List Mgmt. Ablett to move to Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Ablett GC Chatter

i agree. i've been skeptical all along that Gary is leaving, but if he has in fact put negotiations on hold until then end of the year then i think its a given he is going. there is no way, no way, he would put it off until the end of the year unless he had decided he was leaving. there is nothing to be gained by putting it off until then for geelong, its a lot easier for him to walk in the off season. i hope hutchy is wrong, which wouldnt be a first, but if its true i think we should be starting to prepare for life after ablett. i dont want him to go, but its obvious by this move - if its true - that he doesnt want to stay.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maybe there is another reason.

If I had my coach on my back, week after week, making snide comments about me, because I haven't signed a contract as early as Round 5 (when the coach didn't rate my 38-possession game), I would say "You know what, Bomber, you want me to sign now? Well, because you are carrying on like such a baby about it, I will make you wait longer now. I was going to sign midseason, but you have been impatienty and criticised me, despite the number of games I have best on ground for your club, you can sweat on it now, and wait until the end of the season, when my current contract is ACTUALLY up. I will do it in MY time, not yours".

Besides, I find it a bit hypocritical that Bomber wants Gary Ablett to make a committment to Geelong, when he hasn't done so himself past 2011. If Bomber agreed to keep coaching Geelong until 2013-2014, he may have a point (as in, he has re-committed, so he can expect Ablett to as well). Unless Bomber commits past his next contract, how can he expect his players to?

Bomber should shut his mouth. If Ablett HASN'T made a decision, then he is making it for him. Why does Bomber want to drive Ablett from the club? Maybe I should start calling him Gary Ayres.

If I had a choice of keeping Ablett or Bomber, I would choose Ablett. Because if Gary re-signed, he may be there for another four or five years, whereas Thompson is pulling the pin after next year. So Ablett is the more long-term prospect.

Maybe there is another reason.

If I had my coach on my back, week after week, making snide comments about me, because I haven't signed a contract as early as Round 5 (when the coach didn't rate my 38-possession game), I would say "You know what, Bomber, you want me to sign now? Well, because you are carrying on like such a baby about it, I will make you wait longer now. I was going to sign midseason, but you have been impatienty and criticised me, despite the number of games I have best on ground for your club, you can sweat on it now, and wait until the end of the season, when my current contract is ACTUALLY up. I will do it in MY time, not yours".

Besides, I find it a bit hypocritical that Bomber wants Gary Ablett to make a committment to Geelong, when he hasn't done so himself past 2011. If Bomber agreed to keep coaching Geelong until 2013-2014, he may have a point (as in, he has re-committed, so he can expect Ablett to as well). Unless Bomber commits past his next contract, how can he expect his players to?

Bomber should shut his mouth. If Ablett HASN'T made a decision, then he is making it for him. Why does Bomber want to drive Ablett from the club? Maybe I should start calling him Gary Ayres.

If I had a choice of keeping Ablett or Bomber, I would choose Ablett. Because if Gary re-signed, he may be there for another four or five years, whereas Thompson is pulling the pin after next year. So Ablett is the more long-term prospect.

All the Abletts have been shielded in their time at Geelong from the media, because basically they asked to be and they got what they wanted. Bomber gets asked about Gary every single day now, subsequently anything/everything he says becomes print worthy. This perception Bomber is on Gary's back is purely a media driven hypothetical that in actuality doesnt exist; well except for those who wish to believe it.
Bomber has probably made 2 or 3 frustrated remarks out of many 100s so far.

As for the rest, Gary has been in footy for less than a decade, Bomber closer to 30 years. If retirement is on Bomber's radar, you begrudge him that after all those years of service to the game? If Bomber was thinking of leaving in the early 90s before he became captain of Essendon you might be able to make a comparison but otherwise there is no comparison.

