List Mgmt. Ablett to move to Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly. We're not going to lick his feet to encourage him to stay. The Ablett legacy would never be the same if he ended up at the Gold Coast, and it would be like a splinter in my eye to see a player named 'Gary Ablett' playing at any other club apart from Geelong. I can see the incentives for him to go (ie. family and money), but as you said, enough of this song and dance - it's like a bloody circus. IMO, it's more important that we sign another contract with Selwood anyway. We were always going to get r*ped with the arrival of these new franchises.

If Ablett leaves Geelong for the Gold Coast then he shouldn't go down in the Cats history as a 'legend'. He might have won 2 Premierships and a brownlow, but legends are what you call James Hird and Michael Voss, who stayed loyal to their clubs, if Ablett leaves then he will spend more time at the Gold Coast than he has at the Cats.

the club has forced his hand

pickers is in damage control, he thought he was so smart
lost control of the situation

I have been told that the Selwood decision will be announced in next 2 weeks,
to harness support and drive memebership

Re: "Ablett Has Made Up His Mind" says Bomber

I wonder how much of the Ablett saga is the AFL giving us the big FU when they tried to poach Cook to be the Gold Coast's CEO last year. They couldn't get the best club administrator in the league to go north, so they're going to dangle a huge carrot in front of the best player, who happens to be at the same club.

The AFL have royally rogered the Cats. An example is announcing the free agency model AFTER the GC trading loophole had been confirmed and it seems, abused.

Just appalling administration. :thumbsdown:

Surely nobody can imagine for a second that Bomber didn't know exactly what he was doing when he said this?

Even if people believe his comment at the season launch was off-the-cuff desperation (which I don't), the media focus on it all would have ensured that any subsequent talking he's done about Ablett's situation is carefully considered, and in line with the club's thinking.

There must have been discussions between Costa/Cooky/Balme/Bomber etc. to decide how to handle this from here, and today we get this comment (and attitude) from the coach.

Seems to make it abundantly clear that the Cats think it's done and dusted, and they're unprepared to play the silly games required to perpetuate this torture through the media.

To me, the GFC has decided Gaz is gone. They simply want him to do the club, the players, and all the supporters the courtesy of telling us what's already happened.

The mollycoddling of Junior while he chased the cashola is over; the club has decided that we've put all our arguments to him and the time for further negotiations is at an end.

That's why Bomber's happy to supposedly 'offend' Ablett by talking about this now; Pickers has been upping the ante and the club has had enough.

I am glad the club is moving on - hopefully they can get Joel's signature inked in rapidly and we can all move on.

Having seen Junior make it incredibly difficult for the club in recent days, I think the club's decided to return the favour to Gaz.

I hope he comes out and announces his new deal, and puts his head down to play a great season at the Cattery. I have no doubts that he is enough of a professional to do exactly that, and I can see him giving everything to walk off the 'G in September with 'Norm' and a winner's medal around his neck.

Let's face it, if he goes it will be his last opportunity to do anything like that in his footy career...

Great Post :thumbsu:

Whether Gary is on board or not is no longer the priority with the season starting and I think given the summer of BS they have been put through after such a successful 09 campaign, and Gary winning the Brownlow, you would have to think the club was entitled to alot more regardless of Gary's final decision.

this is all really sickening--we win a flag and spend all summer discussing whether or not our best player (?ever) will defect to GC, and the Stokes deal, it's been a really crap presesaon. do we deserve that? why is this happening to us? are we allowed only a certain amount of happiness?

it FEELS as if he's gone, and it's like a death in the family. hoping he sees the light and squashes all this negative foreplay and we can get on with the real play

the CEO gets paid 1.8 mil a year to fk the comp. Good work you d*ckhead

If GAJ goes, as bad as it sounds, hopefully he suffers a LTI teach him and the GC a lesson.

AND, to top it off, we have to go thru all this crap the following year with another gun.

a big FU to CEO Fat Boy and GC & GWS

Guys i think Gazza is gone ! If thats the case I just hope we dont losse Joel

Yay.

Another Ablett thread.

He better not screw my Supercoach Team over.

All this crap is giving the shts, the team is bigger then one man, Ablett should come out and say if he is staying or going, if he did say he is going would he play the season out and if he did how would you react to him. and by the way i wonder what would happen if Ablett did a knee or foot like egan, wonder what gc would say then... I reckon they would say GOODBYE ABLETT, or Ablett who.....Where Geelong would look after him. Ponder that Gaz...

I feel so very sorry for you guys. Whilst not of the ilk of GAJ my own team has 3 young players vital to the future in Cooney, Griffen and Harbrow who are out of contract and yet to re-sign. Granted Gary has bought a lot of publicity on himself by meeting with GC17 in the off season, our blokes have had none of the publicity that GAJ and the GFC has had to deal with.

The great thing, as far as your club is concerned, is that it has come out smelling like roses...again. Ablett and Pickering look to be the villains as your brilliant culture once again rises to the fore.

If he does go, fwiw i don't think he will, it is an absolute disgrace that you guys will not be compensated fairly. Nothing short of the number one pick in the draft suffices imho(even then you are being sold short). That you guys lose not only your best player but get nothing substantial for it is the biggest injustice in AFL history...

