List Mgmt. Ablett to move to Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was anyone else furious about the Niall article about Gazza's pay today?

Don't get me wrong it's not factually inaccurate, but everybody knows and has known about the 5yr 'underpaid' contract for years, so there's no new information and there's no public interest about it. If I was more of a cynic I'd suggest Pickering asked someone to write an article. What drivel.

Well, as a non-Geelong supporter I thought it was a pretty good article. I assumed, being the best player in the game, he would have earned something that would reflect his value to the club. Assuming this article is factually correct, I can imagine a simmering resentment towards Geelong building up over time when he looks at what he has contributed as a function of what he earns compared with say a Goddard, Fev, Hall (except for this year), Kerr, etc. His contract will no doubt be much more significant if he does re-sign with Geelong in comparison to his last contract, but you can forgive a guy for thinking that he is probably also due the lost earnings of the past 3 years. This is what GC will give him.

Football is a team sport and people make sacrifices for the team, but when a personal situation is so out-of-wack, then he needs to also think about life. I am sure that the fondest moments of his career, in retrospect, will be the flags that he played in for Geelong, but at the end of the day, he does deserve to be paid something close to his market value and he needs to make up for lost opportunity. Life is bigger than football, and I suspect there would be one or two posters on bigfooty who are earning more that GAJ right now.

Well, as a non-Geelong supporter I thought it was a pretty good article. I assumed, being the best player in the game, he would have earned something that would reflect his value to the club. Assuming this article is factually correct, I can imagine a simmering resentment towards Geelong building up over time when he looks at what he has contributed as a function of what he earns compared with say a Goddard, Fev, Hall (except for this year), Kerr, etc. His contract will no doubt be much more significant if he does re-sign with Geelong in comparison to his last contract, but you can forgive a guy for thinking that he is probably also due the lost earnings of the past 3 years. This is what GC will give him.

Football is a team sport and people make sacrifices for the team, but when a personal situation is so out-of-wack, then he needs to also think about life. I am sure that the fondest moments of his career, in retrospect, will be the flags that he played in for Geelong, but at the end of the day, he does deserve to be paid something close to his market value and he needs to make up for lost opportunity. Life is bigger than football, and I suspect there would be one or two posters on bigfooty who are earning more that GAJ right now.

Nothing personally against you (welcome to the board btw) but you're in the minority, as the vast majority of footy supporters know GAJ was signed up for 5 years in 2005, and that we've done fairly well out of it. I can accept these sort of articles when people don't know that, because then as a journalist you're legitimately informing the public, but when you recycle a whole lot of already known stuff into a page 2 article, it simply smacks of trying to go with 'the trend of 20 000 ablett stories a week to me'. Anyway, the rest of your post I do agree with btw.

I could handle it if it was revealed that he sold our military secrets to the Taliban or he announced that he was coming out of the closet or liked to dress in womens' clothing on the weekends.

But to leave Geelong for another club. Unforgivable.

Nah!

If he’s known where he’s going for some time.........

If
some at the G.C have also known where he’s going for the same period of time.........

If
some at the AFL have their grubby fingerprints all over negotiations and have also known where he’s going for the same period of time......

and

None of the above has informed the GFC – THAT’S UNFORGIVABLE!

Nah!

If he’s known where he’s going for some time.........

If some at the G.C have also known where he’s going for the same period of time.........

If some at the AFL have their grubby fingerprints all over negotiations and have also known where he’s going for the same period of time......

and

None of the above has informed the GFC – THAT’S UNFORGIVABLE!
Thing is we'll probably never know the truth on any of that. This whole situation is sh*T. We should be enjoying being the top team on the ladder and reigning premiers. Instead, we're more worried about losing our best player and possibly one of the greatest of all time. Really sux.

I don't worry about it, I just as I said, don't see any point in writing an article to tell people stuff they already know. Thus the only real reason could be to have a thinly veiled swipe at Bomber, which is exactly what I think it must have been. Like you, I usually like Niall's work, but on this ocassion, not so much.