I can assure you of a few things; Bomber didnt hold talks with rival clubs or hold his club to ransom over money and he was a one club player and never looked like leaving Essendon at any stage for any reason. If loyalty means so little to you as a principle and gaz who has done the opposite so far to Bomber in his playing days, why would you even wish to compare the sort of player Bomber was to gaz? Even as a coach Bomber hasnt held talks with any other club, at any time. Bomber hasnt left yet either, just the same as Gaz I guess but they have showed almost opposite ways of approaching it all.

Jesus !!!!!!! Just get over yourselves. You're acting like he owes you something.
No, no, no. Don't go trying to hide behind the banner of the GFC. Some of you have extreme issues of resentment and small penis syndrome.

He just plays footy. That's all. Get over it !!

If you were trying to sign the rest of the Geelong list currently, not just turning up to footy games and reaping all the rewards for all the hard work done behind the scenes, would Gary just be a guy that played footy?

Why is any of this so hard to see from the club's point of view as an organisation that has done as much for gary as possible and who is also responsible to all its other constituents and all the supporters too?

If your suggestion here is actually true, there's only one person who's really acting like a baby.

Bomber has made a commitment to Geelong - that he will finish out his coaching career with us (however long that might last). Junior's situation is totally different - he looks like making a commitment to turn his back on the Cats to play with a bunch of mercenaries for a wad of cash. No comparison in my book.

What Bomber has done in no way constitutes making Gaz's decision for him - as has been made clear throughout this insanely long process, the Ablett camp will make THEIR decision in THEIR time.

Bomber doesn't want to drive Gary from the club (he knows we'll be weaker as a result). He simply wants Gary to be part of what virtually every other player at the Cattery has committed to - being paid under the odds to be part of the most successful period in any club since the inception of the AFL/VFL.

And all the best with starting to call him Gary Ayres - there's virtually no comparison.

Ayres - fairly widely reviled coach of the Cats, who took the list backwards significantly during his time at the club.

Bomber - (almost) universally acclaimed coach of the Cats, who took the list from mediocrity to dual premiership success during his time at the club. And that's just so far...

If I had a choice of keeping Ablett or Bomber, I would choose Ablett. Because if Gary re-signed, he may be there for another four or five years, whereas Thompson is pulling the pin after next year. So Ablett is the more long-term prospect.[/quote]

This is not a choice under consideration - it's never going to be a decision between keeping the coach or GAJ. The choice is all Gary's - truckloads of coin at GC or legend status (with admittedly a smaller truckload of coin) at KP.

Overall, one of the more spurious posts I've ever read. :thumbsu:

Bad news this morning, I got told last night Gaz has already signed and he's off.

Mate of mine who is very active in GC footy (where I live) is well connected at the GC17 office and they told him its already done. Even mentioned the personnel at CG17 and I wont mention his name here.

Take it as a rumour if you like but not much grey area in what I was told.

Mods if you dont accept rumours like this then please delete.

Cheers

Perhaps many posters here take values like honesty, integrity and loyalty more seriously than you do. It's your interpretation that he owes supporters anything, I don't recall anyone even suggesting anything remotely close. To even claim that disagreeing with his actions so far means personal envy is a joke. You may as well replace "Geelong" with "Ablett" as the "team" you support.

This is what I have an issue with. How can you call into question the honesty, integrity and loyalty of Gary?

You can't. You will simply reply with If.....

This is the issue I have with the internet, there's huge scope for allowing innuendo and rumour to self perpetuate into fact.

This conversation wouldn't hold up around a water cooler for longer than five minutes. Yet you guys are spending so much time on it that you are winding yourselves up.

Disappointment is understandable, as is sadness, worry, and even the suggestion of booing.

But there is breeze of anger staring to waft through some posts, and that is completely unnecessary. And fairly disgraceful.

This is a champion of the cats, who is just a professional football trying to earn the best living he can.

Any human has the rite to choose their own path, so does he.

Having said all that, the people here showing anger will ignore that thought.

They'll just keep acting like a 2 year old who lacks control and therefor will continue to stand in the corner and stamp their feet until they are heard.

This board seems to be degenerating to the eventual point where negative comments about Gaz will be far outweighing positive ones.

