List Mgmt. Ablett to move to Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a good article, it definitely puts some things into perspective.

"Liam Pickering, sought to have the contract replaced with a deal closer to Ablett's market worth. Pickering is understood to have tried to get the club to re-negotiate that contract several times since 2007"

Although it's fair to say we couldn't upgrade his contract, it can't be said that Ablett didn't provide them with the opportunity.

It's a crap article (which is highly unusual from Niall) clear bias + spin!

Some have likened Ablett's so-called underpayment to Brisbane's additional salary cap allowance. Seriously, how can you compare the two?! He's one player fgs!

I would love GFC to response but I know they weren't. What I do know, from their perspective, they would've loved to have locked Gary in to a higher contract a couple of years ago. But they couldn't raise their offer to the point that GAJr & LP were requesting. No doubt (and it disappoints me that Niall doesn't say so) that LP has consistently 'delayed talks' over the past 2 years (say post 2008 season onwards) - knowing that 2 new clubs were likely to be granted a license, along with impending free agency talks, both likely to lead to inflated prices for top-end-of-the-market players. Is it no coincidence just how many top-line players are coming out of contract at the end of the year (even LP's other major client, Buddy) & been discussed in the papers at various points, but only one big fish apparently remains unsigned?!

My understanding is, yes Gary would've liked to have signed up to a higher contract a couple of years ago, but was VERY reluctant to extend his contract term much further beyond the existing length. Obviously very aware of when GC & GWS were coming in. Look at it from GFC's view, they would've probably preferred as long a contract as possible, with the intention of 'back-ending' the payments (a la Kouta). Not necessarily prudent, of course, hence why they have not done something similar with Selwood's contract, even though HE wanted a longer contract than the two years offered (thankfully that's 2011 & 2012, so he's missed the GWS boat, I believe).

What just gets me about Niall's article is that some 'facts' have been presented (& yes perhaps they should be discussed) but whilst very conveniently neglecting to include 'the other side' of the argument (ie GFC). Of course, that's a journalist's wont. Insiders @ GFC have regularly commented that GAJr was considerably overpaid in his early years at the club & in the early years of his current contract (considering it must've started in 2006 - he was certainly no star then, indeed many were bemused that he could be offered such a long contract, considering that he was perceived to be at the crossroads - as many were - pre 2007).

From my PoV, this is just continuing to show me that we're a victim of our own success. The AFL wants to see us knocked down (no doubt about that - we're not good for the 'competition', no outstanding team over 3 years is) but just about everyone at GFC wants to be part of a great team that will be remembered for bucking the expectations - except for one!

However, I for one am definitely not going to argue that GAJr is leaving just for the money, he must have more reasons than simply that (even though it's a bloody good reason), otherwise why would even bother to talk to them in the first place (unlike Selwood). Fact is we'll never know the 'whole truth' - so I sincerely hope that Niall isn't purporting to do just that!

Selwood has already signed with us, no worries there i believe.

I feel pretty safe about Selly.

But apparently it is only a 2 year deal, which means they can have a crack at him.

I feel pretty safe about Selly.

But apparently it is only a 2 year deal, which means they can have a crack at him.

Selwood is a lock to remain at the Cats - just look at the comments he made that accompanied his re-signing.

Only reason he signed a shorter deal was the uncertainty about how much money will be left in the tin for 2013 and beyond, depending on Junior's decision (which seems to have been made now anyway).

He will sign a long-term contract with the Cats next time around, by which time he will also be Selwood, J. (c).

In the midst of the Ablett contract debacle, this bloke stands out like a beacon of integrity - Cats fans will still be talking about 2006 draft day in 50 years...Pick number 7!!! :D

Apparently he was on Fox AFL Teams and dodged the question about why he had been on the GC on Sunday night.

Saw that and I think Pickering is a sleeze bag - should be a pimp...

I'm concerned about the talk about an MOU and the 'freebee' holiday for GAj over the off season...

If the MOU was signed and Gary took the 'freebee' holiday whilst still under contract with Geelong, as far as I'm concerned (if true) it is a real issue of 'integrity', and he can "go" now .....

You don't take free gifts worth more than a couple of bucks from a potential employer whilst employed by a one of that business' competitor's...

I don't know if the 'rumor' is true, but if it is, it should be outlawed.... and against the leagues code of conduct.

'If true' ..... VERY unprofessional ..... somehow I think it's BS....

I hope he stay's but after seeing 'Sleezy' on AFL teams, Gazza's gone ....

There's no doubt about that. Reputations would be tarnished.

Next question.

Who will GWS target? :( Selwood?