Yeah fair enough. I knew of the length of his contract and that he's been paid under market value, but I didn't know by how much. For now I can say I sympathise with his predicament. Like some have said here, it pains me to think of an Ablett lining up against Geelong, but the hurt would be nothing compared to how I'd feel if he's already signed with GC without informing GFC.

Why don't we just offer an extra $800k a year to "market" the game in the Greater Geelong area a la the NRL boys' deals?
The AFL could hardly stop us now the precedent is set by them.

I understand with most on this thread and personally he is hurting my Supercoach Team as I don't have him, but I think you need to understand that while it is a sport, GAJ is doing this as a living.

Let's say you were working and you were on $50K a year and you love your employer and love the staff and love the work conditions. Then a new company rocks up and agrees to pay you $150K per year. Do you think you will leave (presumably you weren't a multi-millionaire)? Or if you were working and you were on $100K and you were offered $300K? It would be hard to refuse, and how will you explain to your wife/husband/girlfriend/boyfriend that you didn't accept the payrise...

Whilst I'm not saying I agree with GAJ, I can understand his decision....If it was an extra 25%, then maybe, but when it's a significant amount I don't think he has a choice... Anyhow, I hope GAJ stays at Geelong and I do feel for those with kids who love GAJ, but I hope you understand that GAJ still has to set up the future for his own kids...

Go Stosur....

I understand with most on this thread and personally he is hurting my Supercoach Team as I don't have him, but I think you need to understand that while it is a sport, GAJ is doing this as a living.

Let's say you were working and you were on $50K a year and you love your employer and love the staff and love the work conditions. Then a new company rocks up and agrees to pay you $150K per year. Do you think you will leave (presumably you weren't a multi-millionaire)? Or if you were working and you were on $100K and you were offered $300K? It would be hard to refuse, and how will you explain to your wife/husband/girlfriend/boyfriend that you didn't accept the payrise...

Whilst I'm not saying I agree with GAJ, I can understand his decision....If it was an extra 25%, then maybe, but when it's a significant amount I don't think he has a choice... Anyhow, I hope GAJ stays at Geelong and I do feel for those with kids who love GAJ, but I hope you understand that GAJ still has to set up the future for his own kids...

Go Stosur....

Not the point for many of us mate. If he's disposed to head off we'd be disappointed but that's his decision. It's the way it has been handled that has got up some of our noses. There are two parts to the equation. One is Gaz's best interests. The other is the clubs. Some people don't give the appropriate weight to the latter. Gaz might be one of them.

I'm not sure what possible reasoning you have to suggest that all the players you listed are going to suddenly stop playing well next year because they are 1 year older. With the exception of Corey's knee, all look to be in super form and shape and fully capable of a few more years at an elite level.
And then you arbitrarily decide that GAJ will do the complete opposite and play into his mid-30s!!??

I didn't say they weren't going to suddenly stop playing well next year, I said they probably won't dominate, which is fair enough.
Yes, I agree they are capable of a few more years at a relatively elite level, but because of instances such as Corey's knee, Chappy's suspect hamstrings, Ling slowly slowing down, doesn't have me too optimistic about next year, post-Gary.
I thought I gave ample enough reasoning to suggest Gary can dominate and play into his mid-30s. But while I believe Gary can play well into his 30s, I'm not convinced some of the currently 26-29 y-o's will be able to at a high standard.

Was Pickering at the Gold Coast as was reported. He did not answer this claim when asked.

Also this was the day that he said all talks were off until the end of the deason

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I didn't say they weren't going to suddenly stop playing well next year, I said they probably won't dominate, which is fair enough.
Yes, I agree they are capable of a few more years at a relatively elite level, but because of instances such as Corey's knee, Chappy's suspect hamstrings, Ling slowly slowing down, doesn't have me too optimistic about next year, post-Gary.
I thought I gave ample enough reasoning to suggest Gary can dominate and play into his mid-30s. But while I believe Gary can play well into his 30s, I'm not convinced some of the currently 26-29 y-o's will be able to at a high standard.