It will probably be 4 months until he publicly makes his decision. In that time, shouldn't we be celebrating the fact that he is one of our greatest players? Let's continue to enjoy watching him play in our wonderful team.

Unsubstantiated rumours are undermining all that he has done for our club. It might be more productive to wait until he clearly states his intentions. If he does stay with the Cats (which is still possible!) all this negative banter will have been a complete waste of time (& emotion).

Like I said before, Pickering has a lot to answer for in this situation.
He loves the spotlight and continues only to voice his opinions on Fox and SEN which again feathers his own nest.
If Gary goes, Pickering should be banned from our club forever for the way the whole thing has been handled. As a player manager he's a joke.

This is what I have an issue with. How can you call into question the honesty, integrity and loyalty of Gary?

You can't. You will simply reply with If.....

This is the issue I have with the internet, there's huge scope for allowing innuendo and rumour to self perpetuate into fact.

This conversation wouldn't hold up around a water cooler for longer than five minutes. Yet you guys are spending so much time on it that you are winding yourselves up.

Disappointment is understandable, as is sadness, worry, and even the suggestion of booing.

But there is breeze of anger staring to waft through some posts, and that is completely unnecessary. And fairly disgraceful.

This is a champion of the cats, who is just a professional football trying to earn the best living he can.

Any human has the rite to choose their own path, so does he.

Having said all that, the people here showing anger will ignore that thought.

They'll just keep acting like a 2 year old who lacks control and therefor will continue to stand in the corner and stamp their feet until they are heard.[/quote]

Interesting you said that...

Not at all sure who's the more wound up by this?

Judging by recent posts, I see a trend.

Like I said before, Pickering has a lot to answer for in this situation.
He loves the spotlight and continues only to voice his opinions on Fox and SEN which again feathers his own nest.
If Gary goes, Pickering should be banned from our club forever for the way the whole thing has been handled. As a player manager he's a joke.

I think GCFC could be held accountablefor making this all a bit too public as well.

All the Abletts have been shielded in their time at Geelong from the media, because basically they asked to be and they got what they wanted. Bomber gets asked about Gary every single day now, subsequently anything/everything he says becomes print worthy. This perception Bomber is on Gary's back is purely a media driven hypothetical that in actuality doesnt exist; well except for those who wish to believe it.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Then why doesn't Bomber just answer every question about it with "no comment"? Why doesn't he just ask journalists to get onto the next question? He instead downplays Ablett's game against Carlton (when blind Freddie could see that he was B.O.G.) , say how much he loves Selwood for re-signing etc. If he played a "dead bat" to the questions, it would kill off some of the speculation (those muppets in the media will push it anyway, as they are just following the AFL's agenda). Bomber needs to be less "honest" with his frustrations, and have more of a "closed shop" mentality that has served Geelong well over the years.

Bomber has probably made 2 or 3 frustrated remarks out of many 100s so far.
------------------------------------------------------------------

That's two or three too many for my liking. (keep that in-house).

As for the rest, Gary has been in footy for less than a decade, Bomber closer to 30 years. If retirement is on Bomber's radar, you begrudge him that after all those years of service to the game? If Bomber was thinking of leaving in the early 90s before he became captain of Essendon you might be able to make a comparison but otherwise there is no comparison.

No, I don't begrudge him retirement. But his call for committment from players past their next contract rings a bit hollow, when he won't do the same himself. Of course he can retire, and he has earned it. While no-one can begrudge him that, to publicly state that he wants Ablett to give his future to Geelong, while Bomber isn't going to long-term is a bit hypocritical.

I can assure you of a few things; Bomber didnt hold talks with rival clubs or hold his club to ransom over money and he was a one club player and never looked like leaving Essendon at any stage for any reason. If loyalty means so little to you as a principle and gaz who has done the opposite so far to Bomber in his playing days, why would you even wish to compare the sort of player Bomber was to gaz? Even as a coach Bomber hasnt held talks with any other club, at any time. Bomber hasnt left yet either, just the same as Gaz I guess but they have showed almost opposite ways of approaching it all.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

How do we know that Bomber didn't have talks with Essendon, when they were wooing him in 2007? Just because he was never spotted talking to Essendon officials, didn't mean he didn't.