Yep, GWS will go after Selwood. The GC can't get Selwood because he signed a new 2 year deal, but GWS enter the AFL in 2012, by then Selwood will be coming to the end of his current contract, simular to Ablett's situation. I heard that Geelong wanted Selwood to sign a new 3 year deal but he just wanted 2, don't know why ??:/

Ok, so what do the Cats do ??? If Ablett is going (From what i saw from Pickering, Ablett is gone) then should he play out the season ??. I know he wants the Cats to win another premiership, but if his heart isn't in Geelong and he has decided to join the Gold Coast then why should he be apart of the team.

Ok, so what do the Cats do ??? If Ablett is going (From what i saw from Pickering, Ablett is gone) then should he play out the season ??. I know he wants the Cats to win another premiership, but if his heart isn't in Geelong and he has decided to join the Gold Coast then why should he be apart of the team.

^Exactly.

If they happen to get up again he doesn't deserve to share in the spoils of victory IMHO. I don't how he'd be able to look them in the eyes afterwards and tell them he's leaving them.

Good luck GAJ, not that you'll need it if you are going.

if his heart isn't in Geelong and he has decided to join the Gold Coast then why should he be apart of the team.

The conspiracy theorist in me wondered whether Gary's extended time in the forwardline was because of an intention to leave the club at the end of the year.

Quite frankly I have a new (and very unlikely) empathy with Eagles supporters, since they had to deal with this throughout 2007.

I was somewhat amused by Pickering's body language Thursday night.

To be a player manager AND to continue as a media presenter you would need to be a consumate performer as a professional business person.

Once you cash in on Gaz Liam, take my advice and give up the media gig!

Not that I think being a manager is Liam's calling, in fact quite the opposite, but at the very least it could be a whole lot less embarrassing.

At the end of this sorry tale no matter how it turns out, Pickering will have no credibility, but then again in the modern age who needs it right?

What peeves us mostly is his inability to show the leadership which he has learned at the club; the exact same one that overpaid him in the first few years of his contract and nurtured him away from the spotlight being the son of one of the games best.

That I think is the real element to this saga, one that gives me heartache whenever I see another story or word with Pickering's drivel all over it. That article was one of the worst one-sided and subjective views in a long time. I bet Pickering provided oversight of it and ensured that Ablett is seen as the underdog.

Too bad the real facts are that for a highly inconsistent player five years ago, he was given a long term contract at a very good level. However, lets not put that in the way of a subjective story.

I'm sick of this whole story. If he does leave, I would boo him at every opportunity. I realise that he has given the club a lot, however, I think selling out on an organisation that has supported him and his family (even when Gary Snr consistently burned the hand that fed him), to now treat them with little or no respect is disgraceful and provides a clear indication of his leadership abilities.

If the case comes to light that he accepted a 'bribe' of a free holiday in return for a signing of an MOU; God help Gary and the Ablett family. That action would tarnish the Ablett name as members of the club, that would take a very long time (if ever) of being overcome.

And that would be sad.

The conspiracy theorist in me wondered whether Gary's extended time in the forwardline was because of an intention to leave the club at the end of the year.

Quite frankly I have a new (and very unlikely) empathy with Eagles supporters, since they had to deal with this throughout 2007.

Just to think the AFL werent involved in the Judd deal, and at the very least the Eagles were well compensated.

What a sorry state of affairs when people lose their integrity over money, power and ambition. Sounds rather like Shakespeare ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm sick of this whole story. If he does leave, I would boo him at every opportunity. I realise that he has given the club a lot, however, I think selling out on an organisation that has supported him and his family (even when Gary Snr consistently burned the hand that fed him), to now treat them with little or no respect is disgraceful and provides a clear indication of his leadership abilities.

If the case comes to light that he accepted a 'bribe' of a free holiday in return for a signing of an MOU; God help Gary and the Ablett family. That action would tarnish the Ablett name as members of the club, that would take a very long time (if ever) of being overcome.

And that would be sad.

Ditto .....

If the free Holiday and MOU come out.. God help him... that will NEVER be forgotten.....:thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

Jesus !!!!!!! Just get over yourselves. You're acting like he owes you something.
No, no, no. Don't go trying to hide behind the banner of the GFC. Some of you have extreme issues of resentment and small penis syndrome.

He just plays footy. That's all. Get over it !
!

Jesus !!!!!!! Just get over yourselves. You're acting like he owes you something.
No, no, no. Don't go trying to hide behind the banner of the GFC. Some of you have extreme issues of resentment and small penis syndrome.

He just plays footy. That's all. Get over it !!

Nope ....

It's BIG business, and if you're accepting bribes by a competitor whilst employed by another, you have an integrity issue...

If true, it's wrong :thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

I hope it's not...

This is a Forum after all, and a way of discussing thought's and concerns, so you get over yourself and calm down... tone down the Font and Bold print too :)

If you have a 'contra' view, post and discuss ...

If he does leave, I would boo him at every opportunity.

Steer clear of the Wade stand then!!!!!

