desparation can be seen in the manner in which Pickers is handling the matter, and the defensive stance they are takeing. Bomber Thompson & Co have handled this situation to a tee. Costa has shown the love, and Thompson has declared him another soldier. Ablett will face a tough year in the press, and Pickers is a dumb ass if he think different.

Watson will come out with an almighty serve once the Gazza decision is out. (co-written by thompson). What we need to remember is that the coach and co know the side deals etc that the players get, and how well looked after certain players are.

I am glad the club is taking the action it is. As i said in 09, if the player has signed, play him in the VFL (so he can acquaint himself with footballers of the GC ilk).

..and that right there is why no-one gives you any credibility.
Even if you believe and know inside info, nothing in business is a done deal until the ink is dry on a legal document between the parties concerned.
How on earth can any "agreement" between GAJ and GC be legally binding when he is contracted to GFC??!!!
There is no way he can commit legally to any other organisation while signed to Geelong.

True. I think some humble pie is needed. Not that I personally ever bagged you, but some of the stuff you copped from others deserves some retractions. Personally, I didnt want to believe it. Still, there is no final word yet but regardless of this I feel the whole situation is completely out of hand and will leave a bad taste in the mouth whichever way it goes. Just say it Gaz?

Thompson is just trying to run a footy side and not some side show circus.

Why THP?
We still know only this.
GAJ is signed to GFC and is seriously considering the option of playing with GC next year because they offered him a truck-load of money.
We are all, including TMA, speculating based on small pieces if info.
It is impossible for GAJ to be signed to another organisation while contracted to GFC.

Well said!! The fact that a new franchise is permitted to negotiate with a contracted player, the best in the AFL no less, is disgraceful!
It means that GC are affecting teams and their potential performance even before they have begun to play.

The only issue I have is with draft compensations. Or lack of.
We're just unlucky that it's us, and our player who is at the top of the tree right now.

But these concessions had to happen.
There's no point spending 200 million on new teams and fielding a west coburg squad.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bugger the VFL, I still believe we have a shot at the flag this year, if he is gone (and Im resigned to it) lets wring out every last of drop of that Ablett talent while we have it, run it into the ground and hand him over to the 2011 wooden spooners.

The only issue I have is with draft compensations. Or lack of.
We're just unlucky that it's us, and our player who is at the top of the tree right now.

But these concessions had to happen.
There's no point spending 200 million on new teams and fielding a west coburg squad.

Agreed, but I would add that the AFL has a responsibility to protect the assets (players) and rights of current teams. Their behaviour in this saga has been appalling.
I can handle losing Gaz if we are compensated but we won't be if he goes.
But what really pisses me off is if this season is undermined as well.

Why THP?
We still know only this.
GAJ is signed to GFC and is seriously considering the option of playing with GC next year because they offered him a truck-load of money.
We are all, including TMA, speculating based on small pieces if info.
It is impossible for GAJ to be signed to another organisation while contracted to GFC.

I dont know anything to do with the history here, but the level of abuse towards TMA was unnecessary is all I am saying. At that stage most were brushing the story off as rubbish. Now we have the senior coach making statements 3 days out from the opening match of a big year.

I am not qualifying this means Gaz is going or staying, just merely that this is heading to be a situation and TMA predicted as much last year.

Personally, Thompson is saying this is hurting the club, so from my point of view this is what is grabbing my attention right now. There is a very different way Gaz could be handling this whole situation. I hope he makes better choices.

Agreed, but I would add that the AFL has a responsibility to protect the assets (players) and rights of current teams. Their behaviour in this saga has been appalling.
I can handle losing Gaz if we are compensated but we won't be if he goes.
But what really pisses me off is if this season is undermined as well.

Absolutely. But not just any season either. This is a chance any club gets every 50 years or so to win 3 flags in a short period of time.

Thomspon is responsible for at least trying to stay focused and having a crack at this potential legacy. What other option does he have but to bring it out?

Absolutely. But not just any season either. This is a chance any club gets every 50 years or so to win 3 flags in a short period of time.

Thomspon is responsible for at least trying to stay focused and having a crack at this potential legacy. What other option does he have but to bring it out?

No other option. He clearly now is asking Gary to piss or get off the pot.
If Gary says "ok, I'm leaving", it puts the AFL in a very, very awkward position.

I dont know anything to do with the history here, but the level of abuse towards TMA was unnecessary is all I am saying. At that stage most were brushing the story off as rubbish. Now we have the senior coach making statements 3 days out from the opening match of a big year.

I am not qualifying this means Gaz is going or staying, just merely that this is heading to be a situation and TMA predicted as much last year.

Personally, Thompson is saying this is hurting the club, so from my point of view this is what is grabbing my attention right now. There is a very different way Gaz could be handling this whole situation. I hope he makes better choices.

In fairness, you may have missed the origins in the posts he was putting up in Bay 13 where he was sledging Ablett mercilessly, above and beyond what was required. People took umbrage to a Geelong supporter using innuendo and gossip to sledge our best player in a public forum, myself included. He has toned down his message since, but the fact remains that until Gary signs with someone, no-one knows the truth.
If Gary does go, I will be gutted, particularly as we would get next to nothing for him, but I will not presume to abuse him for making a decision about how he wants to carry out his profession.Lets not forget that the main reason people are shocked that he may go is that he has been around the club his whole life.
Well, maybe that would be exactly why he may choose to leave? Sometimes people want something new. He most certainly would have achieved all his boyhoodreams for Geelong, with one exception. The captaincy.
That also may be a factor. But we have made the right choices as a club IMO.
But it's a free country and if TMA wants to big-note himself on the internet he's entitled to, but he has to expect to get back as good as he gives.
He deserves no apology from anyone even if the coin he tossed comes up they way he called it.

Whoa! I can't believe pickers just said the decision maybe before the end of the season or it might be after, I don't know.

Whoa! I can't believe pickers just said the decision maybe before the end of the season or it might be after, I don't know.

Is he live on sen or something?

thompson seemed to have some ideas if ablett does indicate that he is leaving next year during the season. will be interesting to see what they're if ablett leaves.

and the way pickering was talking on "talking footy" last night it sounded like gary had already decided to leave. as an ex-player i wonder how well pickering will be received around the club?

This was a dumb move by bomber I think.

If Gary was undecided Bomber could have swayed him to the GCFC.

The reasoning is as follows:

He is pressuring Ablett, and not letting Ablett decide for himself.

Assuming Gary has made that decision then he is assuming Gary is going to the Gold Coast. This is because if Gary wasn't why would Gary not come out and say so as there is no politics. So if Bomber believes this raising the issue would not help anyone. If Gary was going the best situation , as Hall pointed out, would be to come out and say so so the club could concentrate on 2010.

If Gary is going after 2010 the Geelong may well have more drive after the initial let down as the chances to win after 2010 diminish with Gary leaving assuming he does.

If Gary decided he was going to stay Bombers interference could sway him to rethink based on the rationale above. It also may mean Bomber is concerned about the Cats after Gary so his move weakens his argument for Gary to stay based on premiership probability through Bombers desperation.

If Gary is undecided then Gary may pick Gold Coast because apart from Bombers view being negative it also may highlight a potential disconnect between the coach and the player or arrogance of the coach at least in perception.

So whether Bomber is right or not this statement is foolish IMO

Is he live on sen or something?

He was on fox sports about an hour ago, that bit was the only part they played on sen.

All of a sudden it has gone from mid year to the end.
(and he reckons he doesn't know :rolleyes: )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back