Good luck for the season ahead, you guys deserve to have things go well for you given the kick in the pants you have given this entire competition over the last 3 seasons...All the best:thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All this crap is giving the shts, the team is bigger then one man, Ablett should come out and say if he is staying or going, if he did say he is going would he play the season out and if he did how would you react to him. and by the way i wonder what would happen if Ablett did a knee or foot like egan, wonder what gc would say then... I reckon they would say GOODBYE ABLETT, or Ablett who.....Where Geelong would look after him. Ponder that Gaz...

I understand that you are unhappy, but I really don't want to ponder the thought of Gary getting seriously injured.

I'll be devo if he leaves, but wishing injury is poor form (I understand you never actually stated you wanted him to get injured, but someone above you did).

I dont want him to get injured, im just stating how gc would treat him if something like that happened, Geelong would look after him like they did to egan.

How would we treat him if he came out next week and said he is going, i reckon he would get treated bad from the cats supporters and the reporters, so that tells me if wont say anything until the end of the year or let him go now....

We need to sign selwood NOW....... and tell ablett to take a month off and come back and tell us you are doing, if you decide to leave then go now and say hi to the real Ablett...

I have thought about this and i really dont want Gaz to stay, because we will be spending to much money on him and could lose other players like selwood, hawkins, Chappy, Enright etc...geelong are bigger then one player (even ablett)

I LOVE YA GAZ
but

I LOVE THE CATS MORE.....

I feel so very sorry for you guys. Whilst not of the ilk of GAJ my own team has 3 young players vital to the future in Cooney, Griffen and Harbrow who are out of contract and yet to re-sign. Granted Gary has bought a lot of publicity on himself by meeting with GC17 in the off season, our blokes have had none of the publicity that GAJ and the GFC has had to deal with.

The great thing, as far as your club is concerned, is that it has come out smelling like roses...again. Ablett and Pickering look to be the villains as your brilliant culture once again rises to the fore.

If he does go, fwiw i don't think he will, it is an absolute disgrace that you guys will not be compensated fairly. Nothing short of the number one pick in the draft suffices imho(even then you are being sold short). That you guys lose not only your best player but get nothing substantial for it is the biggest injustice in AFL history...

Good luck for the season ahead, you guys deserve to have things go well for you given the kick in the pants you have given this entire competition over the last 3 seasons...All the best:thumbsu:

Thanks for the above post, it sucks so much because in football history, i cannot think of a name that has potentially left a club as the best player in the competition! Perhaps Ron Barassi going to Carlton, but even the Cloke/Wood/Raines trades paled into insignificance as none of those players were anything like the league's best.

And Geelong is severely hamstrung due to a club having the ability to put many of it's eggs in the one basket (Ablett) while Geelong has a brilliant list of AA's who are as low as about 12th on the totem pole of players at the club. Look at Ablett, Scarlett, Chapman, Corey, Enright, Ling, Ottens, Mooney, Selwood, Mooney, Milburn, Mackie, Kelly....etc etc. There's no way these great players and loyal servants can be paid their true worth at Geelong. But they are all willing to play for unders to play in a great side developed from scratch.

I just hope Gary Jr does stay, it would be a crying shame for our tilt at another flag be sabotaged by off-field distractions. However, i am confident that Geelong's culture as Callanward said before can still come to the fore. I hope so anyway.

I really hope there is some cooler heads at the club than in here.

Farical reaction.

I thought it was a lovely bit of spin from Bomber, deflected all the attention onto Gary and off himself and the club. He knows Ablett responds to this type of pressure and remarkably given his efforts last year, Ablett will be out to prove a point on Friday. I think bomber's comments are as much about getting a reaction from Gary this week than anything else.

How about we just enjoy seeing the team play, as they are, this year. I think it is the best Geelong team we'll ever see (partly because of Ablett), so how about enjoying it, eh?

I really hope there is some cooler heads at the club than in here.

Farical reaction.

I thought it was a lovely bit of spin from Bomber, deflected all the attention onto Gary and off himself and the club. He knows Ablett responds to this type of pressure and remarkably given his efforts last year, Ablett will be out to prove a point on Friday. I think bomber's comments are as much about getting a reaction from Gary this week than anything else.

How about we just enjoy seeing the team play, as they are, this year. I think it is the best Geelong team we'll ever see (partly because of Ablett), so how about enjoying it, eh?

As far as the team goes we have had a very low key approach, Bomber in fact said he has enjoyed not having much attention this pre-season. Not sure there was much attention to deflect as far as the side goes.

This is the second public comment Bomber has made about Gary in the last few days. Once fair enough, but twice is unusual for any coach.

going back 3 months ago i rang sen when balm was on the radio with k.bartlett & asked him why geelong as a city cant appoint g.ablett jr as the city ambassador or something similar.

jnr is as much value to the city of geelong as he is to the geelong football club..................he could provide so much marketing value to the city

balmy couldnt answer the question and said it was upto the mayor or the city of geelong to instigate something like that and the afl to approve it

if cartoons major sponsor can appoint judd as an envoiroment ambassador
surely geelong council would have no problem.

abletts would probably be offered around 850-900 from gfc
geelong city council would only need to come up with 500k to keep him there.

surely that is possible !!

Why is it that every time we win the flag, the off season euphoria is spoiled by an Ablett drama or fiasco???

Firstly, Nathan tosses it in--I'm still shat about that (post 07)
Then GAJ and Pickers... bizarre

Let him go, he will never be the same at the gc, and we will always be a great team with pride.

Bring on next year... Ling tags Ablett at Skilled (what a game that would be) lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back