He may not have held the club ransom over money, but he did let the Essendon coaching speculation go on, and didn't re-sign with Geelong until after the 2007 Grand Final. The fact that he had just coached Geelong to a premiership after 44 years wouldn't have made him re-sign cheaply. He would have asked for more coin, and deserved it.

You have to remember that Bomber was annoyed with Geelong for reviewing his coaching in 2006 (which he deserved, since his coaching in 2006 was horrid). He contemplated leaving Geelong then. So, he may have "entertained" talks with Essendon to coach, and strung out contract negotiations, as a way of "getting a little back" on the club for reviewing him.

The fact is:-

Fact 1:- Mark Thompson didn't re-sign a contract with Geelong in 2007 until the end of the season, yet he wants Gary Ablett to re-sign mid-season. What's the difference?

Fact 2:- Essendon did chase Mark Thompson in 2007, and they only stopped doing it on Grand Final week, when they realised he was staying. Gold Coast are chasing Ablett, and he won't declare his intentions until after Grand Final week. What's the difference?

Fact 3:- Bomber has not committed to Geelong past 2011. Gary Ablett has not committed to Geelong (so far) past 2010. I don't believe that Thompson has fully made his mind about staying or going, yet he expects Ablett to have done just that. What's the difference?

Fact 4:- Mark Thompson is leaving Geelong to go into the business sector, and making more money, and wanting more security than coaching does. Gary Ablett may be leaving Geelong to make more money, and have more security post-football. Yet Thompson isn't considered greedy, but Ablett is? What's the difference?

Fact 4:- Mark Thompson is leaving Geelong to go into the business sector, and making more money, and wanting more security than coaching does. Gary Ablett may be leaving Geelong to make more money, and have more security post-football. Yet Thompson isn't considered greedy, but Ablett is? What's the difference?

Even if I accept the truth of your argument (not saying I do), there are 2 critical differences:
a) Bomber's decision doesn't affect our list management at a time when we're trying to do contracts, and new clubs (sharks) are circling. It simply doesn't create the same amount of chaos that GAJ's procrastinating does. I pity trying to be working in the club in list management atm, I'd be tearing my hair out with all the guesswork.

b) The media isn't asking about Bomber every week, they're asking about Gaz. Whether that's Gaz's fault, or anyone else's is irrelevant. Fact is it's happening, and it's disruptive and not what we need in the middle of a flag tilt. I'm not blaming Gaz, but I am saying that neither you, nor anyone else, can convince me that the way the situation has been handled (and the way it's likely to go on all year) is the best way it could have been handled.

How do we know that Bomber didn't have talks with Essendon, when they were wooing him in 2007? Just because he was never spotted talking to Essendon officials, didn't mean he didn't.

He may not have held the club ransom over money, but he did let the Essendon coaching speculation go on, and didn't re-sign with Geelong until after the 2007 Grand Final. The fact that he had just coached Geelong to a premiership after 44 years wouldn't have made him re-sign cheaply. He would have asked for more coin, and deserved it.

You have to remember that Bomber was annoyed with Geelong for reviewing his coaching in 2006 (which he deserved, since his coaching in 2006 was horrid). He contemplated leaving Geelong then. So, he may have "entertained" talks with Essendon to coach, and strung out contract negotiations, as a way of "getting a little back" on the club for reviewing him.

Fact 1:- Mark Thompson didn't re-sign a contract with Geelong in 2007 until the end of the season, yet he wants Gary Ablett to re-sign mid-season. What's the difference?

Fact 2:- Essendon did chase Mark Thompson in 2007, and they only stopped doing it on Grand Final week, when they realised he was staying. Gold Coast are chasing Ablett, and he won't declare his intentions until after Grand Final week. What's the difference?

