List Mgmt. Ablett to move to Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
im hoping some newspaper reporter asks pele for his opinion on this matter; and i hope his reply will be along the lines of " its certain that garry ablett jr will leave the cats''

seriously if he wants a 5 year deal geelong let him sign a 5 year deal, hes durable and hes a star i dont care if were shot for 3 or 2 years and have that over exposure, hes Garry ablett, it will rip the joy from my heart seeing him in other colours. sign him up costa!

"OK, they may not want to say it publicly, and that's fair enough - and that's why this innuendo that I'm hearing may be totally off the mark.

"If his best mates don't know, then certainly the people who told me wouldn't know.

So he knows nothing.He's just trying to get his name in the paper for reasons other than assaulting women or being stoned to the eyeballs.

i agree with the above.... i think he will stay. so far all we have are rumours from wayne carey, opinions from harley and people that know someone who knows someone who is pretty sure that he has signed or will sign. i think he will sign and am willing to put my house on it.

I am ashamed of a lot of people on this board.

:D

You people must'nt think much of Ablett's integrity and loyalty, if you are so quick to jump to the conclusion that just because he was seen at some meeting, or because he hasn't re-signed yet, that he will definitely go.

Why would we think anything of it - we don't know him, and what possible precedent of his behaviour do we have on which to base an assesment in light of such a huge financial discrepancy?

I have a theory (just like everyone else) ;). I have been trying not to buy into this whole saga, but this idea struck me last night and I'm curious as to what others might make of it.

Fellow Melbourne Storm fans might remember the saga of 2006, the year prior to the Gold Coast(!) Titans joining the NRL. Steve Turner verbally agreed to a three-year Titans contract, and then went and re-signed with the Storm. Turner stated that he was "unhappy with his decision and no longer wanted to go to the Gold Coast". As we all know, NRL contracts and trades are horribly public and this was all played out in the media.

I'm wondering if a similar situation has occurred with Ablett and GC17, but it's all happening behind closed doors. Perhaps he has signed a MOU, but has changed his mind. If this is the case, it's possible that the Cats are aware of the situation and are looking at the legalities of Ablett potentially breaching his MOU. It would explain why any announcement has been put back to post-season, and could also explain why Ablett won't announce if he intends to stay - perhaps he doesn't know if he can yet.

Obviously there's a lot of assumptions in this theory (such as Ablett wanting to stay), but with the precedent set by Turner in 2006 it doesn't seem so far-fetched. Does it? :eek:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am willing to bet anyone on this board $50 that Gary Ablett will stay.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Let me clarify this. I am only offering $50 to ONE person who wants to bet. If I was wrong, I can't afford to pay out everyone. So, it will be only the first person to bet me.

When it come out that he had met the GC during that AFL endorsed "tapping up" window I thought he was gone.

There was a stage earlier in the season where I thought maybe he might stay, there were a few stories around that the tide had turned.

Since then Bomber has had a few digs in the media, he is playing him up forward with Kelly and Chappy in the middle - it's almost dress rehersal stuff - and he has put the contract off to the end of the year. I don't think any are particularly positive signs that he will be staying.

Just thought I would add Gary Seniors comments on the matter;

"I get extremely disappointed regarding all the people who want to throw their hat in the ring because no one really knows yet. Gary doesn't know yet because he hasn't made up his mind."

Source: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...cides-his-future/story-e6frf9jf-1225880655427

But I thought Wayne has "mail" that he was leaving. Maybe he should give it to Gaz so he can let him know.

the website looks very Geelong-centric, and the memorabilia is obviously all signed Geelong stuff. Would Geelong supporters keep buying Ablett-signed paraphernalia if he was to go to the Gold Coast? Not suggesting this means he's staying, but if this is to be a successful business venture for the Abletts, then he would be best served to stay with the club.

Now just waiting for JamesPodsiadly.com, that is a website that would get a lot of hits :p

The website also looks very 1999. ;)

ahaha yeah its very uh... low key. I guess its just a temporary template until Gary Jr. changes his allegiance and they introduce a GC/Geelong split skin :p

MaxRooke.com would get a lot of hits, but would bring down your router every time you tried to visit.

it would actually cause your wireless router to grow a wire :D:D

the website looks very Geelong-centric, and the memorabilia is obviously all signed Geelong stuff. Would Geelong supporters keep buying Ablett-signed paraphernalia if he was to go to the Gold Coast? Not suggesting this means he's staying, but if this is to be a successful business venture for the Abletts, then he would be best served to stay with the club.

if the boots sell for $1million and the highest bidder is F. Costa then i think we've got him over the line!

Just thought I would add Gary Seniors comments on the matter;

"I get extremely disappointed regarding all the people who want to throw their hat in the ring because no one really knows yet. Gary doesn't know yet because he hasn't made up his mind."

Source: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...cides-his-future/story-e6frf9jf-1225880655427

But I thought Wayne has "mail" that he was leaving. Maybe he should give it to Gaz so he can let him know.