I reckon the small print for Ablett says " IF we win a third I'm with you G.C ... If not we (GFC) reload".

Two flags is almost two much for us oldies to get our heads around. A third.........well maybe I must start believing in miracles......Gaz you can play for the Lakers or the Myrtleford Saints like your dad if we win three - I will remember a champion of our game AND our club.

By the way this is my fourth theory - stay tuned for number 5.

!

lol yes this post was definitely worth size "4" font. It's like you are yelling for eternity

All of this angsty-backwards and forwards over analysing of what's being reported in the media...Gary OR his management never said a decision would be made by mid year.
Here it is again, straight from the horses mouth:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/i-...says-gary-ablett/story-e6frf7jo-1225846380743

You see it all the time that AFL players wait until the end of their existing contract before they renegotiate their next one. There are plenty of footballers at clubs, some of them big names, who are in the last year of club deals, but nobody is giving an opinion every second day about what they should do. It's something clubs have to deal with all the time.

I want to concentrate on my football, give my all this season and make a decision when I'm ready to make a decision. This is a huge decision in my life and I don't think it's fair that I should be rushed into making it ahead of time just because outside pressure is being put on the club. I really hope people can respect that.

FFS can we stop deciding what Gary's done before he's even made the decision himself?

The man is a dual premiership Brownlow winner for OUR club, and supporters are on here accusing him of being the greatest turncoat in our history.

Disgusting.

Give him the respect he deserves and let the kid make a call on his own future.

The club will go on, with, or without him!

Apologies on invading the board, but TBH GAJ would be crazy from a career POV to turn down any reported offer from GC.

I think a lot of us fail to see that this is their career and compared to most of ours, theirs is short lived.

If a rival company came up to me and said 'Hey, we want to give you $50K more than what your on now for the same job here' my missus would kick me in the balls if I turned it down. I owe my company nothing, they owe me nothing so why not chase coin. We are so wrapped up in this illusion that all our players play for our club and logo and supporters and all that stuff that sells footy jumpers, but in all honesty I would imagine most play or work because they love it.

No one wants to see one of their best employees leave, or as Sheeds would say his best cattle...but in real life this happens.

There's no fairy tales when your in the work place and no doubt most of you kids will learn this when you submit your 1st tax return.

Keeping in mind I think Ablett is 100% gone:

Is it disingenuous for Ablett/Pickering to say they will put off negotiations with Geelong until the end of the year? Because 'negotiations' implies there is something to actually negotiate!

It will reflect very poorly on Gaz if @ the end of the year if he and Pickering say to Geelong, 'Oh yeah right, about those negotiations, um we've already signed elsewhere. Woops! Sorry.'
Now why doesnt the Gaz work that one out:rolleyes:His manager is making him look slippery.

Apologies on invading the board, but TBH GAJ would be crazy from a career POV to turn down any reported offer from GC.

I think a lot of us fail to see that this is their career and compared to most of ours, theirs is short lived.

If a rival company came up to me and said 'Hey, we want to give you $50K more than what your on now for the same job here' my missus would kick me in the balls if I turned it down. I owe my company nothing, they owe me nothing so why not chase coin. We are so wrapped up in this illusion that all our players play for our club and logo and supporters and all that stuff that sells footy jumpers, but in all honesty I would imagine most play or work because they love it.

No one wants to see one of their best employees leave, or as Sheeds would say his best cattle...but in real life this happens.

There's no fairy tales when your in the work place and no doubt most of you kids will learn this when you submit your 1st tax return.

Superficially your correct. The life of a professional athlete is short , depending on the sport some last longer than others.Footballers are lucky if they have a playing life of ten years most last a lot less than that , so if middle of the road player got a a "Golden" offer one really couldn't expect him to refuse it.

Players like Ablett are different , they already earn far in excess of the average wage of an AFL player let alone a ordinary Joe Blow.If I was lucky I might work 40 years for a payout of the like of just one year of their wage , so in a way the short cycle thing becomes an irrelevant argument. On top of that , someone like GA could set himself up for life in a place like Geelong in a lot ways so that the earning capacity continues far beyond his playing career.

The choice , if he makes it, is all about huge money "now". How much his fathers experience would influence his decision making is open to conjecture. As I have said many times , I will always remember his efforts at Geelong fondly no matter what he decides , he has done the hard yards with us he deserves that. I would only recommend that he invests wisely as I'm nut sure the post game opportunities will be afforded him up there as they would have been down here.

!

Perhaps many posters here take values like honesty, integrity and loyalty more seriously than you do. It's your interpretation that he owes supporters anything, I don't recall anyone even suggesting anything remotely close. To even claim that disagreeing with his actions so far means personal envy is a joke. You may as well replace "Geelong" with "Ablett" as the "team" you support.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back