Fact 3:- Bomber has not committed to Geelong past 2011. Gary Ablett has not committed to Geelong (so far) past 2010. I don't believe that Thompson has fully made his mind about staying or going, yet he expects Ablett to have done just that. What's the difference?

This thread is about GAJ... AND 2011

Did he sign a MOU with GC late last year ?

Did he take a "free Holiday" payed by GC during the off season whilst contracted to the GFC ?

Well... why don't GAJ and Pickering deny the rumors ?

If he 'did', and he is being payed by GFC in 2010 he should be ashamed of himself.

As for 'Pimp' Pickering ..... ? :mad:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe because both him and Essendon said they never met

Fact 3:- Bomber has not committed to Geelong past 2011.

Fact 4:- Mark Thompson is leaving Geelong to go into the business sector, and making more money, and wanting more security than coaching does.

He's not retiring and going to another club.He's going off to an entirely different job.
Gee this thread us dragged out the nuffies :rolleyes:

Lots of words in all that mate but I dont agree with much of it, if any.
I am somewhat averse to just repeating myself over and over.
You obviously worship Gaz, and thats completely your perogative.

Put simply how Gary has acted is the key, not purely what decision he ends up making. Can you understand this? GFC want an answer from him because of the way he has conducted himself up until now, not because they just want to get an answer out of him to victimise him at all.

If he didnt meet with the GC. If he wasnt merely evading any sort of negotiation and trying to make it look like indecision. If Pickering wasnt looking the same on tv when answering questions relating to Gaz. If there wasnt the overseas trip.

Constant cross references to Bomber when there are no comparisons to be made are just further examples of the negative emotional state this is driving some to. What you consider facts I consider a desperate attempt to save Garys reputation from ruin and I understand why too because if you do love him obviously so much you dont want to see someone ruin their name.

Some supporters need to grow up and stop acting like Gaz owes us something. It's disgraceful, particularly on this board, how some supporters feel the need to attack and criticise Gaz when he may not have even made his decision yet. I would hardly blame him if he goes. Instead we should be pointing the finger at the AFL, Pickers and the Gold Coast for various reasons. Pickers is the one who is handling it poorly, and the AFL/Gold Coast are the nuff-nuffs who created this situation in the first place.
And those who claim to know something about the contract negotiations are telling porkies and need to STFU. In fact, I suggest to our Mods that should anyone do so on this board until Abletts intentions are announced that they be red carded. I don't consider speculation and rumours constructive and relevant to the situation at all.

Some supporters need to grow up and stop acting like Gaz owes us something. It's disgraceful, particularly on this board, how some supporters feel the need to attack and criticise Gaz when he may not have even made his decision yet. I would hardly blame him if he goes. Instead we should be pointing the finger at the AFL, Pickers and the Gold Coast for various reasons. Pickers is the one who is handling it poorly, and the AFL/Gold Coast are the nuff-nuffs who created this situation in the first place.
And those who claim to know something about the contract negotiations are telling porkies and need to STFU. In fact, I suggest to our Mods that should anyone do so on this board until Abletts intentions are announced that they be red carded. I don't consider speculation and rumours constructive and relevant to the situation at all.

As stated before there is a trend emerging of unabashed vitriol from the Gaz camp presently.

He doesnt owe anyone to stay very true, but this isnt the point mate.

He owes the club the same respect they have shown him, simple!
He has let himself down, along with the GC, AFL and Liam agreed there.
Its not about whether he stays or goes now, its how its been handled.

There is a difference between this situation and the current Ablett one. Despite the speculation in the media in mid-2007 about what Thompson would do at the end of that year, Thompson let it be known that if the innuendo surrounding his contract status was in any way affecting the team then he would do something about it (ie. re-sign). He apparently asked the players if it was affecting them or the team and the players said no.