What a load of sanctimonious dross from Senior. Odd that Junior is more than capable of making another business decision yet he (according to Senior) isn't capable of deciding on his playing future when the details have been on the table for eight months and counting. Senior is very good at looking at the self [strike]ish[/strike] side of the equation but hopeless at seeing the other side.

I was fortunate enough to be invited to a football function last week at which a premiership player from another club said he couldn't recall in his time in football a player leaving a club hang in the breeze like Junior has.

Rant over! I hope the venture is a success.

What a load of sanctimonious dross from Senior. Odd that Junior is more than capable of making another business decision yet he (according to Senior) isn't capable of deciding on his playing future when the details have been on the table for eight months and counting. Senior is very good at looking at the self [strike]ish[/strike] side of the equation but hopeless at seeing the other side.

I was fortunate enough to be invited to a football function last week at which a premiership player from another club said he couldn't recall in his time in football a player leaving a club hang in the breeze like Junior has.

Rant over! I hope the venture is a success.

The problem the club and Gary have is this:
If, as he has said time and time again, he has not yet made a decision, he has been put in the position by the way the AFL has set this up, that the only decision he can make prior to the end of the season that he could possibly tell the club and the press about is that he is staying.
If he is, as seems to be the case, seriously contemplating going but is not yet fully decided, then the only way he can reasonably weigh it all up and come to a conclusion is after the season.
It is a unique and untenable position, based on the fact that the AFL is complicit in allowing contracted players to negotiate with another team. Unconscionable and possibly illegal, IMO (if a club was willing to take the AFL on over it). He is laso the best player in the AFL and the biggest name, so it's a perfect storm of problems.
You can't be expected to say yes or no (to going), when the only answer you can give at the time is no.
The game, supporters and culture of AFL would not support the idea of someone like GAJ running around for us, knowing full well he is going to another club next year.
So for that reason, I believe Gary sincerely hasn't made up his mind yet, but whatever decision he makes will not likely include loyalty as a factor. If he truly loved the club and everyone in it more than his own needs, he would have signed already, a la Selwood.
That doesn't mean he's going, just that at some level he is his father's son, who was, let's not forget, passionately selfish and disloyal. I don't think GAJ is that bad, but he is still an Ablett, and that's the price we pay for their genius. In fact, considering the spotlight GAJ has lived his life under, and his father's many failings, I think he has turned out be a pretty good young man.

No sure why you have decided not to name the player you mentioned. Are you afraid he might find out that you told everyone.

The problem the club and Gary have is this:
If, as he has said time and time again, he has not yet made a decision, he has been put in the position by the way the AFL has set this up, that the only decision he can make prior to the end of the season that he could possibly tell the club and the press about is that he is staying.
If he is, as seems to be the case, seriously contemplating going but is not yet fully decided, then the only way he can reasonably weigh it all up and come to a conclusion is after the season.
It is a unique and untenable position, based on the fact that the AFL is complicit in allowing contracted players to negotiate with another team. Unconscionable and possibly illegal, IMO (if a club was willing to take the AFL on over it). He is laso the best player in the AFL and the biggest name, so it's a perfect storm of problems.
You can't be expected to say yes or no (to going), when the only answer you can give at the time is no.
The game, supporters and culture of AFL would not support the idea of someone like GAJ running around for us, knowing full well he is going to another club next year.
So for that reason, I believe Gary sincerely hasn't made up his mind yet, but whatever decision he makes will not likely include loyalty as a factor. If he truly loved the club and everyone in it more than his own needs, he would have signed already, a la Selwood.
That doesn't mean he's going, just that at some level he is his father's son, who was, let's not forget, passionately selfish and disloyal. I don't think GAJ is that bad, but he is still an Ablett, and that's the price we pay for their genius. In fact, considering the spotlight GAJ has lived his life under, and his father's many failings, I think he has turned out be a pretty good young man.

There's much I'd disagree within in your post but nicely put. The thing that gets up my nose with people like Senior is they conveniently dismiss the other side of the equation - which in this case is the club. Chris Judd handled his departure well. He realised he had a responsibility to make his decision in time for the Weagles to plan for a Judd-less future and give them the opportunity to get something for him. The result was that the Weagles were able to negotiate a deal which enabled them to come out of a difficult situation with some pluses.

There's much I'd disagree within in your post but nicely put. The thing that gets up my nose with people like Senior is they conveniently dismiss the other side of the equation - which in this case is the club. Chris Judd handled his departure well. He realised he had a responsibility to make his decision in time for the Weagles to plan for a Judd-less future and give them the opportunity to get something for him. The result was that the Weagles were able to negotiate a deal which enabled them to come out of a difficult situation with some pluses.

Sadly, apart from his manager, the person with the most influence over GAJ is most likely GAS! Hard to imagine him saying "Son, there's more important things in life than money. You have to think about loyalty, mate-ship and how you'll be remembered in AFL history. And don't worry about me, mate. I can look after myself!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back