Why? Just seems arbitrary to me.
Chappy may never do a hammy again and (God forbid) Ablett could have a degenerative hamstring/achilles issue no-one knows about yet.
We simply don't know what the future holds for any of those players, but iI find it odd that so many people seem convinced that few of our star players are going to have long careers.
Many elite mid-fielders play well after 30.
28 is hardly a cut-off point. Don't forget that one of the great things about Geelong has been the fact that we do "spread the load", thus reducing wear and tear over time.
FWIW I think Ottens may well retire at the end of this year.
Milburn looks capable of at least another year, Scarlett is playing as well as ever, despite this hiccup with a hammy strain. Mooney seems back to 2007 form and is being helped by having Pods step up.
Bartel is at the peak of his powers. Corey has proven to be very resilient and I am sure will get his knee sorted. Chappy is playing as well as ever and they have learned how to manage his hammys.
Ling is still going great but maybe not as effective on the rebound/goal scoring as he once was.
Selwood is just getting started and Ablett is a God like presence.
Hardly cause for concern in my book.

I'm interested to know which of us will be extremely angry with him if he decides to leave.

I for one know ill be absolutly ropable and will proberbly boo him when he comes down to play us at skilled.

I'd be fine with it, and I'd turn on the telly just to watch him.

My 6 year old daughter has already asked for a gold coast jumper with his number if he goes, and I said 'no probs'

From what Pickers said and the way he acted last night. It has confirmed by suspicions he is a total D&*L.....

Abbers is 99% gone....

Sorry, but where and what did Pickers say?

Was anyone else furious about the Niall article about Gazza's pay today?

Don't get me wrong it's not factually inaccurate, but everybody knows and has known about the 5yr 'underpaid' contract for years, so there's no new information and there's no public interest about it. If I was more of a cynic I'd suggest Pickering asked someone to write an article. What drivel.

It's a good article, it definitely puts some things into perspective.

"Liam Pickering, sought to have the contract replaced with a deal closer to Ablett's market worth. Pickering is understood to have tried to get the club to re-negotiate that contract several times since 2007"

Although it's fair to say we couldn't upgrade his contract, it can't be said that Ablett didn't provide them with the opportunity.

How do I explaine to my two young Ablett mad sons of his departure???
I hope the day never comes!!! & if it does I hope they hand 29 to a young gun because there is a hell of alot of them getting worn at auskicks around australia.:confused:

I'd be fine with it, and I'd turn on the telly just to watch him.

My 6 year old daughter has already asked for a gold coast jumper with his number if he goes, and I said 'no probs'

While you're at it would you buy me one too. :p Given that being a turncoat is apparently cool and everything with many Geelong supporters in here might as well jump on the bandwaggon early with Gaz. At least nobody can accuse me of being a Judas and lured away to support the GC with shitloads of money! How magnanimous of me. :cool:

Keeping in mind I think Ablett is 100% gone:

Is it disingenuous for Ablett/Pickering to say they will put off negotiations with Geelong until the end of the year? Because 'negotiations' implies there is something to actually negotiate!

It will reflect very poorly on Gaz if @ the end of the year if he and Pickering say to Geelong, 'Oh yeah right, about those negotiations, um we've already signed elsewhere. Woops! Sorry.'

Keeping in mind I think Ablett is 100% gone:

Is it disingenuous for Ablett/Pickering to say they will put off negotiations with Geelong until the end of the year? Because 'negotiations' implies there is something to actually negotiate!

It will reflect very poorly on Gaz if @ the end of the year if he and Pickering say to Geelong, 'Oh yeah right, about those negotiations, um we've already signed elsewhere. Woops! Sorry.'

There's no doubt about that. Reputations would be tarnished.

Next question.

Who will GWS target? :( Selwood?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back