...Instead we should be pointing the finger at the AFL, Pickers and the Gold Coast for various reasons. Pickers is the one who is handling it poorly, and the AFL/Gold Coast are the nuff-nuffs who created this situation in the first place.

l hope like hell he stays and have no idea if he will or not, albeit it looks very worrying. But just on these points above :

1. Pickers may well be a tool but he is also the employee of Gaz. Relevance? Pickering also manages Franklin who publicly stated his intention to stay with Hawthorn long before any deal was signed off. Gaz should be viewed as the one who is in control of this situation - he could make it all go away in a second like Franklin did by stating he will sit down at the end of the season and do a deal but he definitely intends to stay, would love to stay etc.

2. AFL are bastards as well for the concessions etc sure l agree - But that that doesn;t mean Gaz has to go and that decision is still his alone to be responsible for - Not the AFLs, not Liam Pickerings etc. Other players who would have received equivalent pay packets as him - Hodge, Riewoldt, Franklin have managed to say no quickly and easily because of their admirable desire to stay with their club. Just like Selwood and a host of other players for whom the carrot of significantly higher pay packets did not prove remotely tempting.

l hope like hell he stays and have no idea if he will or not, albeit it looks very worrying. But just on these points above :

1. Pickers may well be a tool but he is also the employee of Gaz. Relevance? Pickering also manages Franklin who publicly stated his intention to stay with Hawthorn long before any deal was signed off. Gaz should be viewed as the one who is in control of this situation - he could make it all go away in a second like Franklin did by stating he will sit down at the end of the season and do a deal but he definitely intends to stay, would love to stay etc.

2. AFL are bastards as well for the concessions etc sure l agree - But that that doesn;t mean Gaz has to go and that decision is still his alone to be responsible for - Not the AFLs, not Liam Pickerings etc. Other players who would have received equivalent pay packets as him - Hodge, Riewoldt, Franklin have managed to say no quickly and easily because of their admirable desire to stay with their club. Just like Selwood and a host of other players for whom the carrot of significantly higher pay packets did not prove remotely tempting.

Good post japaljarri,

this is a Forum, and discussions on issues that concern us are quite fair !

Gary Ablett can 'snuff' this 'rubbish' out by being honest and telling it like it is ....

I believe the deal was 'done' a long time ago....

Smells of an integrity issue to me :mad:

Totally agree. Pickering owes Geelong, as his career would have been nothing if Geelong hadn't picked him up. Otherwise his career would amount to the handful he played for North Melbourne. So, he needs to point Ablett in the right direction (towards Geelong), because Geelong gave Pickering's otherwise flauderning career a second chance.

I would add one other culprit for driving this speculation- the media. The footy media use every little thing to determine what Ablett is doing. e.g. If Ablett is upset at a teammate for not doing the team thing, the commentators and review shows say about the incident "... he's getting upset with a teammate. Maybe there is tension between Ablett and Geelong, meaning that he is going to the Gold Coast".

The media are all wanting so badly for Gary Ablett to go to the Gold Coast. Why? Look at all the stories they would be able to write and talk about?" Ablett walks out on Geelong", "Ablett signs for $... for the Gold Coast", "Gary Ablett's first game for the Gold Coast". Whereas, if he signs at Geelong, "Gary Ablett re-signs at Geelong". Then what? End of story. The media want this to continue to justify their own existence.

The media is doing this, because the AFL want them too. Come on, does anyone think that the media is truly independent of the AFL? They are in bed with them. Why has not one media outlet questioned whether the two new teams are a good idea? Because then certain members may not be on the Hall-Of-Fame voting committee, Norm Smith voting committee, get free guest passes and GF tickets etc. The media are well-looked after to run the AFL agenda, and these "benefits" may suddenly dry up, if otherwise. Just ask Grant Thomas why he is no longer on SEN!

Yep the more I think about it the most angry I am at that fat f&^% in AFL house who created this situation. I'm really glad I've finally seen the Cats achieve he ultimate, because I can't say Im going to be too enthusiastic about footy once GC or GWS and their ex rugby league "heroes" enter the comp. Its a bloody joke, and not a very good one at that.

I can understand why league fans have no love/respect/interest for the Storm (prior to their rampant cheating) because fake is fake, can't manufacture a footy culture out of nothing. Bottom line is if its not us getting bent over its going to be some other poor club who equally doesn't deserve it :(

Even if I accept the truth of your argument (not saying I do), there are 2 critical differences:
a) Bomber's decision doesn't affect our list management at a time when we're trying to do contracts, and new clubs (sharks) are circling. It simply doesn't create the same amount of chaos that GAJ's procrastinating does. I pity trying to be working in the club in list management atm, I'd be tearing my hair out with all the guesswork.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

(1)Well, if they need Ablett to re-sign NOW, instead of the end of the season, then why have his contract until the end of the season? If coaches want players to commit, they should, from now on, sign every player to mid-season, so that they know who will go and who will stay, for their list management. So, no player should ever hold off contract negotiations in the AFL until the end of season ever again, given the inconvienience if gives the poor coaches. Every contract should now be signed mid-season, or it means that you are leaving.

Don't worry how negotiating a contract mid-season disrupts the current season itself (something I thought was important to coaches). No, instead, the player must sign straight away, or he is a traitor, whether he is happy with the offer Geelong give him or not. Screw the players, eh? Why not cater for the coaches whims, most of who don't have their salary bound by an archaic salary cap, and had their time in the spotlight, and there was no salary cap when Bomber or others played, so anyone could get paid more or else. Now, players are restricted from making more income (a right afforded to everyone else in society), and have to agree to whatever the club offers "due to salary cap restrictions", and if they want a better deal, they are called selfish, greedy and assumed to want to leave their club.

b) The media isn't asking about Bomber every week, they're asking about Gaz. Whether that's Gaz's fault, or anyone else's is irrelevant. Fact is it's happening, and it's disruptive and not what we need in the middle of a flag tilt. I'm not blaming Gaz, but I am saying that neither you, nor anyone else, can convince me that the way the situation has been handled (and the way it's likely to go on all year) is the best way it could have been handled.

So screw the stupid media. Most of them are has-beens or never-weres, who write or talk about football, not because they love it, but because footy journalism is a lucrative business. Some actually hate the game, and will criticise it at every opportunity. If Andrew Demetriou is Hitler, then the media is his Ministry for Propaganda.

As for it being disruptive, it doesn't seem to be much of a problem so far (we are on top of the ladder by a game and percentage), and Ablett would have four best-on-grounds, so it doesn't seem to have an effect. I think if we don't win a flag, it will be injuries or other things unrelated to this issue which will cost us.

Speaking of the Grand Final, I believe that , regardless, Ablett will stay. He hasn't signed anything with Gold Coast (since he is already contracted to Geelong, you can't be contracted to two clubs at once. It's the law, and Geelong can challenge any Gold Coast contract). If we lose the GF, Ablett will feel unfulfiled, and will want to stay to atone for it (look how cut up he was about losing in 2008). If we win, the good feelings will draw him to his team-mates. He would have to make his decision within two weeks of the Grand Final (before trade period), so he would be on such a high, he will sign his soul to the devil, let alone sign a contract with Geelong.

I wonder if Geelong want to sign their players (Selwood, Ablett etc) mid-season, so that they can pay them less (as two-time premiership players), rather than end-of-season (as three-time premiership players, who are suddenly worth more, and will cost more)?

There is a difference between this situation and the current Ablett one. Despite the speculation in the media in mid-2007 about what Thompson would do at the end of that year, Thompson let it be known that if the innuendo surrounding his contract status was in any way affecting the team then he would do something about it (ie. re-sign). He apparently asked the players if it was affecting them or the team and the players said no.

Well, I doubt Ablett's stand-off is affecting the players, considering that we still win most of the time, and Ablett was our best player (according to everyone but Bomber) in our loss to Carlton. So, this argument doesn't wash.

Look, Bomber held out until the end of 2007, when he could command more money, now being a premiership coach. He wouldn't have got paid nearly as much mid-2007, (especially after almost beign sacked in 2006).
Maybe Ablett is holding off, so that he is worth more after winning a third premiership (and maybe picking up another MVP and Brownlow along the way).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back